Fresh Grabs

That Academy Records shop in the East Village is at the top of my list for NYC shops when I visit there. Nice grabs!
Yep that's where I scored The Cramps. Impossible to find Cramps records in the South. Noticed the other Academy is more CD focused but that worked out. Heading to Brooklyn today and Earwax, the store of WFMU DJ and pure new Yorker Fabio

Just delivered. Took over a month to get here from the UK. Ruby was the name of our dog that we lost just days before Thanksgiving. We played this song over and over during the drive home from adopting her at a rescue group. Miss her so much.

View attachment 169800

Coincidently, my dog is also called Ruby and im from Leeds, the city where the Kaiser Chiefs are from!

Sorry for your loss of your dog. Such a hard time to go through!

337035843_912520143401591_1985716179921151205_n.jpg

Did anyone else grab the new M83, and if so did you find it even more terrible that the usual GZ/MRP quality?
LP1 is pretty unlistenable with the crackle. LP2 is a bit better but still noisy af.

This is the black, but from the few comments on discogs for the other versions doesn't seem good.

Last edited:
Did anyone else grab the new M83, and if so did you find it even more terrible that the usual GZ/MRP quality?
LP1 is pretty unlistenable with the crackle. LP2 is a bit better but still noisy af.

This is the black, but from the few comments on discogs for the other versions doesn't seem good.

Ick. That sucks. Sounds like the recent reissue of the first Cymande album my wife bought me - side 2 is damn near unlistenable and it's one of the most filthy scuffed and scoured pieces of wax I've brought into the house. The worst for sealed brand new by a country mile.

Ick. That sucks. Sounds like the recent reissue of the first Cymande album my wife bought me - side 2 is damn near unlistenable and it's one of the most filthy scuffed and scoured pieces of wax I've brought into the house. The worst for sealed brand new by a country mile.
Yeah, this one is one of the worst new records I've experienced. Closest I have is a likely defective version of Mama's Gun from VMP.

I was pretty excited about this one since I thought this album is a return to form after Junk, but it's a struggle to get through.

I think I'm the only person who loves Junk lmao
Haha, yeah I'm pretty down on Junk. I may be more down on it than others.

It's not terrible, there's definitely some good songs. For me, I just feel like the majority of their albums have specific feelings and flow to them, and I just don't get the concept behind Junk.

There are two modern large scale disappointments for me: every Gorillaz album after The Fall, and Junk.

Last edited:
M.T.B. – Consenting Adults (Criss Cross Jazz, 2021 Record Store Day Pressing)
Arthur Verocai – Timeless (Mochilla, 2021 Record Store Day Pressing)

I usually save Fresh Grabs for the weekend, but I popped into my local shop earlier today and they have a big sale on with some of the cheapest new releases that I have seen in a long while. Blue Note Classics, the Blue Note "R+R=NOW" album, Maisha & Gary Bartz, and a ton of RSD releases for £10 or less. They even had copies of the amazing Roy Hargrove & Mulgrew Miller Resonance release for £5 a pop. Insanely good prices. I could have walked away with a lot more but limited myself to these 2. Should have come to £22 but the owner rang them up for £20. Talk about a great shop!!!

IMG_4508.JPG

Goodwill groobs. Took a wrong turn which led me to a location I hadn't been before. These must have come from the same collection as the discs are beautiful. Jackets all VG+, while the MoFi Aja has some shelf wear.

There was another guy thumbing that must've not known what was going on because he thumbed through this stack and only grabbed the Blondie, then decided against picking it up. All for $15, definitely one of my better thrift hauls. The Simon and Garfunkels are some odd 90s-ish represses, superclean, definitely not bootlegs and only 1 has a barcode.

6BD6F835-12B2-45D5-A468-AB7F67755DEA.jpeg

Goodwill groobs. Took a wrong turn which led me to a location I hadn't been before. These must have come from the same collection as the discs are beautiful. Jackets all VG+, while the MoFi Aja has some shelf wear.

There was another guy thumbing that must've not known what was going on because he thumbed through this stack and only grabbed the Blondie, then decided against picking it up. All for $15, definitely one of my better thrift hauls. The Simon and Garfunkels are some odd 90s-ish represses, superclean, definitely not bootlegs and only 1 has a barcode.

View attachment 170044
Wow! MoFi Steely Dan is a badass Goodwill find (the rest look good too).

The Steely Dan Greatest , does that have R L in the dead wax? If so, you’ve done very well!

View attachment 170044

Back