Fresh Grabs

TSnaOtP.jpg
G9d9EMF.jpg

Snagged these two yesterday. That’s a 57’ reissue of the Modern Jazz Quartet and an original pressing of Right Now!
Great score on the McLean, not an easy one to find at all.

Ambrose Campbell - High Life Today (Columbia, 1966 First Pressing)
Amalgam - Prayer For Peace (Transatlantic, 1969 First Pressing)
Magician - S/T (Hobo Records, 2022 Trunk Records Limited Pressing)
Colosseum - Valentyne Suite (Vertigo, 1969 First Pressing)

An interesting mix. The Ambrose Campbell has been on my radar for a while but rarely pops up in any condition other than poor. It features Harry Beckett on trumpet and is a mix of jazz and high-life.
I first read of Amalgam in "Vinyl Freak" by John Corbett. They were a British avant-garde group led by bassist Trevor Watts and this was their debut.
The next one, Magician, comes with some sadness and the main draw for me was the saxophonist Barbara Thompson. I have been a big fan of hers for a while and as it happens she lives just down the road from me. Sadly, she has been battling dementia for quite a while now and passed away yesterday morning, a few days shy of being 78 years of age. I will certainly be listening to this, and others, in memory of her.
Finally, as fate would have it I was briefly chatting with @Thackeraye about Colosseum (which in a twist was led by Jon Hiseman, Barbara Thompson's husband) and a few days later an offer I put in on Ebay for this first pressing of Valentyne Suite was accepted. Maybe I need to talk about my 'wants' more often on here...

IMG_2137.JPG

Ambrose Campbell - High Life Today (Columbia, 1966 First Pressing)
Amalgam - Prayer For Peace (Transatlantic, 1969 First Pressing)
Magician - S/T (Hobo Records, 2022 Trunk Records Limited Pressing)
Colosseum - Valentyne Suite (Vertigo, 1969 First Pressing)

An interesting mix. The Ambrose Campbell has been on my radar for a while but rarely pops up in any condition other than poor. It features Harry Beckett on trumpet and is a mix of jazz and high-life.
I first read of Amalgam in "Vinyl Freak" by John Corbett. They were a British avant-garde group led by bassist Trevor Watts and this was their debut.
The next one, Magician, comes with some sadness and the main draw for me was the saxophonist Barbara Thompson. I have been a big fan of hers for a while and as it happens she lives just down the road from me. Sadly, she has been battling dementia for quite a while now and passed away yesterday morning, a few days shy of being 78 years of age. I will certainly be listening to this, and others, in memory of her.
Finally, as fate would have it I was briefly chatting with @Thackeraye about Colosseum (which in a twist was led by Jon Hiseman, Barbara Thompson's husband) and a few days later an offer I put in on Ebay for this first pressing of Valentyne Suite was accepted. Maybe I need to talk about my 'wants' more often on here...

View attachment 145467
Happy to have helped!!!

Been on a big doom metal kick lately. I haven no excuses for not picking up these Khemmis albums earlier. I meant to pick up Hunted back when it was the Needles & Grooves AotM a few years back and never got around to it.
1657651459345.png

Sale pick ups from Darkside Records.
1657651716502.png

Showed up this morning. I thought this had been delayed until November. :unsure: Spinning it now and it sounds perfect so far.
1657651831456.png

Been on a big doom metal kick lately. I haven no excuses for not picking up these Khemmis albums earlier. I meant to pick up Hunted back when it was the Needles & Grooves AotM a few years back and never got around to it.
View attachment 145691

Sale pick ups from Darkside Records.
View attachment 145692

Showed up this morning. I thought this had been delayed until November. :unsure: Spinning it now and it sounds perfect so far.
View attachment 145693
Those price tags on that top batch look familiar, Hi-Voltage?

Back