Fresh Grabs

The last couple weeks have been weird on the used front. I put last weeks weird 80s hair rock batch in the bargain bin thread, this then got weirder. A lot of weird miscellany I left behind: college a capella, parody jazz albums, etc. But it was just too odd a group to let sit.

First, the least weird, I just bought this one for the testimony on the back of the sleeve: “They make music the way Boston cabbies drive”, A local Mass pressing of a Mass band just rocking out like they’re in a 50 degree garage in Southie. Not terribly shocking to find it in NH but it’s a pretty fun one.

The Real Kids - Outta PlacePXL_20220516_165247759.MP.jpg

Second, seeing Disney records in the used bins isn’t really weird. I think last week it was Uncle Remus and that stayed there for someone else to pick up. This Disney one though? Extremely hard to find, and this has been opened but is still surrounded by the shrink and plays really clean. Killing Me Softly and a Hair Medley on steel drums? It actually kind of transports you to Disney (or maybe the beach? Still the coasts) as weird as it sounds. I double took when I saw it in there. The normal price on it is so far out that it was never one I seriously watched but I was thrilled to pick it up on the cheap.

Walt Disney World Adventureland Steel Band - S/T

PXL_20220516_165235286.MP.jpg

Finally, I don't even know on this one. Bahamas Jazz? I figured for $2 and really unique looking cover it was worth a run. Not much on this out there but generally if I can find a Caribbean pressing of anything up here it's worth a flyer to see what it's about.

Third Stream Three - La Fin 2 A.M. Jazz At Charlie Charlie's

PXL_20220516_165358701.MP.jpg

I also snagged a couple heavier post-rock/post-metal type finds as…well I’ve been trying to try new genres on wax and they seemed well liked genre wise. We will see. They felt like easy enough sells/PIFs should it come down to it given this stuff holds an oddly high re-sale value (probably why I never really tired in the first place). Toe was really cool, and I had a lot of respect for Russian Circles even if it's not one I will likely go back to much.

Russian Circles - Geneva
toe - For Long Tomorrow

PXL_20220516_165432231.jpg

PXL_20220516_165415834.jpg

Grabbed this from a Good Records Instagram ad. Was a lot more than I like to pay but there was like a 15% off for purchasing through Instagram so 🤷🏼‍♂️. It sounds great and arrived in great condition

Attachments

• 2B8EEAA9-9E03-41B2-8EF9-5032943DECB6.jpeg
    2B8EEAA9-9E03-41B2-8EF9-5032943DECB6.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 3
  • E420A366-AA0A-4441-8D5D-793EB3156E85.jpeg
    E420A366-AA0A-4441-8D5D-793EB3156E85.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 3
The last couple weeks have been weird on the used front. I put last weeks weird 80s hair rock batch in the bargain bin thread, this then got weirder. A lot of weird miscellany I left behind: college a capella, parody jazz albums, etc. But it was just too odd a group to let sit.

First, the least weird, I just bought this one for the testimony on the back of the sleeve: “They make music the way Boston cabbies drive”, A local Mass pressing of a Mass band just rocking out like they’re in a 50 degree garage in Southie. Not terribly shocking to find it in NH but it’s a pretty fun one.

The Real Kids - Outta PlaceView attachment 139489

Second, seeing Disney records in the used bins isn’t really weird. I think last week it was Uncle Remus and that stayed there for someone else to pick up. This Disney one though? Extremely hard to find, and this has been opened but is still surrounded by the shrink and plays really clean. Killing Me Softly and a Hair Medley on steel drums? It actually kind of transports you to Disney (or maybe the beach? Still the coasts) as weird as it sounds. I double took when I saw it in there. The normal price on it is so far out that it was never one I seriously watched but I was thrilled to pick it up on the cheap.

Walt Disney World Adventureland Steel Band - S/T

View attachment 139486

Finally, I don't even know on this one. Bahamas Jazz? I figured for $2 and really unique looking cover it was worth a run. Not much on this out there but generally if I can find a Caribbean pressing of anything up here it's worth a flyer to see what it's about.

Third Stream Three - La Fin 2 A.M. Jazz At Charlie Charlie's

View attachment 139485

I also snagged a couple heavier post-rock/post-metal type finds as…well I’ve been trying to try new genres on wax and they seemed well liked genre wise. We will see. They felt like easy enough sells/PIFs should it come down to it given this stuff holds an oddly high re-sale value (probably why I never really tired in the first place). Toe was really cool, and I had a lot of respect for Russian Circles even if it's not one I will likely go back to much.

Russian Circles - Geneva
toe - For Long Tomorrow

View attachment 139482

View attachment 139483

If you haven't check it out, I really recommend toe's album "the book about my idle plot on a vague anxiety". I think it's their best, followed closely by "songs,ideas we forgot" EP.

Black vinyl. Thought it was the RSD But doesn’t really matter to me! Pressing is great

I had reached out to the label - the "RSD" in Germany was actually black.

I thought Jpc might have had the other one but looks like that's a Bandcamp exclusive.

Was finally able to visit the recently moved Amoeba Records while in LA this weekend.
Below is a culmination of our pickups between my wife and I. Not pictured is the GNGO stack, but trust me, she spent almost as much as we did.

I really loved the old spot and to be honest, the new location felt smaller. Not only in space but inventory. But without knowing, it’s probably the same square footage or close to it. I still enjoyed digging there.We were there for a couple of hours, but next time through, we’ll check out the 2 places that @CAPacelli recommended. Interestingly, Record Safari had a pop up tent at the Just Like Heaven festival but I didn’t really have time to check it out.

Totally surprised that they had Siamese Dream because I thought it was out of print. And same with Seasons In The Abyss. The Beastie Boys completes the collection and I couldn’t remember if my copy of the mighty lemon drops album was a promo or not so I bought it anyway. The rest belong to me lady.

4EA18E4A-6213-442B-AE74-D2DC3507DFB8.jpeg

Was finally able to visit the recently moved Amoeba Records while in LA this weekend.
Below is a culmination of our pickups between my wife and I. Not pictured is the GNGO stack, but trust me, she spent almost as much as we did.

I really loved the old spot and to be honest, the new location felt smaller. Not only in space but inventory. But without knowing, it’s probably the same square footage or close to it. I still enjoyed digging there.We were there for a couple of hours, but next time through, we’ll check out the 2 places that @CAPacelli recommended. Interestingly, Record Safari had a pop up tent at the Just Like Heaven festival but I didn’t really have time to check it out.

Totally surprised that they had Siamese Dream because I thought it was out of print. And same with Seasons In The Abyss. The Beastie Boys completes the collection and I couldn’t remember if my copy of the mighty lemon drops album was a promo or not so I bought it anyway. The rest belong to me lady.

View attachment 140088

Yes the owner of Record Safari does pop up stores at Goldenvoice festivals, starting with Coachella. How was Just Like Heaven?

Yes the owner of Record Safari does pop up stores at Goldenvoice festivals, starting with Coachella. How was Just Like Heaven?

Well the weather was absolutely perfect. There were sound issues on both stages and there was some sonic bleed between the two stages, but overall I really enjoyed where it took place! Lots of grass to sit on. The performances were fun! It was easy to get in and parking was a breeze. The schedule was tight and for the most part on time. It was hard to decide when to get food or drink as to not miss a band that you were there for. Of course drink and food are overpriced but that’s a festival.
As long as the lineups stay fun, I’d consider going next year and in the future. I really enjoy 1 day fests!

View attachment 140088
Really nice pickups. The Pipettes in particular is an awesome blast from the past!

Back