Fresh Grabs

It looks just about perfect! I'm going to have to dig around in their Discogs shop after the move. I've been happy with all my RCJP purchases, but everything you've posted from Ella looks just phenomenal...
If they write NM for the media. It's perfect. Like as clean as a new AP or Mofi out of the sleeve, for records pressed 45 years ago. And the jackets at VG+ are essentially all what I would consider NM for albums of this age. The prices are higher but man are they solid. And I ordered it, from Japan, on Monday.

Last edited:
If they write NM for the media. It's perfect. Like as clean as a new AP or Mofi out of the sleeve, for records pressed 45 years ago. And the jackets at VG+ are essentially all which I would consider NM for albums of this age. The prices are higher but man are they solid. And I ordered it, from Japan, on Monday.
Ella, you say? Is this an alternative to Record City?

Nice haul. That Jimmy Smith album is fantastic – one of my favorites from him!
That's the one I dropped the needle on first.
Really good. The mono sounds great on my system.
Maybe because of a cantilever cart??

I almost grabbed Got My MOJO Workin.
The grunts got a little out of hand on that one. Ha

Nice work on that Young Marble Giants, too – I picked up a copy of that at Hi-Voltage last time I was in Tacoma. Great album!
So good. That and the Sonic Youth were my favorite finds. Both clean ,original pressings for cheap. I've been hooked on A Thousand Leaves and Murray St. recently so I was excited to check one of them off.
I went there cause they posted that Bright Eyes 7" on discogs, so was a much more expensive day then planned.

So good. That and the Sonic Youth were my favorite finds. Both clean ,original pressings for cheap. I've been hooked on A Thousand Leaves and Murray St. recently so I was excited to check one of them off.
I went there cause they posted that Bright Eyes 7" on discogs, so was a much more expensive day then planned.
Nice! Thousand Leaves is next on my SY want list.

Last edited:
Maybe you're already aware, but if not, Alison Stratton and Phil Moxham went on to form a band called Weekend with guitarists Spike and Simon Booth, and saxophonist Larry Stabbins. Similar to early Everything But The Girl in that it was a mix of British indie pop and Latin-tinged jazz. Their sole studio album, La Varieté, is an absolute gem. Booth and Stabbins later went on to form the soul jazz group Working Week with singer Juilet Roberts, and they're quite good as well, if you like that sort of thing. And again, apologies if you're already familiar with any or all of the above!
Nope I haven't heard of it, so thank you!

If you have a mono switch give it a try and let us know what you think. 😁
Ok, weird but on all my other mono records there's not a playback issue, including that Organ Grinder above, Miles Relaxin, Coltrane MFT etc..
However, on the Contemporary stuff I do get the distortion at the higher end for the first time during playback.

Looks like there is a simple double y cord trick that works well.
I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the advice.

1658495644494.png

Ok, weird but on all my other mono records there's not a playback issue, including that Organ Grinder above, Miles Relaxin, Coltrane MFT etc..
However, on the Contemporary stuff I do get the distortion at the higher end for the first time during playback.

Looks like there is a simple double y cord trick that works well.
I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the advice.

View attachment 146607
Clunky, but that should do fine. You will be eliminating scads, scads I say, of noise created by the horizontal signal output of your stereo cartridge. It’s been a loong time since I thought about what’s going on here so please forgive the clunkiness of my weak description.

Last edited:
Clunky, but that should do fine. You will be eliminating scads, scads I say, of noise created by the horizontal signal output of your stereo cartridge. It’s been a loong time since I thought about what’s going on here so please forgive the clunkiness of my weak description.
Maybe the grooves are a little wider on these old 50s cuts allowing more deviation with the needle.
Not sure but my rudimentary theory only.

They do sound really good BTW and DuNann was a man of recording talent for his era.

Maybe the grooves are a little wider on these old 50s cuts allowing more deviation with the needle.
Not sure but my rudimentary theory only.

They do sound really good BTW and DuNann was a man of recording talent for his era.
It’s more complicated than groove width. I could stumble my way through an explanation but it would be more beneficial if you did a little research on the ‘net. The improvements are real though when getting rid of the vertical info from a stereo cartridge.
Many great recordists from the early LP era and some of my best sounding records are mono, jazz and rock mostly. Large orchestra not so much.

Back