Fresh Grabs

Eillish is from a couple of weeks ago but thought I'd include it here.

Billie Eillish - When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?
Van Morrison - Tupelo Honey
Aretha Franklin - Aretha Now
Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues
Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygéne

6yw9Fl4h.jpg

A couple of cool vinyl finds at Walmart. I've never seen Stranger Things, but there's tons of great songs on this soundtrack. Plus, damn, awesome color! And with a 7"! Not sure where the crease on that Foreigner one came from. Probably from sitting in the cart. Ah well. Cool hits compilation with a new song! Cool of Walmart to put it on vinyl 8 years later.0804192258a_HDR.jpg0804192259_HDR.jpg

I've never really liked the moniker "world music", covering pretty much everything not sung in English. I guess both these releases would be lumped in that rubric but they couldn't be more different. The Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan live album is pretty much his introduction to western audiences, and it's as remarkable as everything else traditional he put out. Dona Onete is 80 and still making the most amazing, joyous music on Rebujo. It feels like such a great album for the summer.
20190805_162436.jpg

It’s was my birthday at the weekend and my girlfriend definitely spoiled me with jazz goodness.

Grant Green - Grants First Stand (Blue Note BN80 2019)
Freddie Hubbard - Open Sesame (Blue Note BN80 2019)

Even though I didn’t tell her specifically, these are the 2 I was most looking forward to!! Grant Green is a masterful guitar player, I have a copybook of ‘Grantstand’ that I regularly play so looking forward to spinning this one!

Verve: The Sound Of America
Very similar to the Blue Note Uncompromising Expression book, this focuses on the history of Verve with some fantastic photos included.

Open Sky: Sonny Rollins and his World of Improvisation- Eric Nisenson
Looks to be a great book, with a forward by Rollins himself where he states that Nisenson did a fantastic job of breaking down Rollins life story.

Coltrane: A Story Of Sound - Ben Ratliff
I’m a third of the way in so far and it’s a superb book. Ratliff focuses on the history of coltranes recording so over his personal life (although that does play a minor part in the book).

BCFF5B53-1939-403C-A1A0-F6DF04D47A5A.jpeg

Plus I had a package arrive that I have been super super excited for.

John Coltrane - Blue Train (Blue Note 1957 Original Mono pressing)
This is a legendary album and Coltranes first and only recording for Blue Note. He has a stellar line up for this, with lee Morgan killing in on the trumpet. Coltrane actually wrote all 4 of the compositions as well.

6630515D-9B1F-4875-8564-08882F5B7209.jpeg

Back