Fresh Grabs

Jimmy Deuchar Quartet - Dig Deuchar, Don't Dance (Esquire, 1956 First 10" Pressing)
Victor Feldman - Septet (Tempo, 1955 First 10" Pressing)
Ronnie Ross - Ronnie Ross Plays: No. 1 (Harmonic, 1967 First 10" Pressing)
Strings And Keys - S/T (Debut, 1953 First 10" Pressing)
Gerry Mulligan And His Ten-Tette - S/T (Capitol, 1953 First 10" Pressing)
The Tony Kinsey Quartet – Foursome (Parlophone, 1960 First 7" Pressing)

A 10"//7" extravaganza. This is a few week's worth of acquisitions. Last week I was listening to these and realised how underappreciated the 10" releases can be, so I posted a few on Instagram as a "Challenge" and quite a few people joined in and shared theirs which was fun. Most of the records here are British jazz releases, but the "Strings And Keys" might be most interesting. It's Charles Mingus on contrabass with Spaulding Givens on piano, and was the first release on Mingus' "Debut Records" label.

IMG_3553.JPG

'Big' John Patton - Blue John (Blue Note, 1986 First French Pressing)
The Thelonious Monk Orchestra - At Town Hall (Riverside Records, 1960 First UK Pressing)
The Jimmy Giuffre 3 - S/T (London Records, 1962 First 7" Pressing)

We went on a short weekend break outside of London last weekend and I hit up a record shop and a few charity shops at the same time. The charity shops were pretty much a bust until I dug out this sleeveless Monk for 50p. Well worth the dig.

IMG_3554.JPG

Centipede - Septober Energy (RCA Neon, 1971 First Pressing)
Harry Beckett's Joy Unlimited - Memories Of Bacares (Ogun, 1975 First Pressing)
Red Norvo's Fabulous Jam Session - S/T (Dial, 1951 First Pressing)
Chris McGregor's Brotherhood Of Breath - S/T (RCA Neon, 1971 First Pressing)

One of the record shops local to my work, Reckless Records in Soho, bought a huge collection of British jazz and have been drip feeding it into their stock over the past few weeks. I bought the Centipede early last week and a few days later I popped in again and did a double take when I saw the Harry Beckett. Both priced really fairly which seems to be a rarity in this day and age.

IMG_3556.JPG

Graham Collier – Down Another Road: Stockholm Jazz Days '69 (My Only Desire, 2023 First Pressing)
Don Rendell / Ian Carr Quintet - Live At The Union 1966 (Stamford Audio, 2010 First Limited Pressing)

Such a great time for British Jazz discoveries. I listened to both of these today and they are absolutely killer. The Don Rendell is actually quite old now and the audio isnt the best, but the Collier is a stand-out release and sounds incredible.

IMG_3555.JPG

Finally some miscellaneous bits. The bag came from the same place that I found the Jimmy Giuffre 7" and John Patton. The Joe Harriott Biography/Discography is something that I have been wanting for ages but some jokers are trying to get 30-40 quid for it. No way I was paying that and patience paid off and I was able to get this for much less. I'm super excited about the original Alice Coltrane/Charlie Haden/Billy Higgins poster, it's incredible and I cant wait to get it framed. Finally, a really random poster that was included in a Discogs order, random but cool.

IMG_3563.JPG

These all landed today, I haven't even had time to take the shrink off

clockwise.
Electric Wizard's "Come My Fanatics", which I missed when walmart had a low-priced deal, but my man @Hemotep came in clutch and PIF'd unexpectedly
S. E. Rogie "Dead Men Don't Smoke Marijuana". Picked this up from plaidroom's sale last week, it's just a delight.
Rough Guide to African Guitar -- another plaidroom pickup, another jam.
Tricky with DJ Muggs and Grease, "Juxtapose"; again, plaidroom. This one is a MOV and not exactly an easy find, but it was in their [Damaged] section and between that and the sale, I got it for a veritable song. Although it can be fun to sing along to "I like the girls" the real standout track here is "wash my soul"

tt_GZ4XGrVqxodmYiSnyoNwemLD-XuPPh4i0Ksj9r-5TboUFJDTx6ncEnLra4Opu3nc8YQfCsmKQjGCkB6ou1Kj1KUlIT8mLs7ZnQMGd8xO4s-WlOd0pgaYONQX5bNp10G9QKe9vohtiFqaFJwVgNqgqZIK6AUb9HO4KrSuqtHxdk9gllUOiO5EipfZuuI-fQk0kex_jj7axPoy1yvUqzly1WDlir8vGQVI2VppA9ZV2GoUcW39WJdHY4JhHML5_YlsNUuAg6OgBbRKqIKWzgnF3ZCUk9hGf7Bi6fzIX-vVjVdQpONdEmyo3dJj4nrVOnlAci8dQLmEKqz-2NEPXvPbazaft8SgOBO0WuMIUKdlPr3WBj0i5bgg3cE21SdmzOE69bYCUfummPb4iGSvNzV9Z5PK7E1W_DjY3wNCvReQq1bDtNYw19pitRqBSOBMnab2ZV6YIvsUtg1hPE-rQu2NKLsPWRBKikP9jboTImJtq4Y8j-v2jBGxopuxV0CXutBzYDFjPGYSnSECGuVbGBHsJklLlgFsV_OlDIrGx1802uXtmo7hX8kPDxPBQH_V2exYpNHZyjWlD1xmVGO_SX8HPTkLpLLIMbyNC3ptUxlbBpKwpbQ3UfJyP4_BtgWJwN0Smqz5g8bvNnqg7jXVp9mBww-DcZ6lFE-qfLdx9QKW-O27A0zSzwFK7ezT8AjfxVpmaK8R6ae0JnEU1Fve-z76dj-oVzgpe2A19xiOPkZHFIu2OmUkz8oLJHZjQo8jSZSlOmGoywEaiqJwcRuMaFOUxvWcmdVGsu5MXdHhyraw9xH-BJ8UVRDB56Btff3p5F286NFQpBMznfYAYPIETQ9XJLkZe32x4LRq5r68Fc3yw3n0BN8aeqDHlskbFt7TWH8Z9e3nqsdMkrUbs1U-Wjk5iTPBEQ1_PiAKZoxtoR8b7fqQlcw=w966-h937-no

and also, because Chez Yukbon is where fancy ladies like to hang out, Lady Day and Nina

tT2UrdIDtKQR-e7WyMoEGc3gBW4MatPQgc4Un6B6p7Z-zqje-xSMm4TcDYy0f46x__DyYhGmPER0yk8XXF-CvWfK2IBJScd0gFFGpQaoi9LYdP3-I4ZlWhbj7s2UNy7tOSYAVslw97mfADlAKXVpSqxMk5Ov50V4rEtTkh64fQWvg-yt-1tyReuZ2KxrWZLdM5ogooU_sasw-nrOByvoBrU_BH2pSmrE0ayGMrzXipVsMdFCVI1wlLs5QQq3Z-ecLG7OWwNlJY5KuZiBZDYxCTY54BVgcbqPbp1uGm1oZFt5WPX0e0S7xYv9SeWeHZXnocIqAamLCJLjxIXkvFxTYUgagychI0Q6uI_O3I4WMTE6Z2Cthlstq6sAy2lpJb524KWbH5oC3nyH9EPCC0BAWLfRTAPbOVlsGZIVBLm0GO_V1JDykaEuFwfSmI4GdoAiqxW28rb_YnZtMkIwGi2sZGpSJRSDPqfeVpl_qG7VybksxyXKJtWp_qK6Ytm5ArCSsKLNc51R0KvFwSn0ciY5A91vXDCVR_LTEfthUXyQ0lHVcPzpgF0OywhuKlkGGIsgjbm7q7aKsKmWmoGsxKDARVwFSw3uRzJy_WeHa55dywIvOmA-sOXV78uAPZOxbzlEpaJyNG3fw8DONVWwUg5OtNTkM6WCeBhao7H9cRxFeHOklfOFFaqYOR9StIW_u5g88vsDjDaT-PZa2gmcd7pyxhB8mVaX_rkvMYPxMqk0CvCB0spkIhIPKGHm5f9Y7NYLKt7He4iTBviS5HMtBnSIsV3UBl1mE-GjL0BtI5tVkPnos9OGM38f7BITvX1GG2V0l-Iui-G4eDNyRJv1gb329daSgUNYq5wECtEsl-0B7n10pNdKtfw9ZD73C985Z2OaXSqqwvkzsnSq7_YooEeLjFB8OKrBExQ0Ts-6e14vjbaEsS1Z0Q=w473-h937-no

And then to round it out, I put in a bid for a lot of used minidiscs on ebay and now find myself in posession of more Dr Who radio serials than you can shake a stick at. a lot of two or four part serials here.

6T4sWnC5tUC6mzs0qYvA0q1AgY181ANAxDZ7FlFwpwJTt5DSQOHfw1ux9jjXBcoQNSNe12eXrq9K_KQavk11uGlCeA5-VoBe3MIigw64ZM68hukCspQC1Xn3-GtGyvRLxbnocmZ2dll0PcuCRSOOP8CeO_pgNNCd8mcVUuWh1ebNTuiC3769Rz4nNx_pgobWu3sGpOzX7Dk4j5cM6SG4BbO-loAHgGZ-PXydxXSQXBxfaFnD1w8kxKkeg37SJCTx8ueXrTQ6bXFrcehFLL_glFmsmt0Xt-TWnvWlWI3kOblz5W8yaqukk7d_NtSV2-5WQv1CKHhhHQDNhbTvrKOR5Joc7hb9s1s29cKYETsRXkl6djTpr7PAzuOl1TIQ7lNY0Q-KQOBVGGv8T7HQCqF4AK8QweIcTQqRX2QBkr1q3FMnb-Nib-Vbxm7tDnHk6JhDNyeReChuE8cmimg9t0vqPCIvhMugOrMgRW14hvzLtUozj4jhZNg02Z6TDhi6SVxYExKD6g2BaUytYbrZQuSwHrutQyrpMard35bgKVln2vz5-uQNmdoglEtWV-DyoUQP9-SWNlNA4Kg4dVbOYfB4zHwDfBPXgBw0qDBvfclulmH5sUmZPMeb69alZy62Ppw8cDsOvGxgB2Ms16jPOkAtPoU3xKD_L_dFumOff1LdoAIMpXe4rE7tFATbbv6QVfE4rJyet5m62ii2APgnERzgsDaigodXgzIMR9tZrfE0ofRF7uHV0eRkbtqkXuNtmhwWcPHt5UWcBQb8c27x1zNg-gHDhtOpQ56c6taBLwau-hwi6_qMoJSt10il3IGr2kDrbsbX127pI_VMxvu6eXaFihRyipTYMqhzTZR1gSmXzZ7vdFMxkh9LpjtEMefWXb7HWdtHKdsjS1NDbA_MoJCmwh_0qZ2wm9l0oHZkTiCa7RhlquT_qw=w703-h937-no

Jumped on this Steely Dan album within minutes of its appearance on Record City's daily drop overnight Sunday/Monday of this week. I was really struck by the jacket art, and the fact I'd never seen it before. Looks like it's a one-off, Japan only comp. Steely Dan - Steely Dan
Attempting to maintain some level of rationality, I cleared a few titles that had been sitting in my cart, but left the Mobley for good measure.

Got an email from Record City earlier today informing me my order had shipped, today; arrived at my door a few hours later. Time warp.

EDIT: Someone on discogs posted "Sayoko Yamaguchi the famous cover model for the Aja album graces this 7 song Japanese comp." I like the symmetry of that.

SDJ.jpg

HMJ.jpg

Last edited:
20230304_131433.jpg

Sweet PIF from @SmTpDxOr and my first pick-up based on the 1001 Albums Generator. Been hanging onto some birthday money for our trip to Vancouver to see Jason Isbell tomorrow, but when the wife suggested we go by the record store today I decided The Pogues needed to come home with us - so it's technically from my parents, who I'm quite sure would hate it!

View attachment 168718

Sweet PIF from @SmTpDxOr and my first pick-up based on the 1001 Albums Generator. Been hanging onto some birthday money for our trip to Vancouver to see Jason Isbell tomorrow, but when the wife suggested we go by the record store today I decided The Pogues needed to come home with us - so it's technically from my parents, who I'm quite sure would hate it!
Lemme know how that Pogues sounds. I've had my eye on that one for a while but haven't grabbed it yet

Lemme know how that Pogues sounds. I've had my eye on that one for a while but haven't grabbed it yet

The new remasters they did, I wanna say 9, maybe 10, years ago* all sound really good to my ear. Clean pressings too. The 4 I have were all mastered at abbey road and pressed at MPO. Reminds me I need to get the last few albums of theirs.

*Edit: 2015 so 8 years ago

The new remasters they did, I wanna say 9, maybe 10, years ago* all sound really good to my ear. Clean pressings too. The 4 I have were all mastered at abbey road and pressed at MPO. Reminds me I need to get the last few albums of theirs.

Did not know that. Nice. Will have to pick that up. If that's the one they're still pressing, which it won't be, because I've decided I want it.

Did not know that. Nice. Will have to pick that up. If that's the one they're still pressing, which it won't be, because I've decided I want it.

Look like in 2015 that was the European press and the US got a 😒 Rainbo 😒 press. It was repressed by MPO in Europe in 2020 but there hasn’t been a U.S. repress.

"This repressed version is similar to Rum Sodomy & The Lash but with no concentric circles around the centre hole. The code following the laser etched MPO suggests a later pressing. There is no download voucher in this version."
per Discogs entry

Showed up after being shipped Feb 3. Sat in a warehouse in LA for almost 2 weeks (thanks UPS).

Luna - Lunapark (Run Out Grooves expanded edition).
I now have an original cd, the Captured Tracks version from the Luna Box. Doing an A/B I would say this new version has a nicer sound stage than the Captured Tracks version. All the instruments are nice and distinct. Still kicking myself for not picking up the expanded version of Penthouse.
IMG_1572.jpg

Look like in 2015 that was the European press and the US got a 😒 Rainbo 😒 press. It was repressed by MPO in Europe in 2020 but there hasn’t been a U.S. repress.

I don't know about the 416, but my local here in the 250 more often has the European releases than the US ones.

Back