Fresh Grabs

Gillian Welch and David Rawlings - All The Good Times Are Past and Gone

Can't remember the last time I was so excited by a new release. The first time a new album by Gillian and Dave is out on vinyl at release. And it's the customary sensational sounding vinyl from them. This whets the appetite even more for the upcoming boxset. One of my favourite ever artists.

20201031_123108.jpg

20201031_123118.jpg

Some freshies this week:

EAC370B3-4283-4DB8-8043-3E4098FAA286.jpeg
A couple I've really been looking forward to. Matana Roberts with Pat Thomas and Horace Tapscott & Michael Sessions record in Avignon, 1989.

EC31E895-8CBD-42C9-AEA1-C9864311C6A0.jpeg
Also recorded in France, the bottom one here is Lionel Martin's SOLOS which is some very cool French jazz, @Skalap take a listen, you'll dig this. And Lou and John from RSD. I bought this on release, CD though, and loved it then, still love it now, so happy it got reissued.

65A81C9F-44E3-415C-B4CD-D23E10AE6DE2.jpeg
Spirit Fingers I liked on release but never got around to picking it up so righting that wrong now. And the Miles BB session extras from RSD. Looking forward to trying this one.

531E371C-E048-4DFF-A74C-AC10BFFF302D.jpeg
J&K aren't typically my preferred style of jazz but I had a quick sample of this and I liked what I heard so figured I'd give it a try. And Paradise Cinema is an excellent new release from Jack Wyllie of Portico and Szun Waves.

Some freshies this week:

View attachment 72811
A couple I've really been looking forward to. Matana Roberts with Pat Thomas and Horace Tapscott & Michael Sessions record in Avignon, 1989.

View attachment 72812
Also recorded in France, the bottom one here is Lionel Martin's SOLOS which is some very cool French jazz, @Skalap take a listen, you'll dig this. And Lou and John from RSD. I bought this on release, CD though, and loved it then, still love it now, so happy it got reissued.

View attachment 72813
Spirit Fingers I liked on release but never got around to picking it up so righting that wrong now. And the Miles BB session extras from RSD. Looking forward to trying this one.

View attachment 72814
J&K aren't typically my preferred style of jazz but I had a quick sample of this and I liked what I heard so figured I'd give it a try. And Paradise Cinema is an excellent new release from Jack Wyllie of Portico and Szun Waves.

Thanks for the tag! I'll give it a try! By the way, I received JazzMessenger newsletter this morning and there is a focus on Free-Jazz. They re-stocked on No Business titles. I don't know if it makes senses ordering from them instead of the label but they offer free shipping for orders above 30€.

Gillian Welch and David Rawlings - All The Good Times Are Past and Gone

Can't remember the last time I was so excited by a new release. The first time a new album by Gillian and Dave is out on vinyl at release. And it's the customary sensational sounding vinyl from them. This whets the appetite even more for the upcoming boxset. One of my favourite ever artists.

View attachment 72809

View attachment 72810

I'll have to check this out as I'm also waiting on the box set. Enjoy!

EDIT: Bummer! Looks like I missed the boat on this on vinyl. :(

Last edited:
Big haul this week and still have to have my 2 RSD pick-ups sent out from my local (they dispatched 4000 packages this week and are still behind, so I will let them off! haha!).

Tubby Hayes Quartet - Tubby's Groove (Tempo Records, 1960 First Mono Pressing)
Tubby Hayes And His Orchestra, New Jazz Group & Vic Ash Quartet - Modern Jazz Scene, 1956 (Tempo Records, 1956 First Mono Pressing)
The Stan Tracey Quartet ‎– Jazz Suite: Inspired By Dylan Thomas's Under Milk Wood (Columbia, 1956 First Mono Pressing)
Joe Harriott - Joe Harriott With Strings (Jazz Today, 1955 First 7" Pressing)

A super stack of rarities here, it's certainly been a British Jazz Invasion this week. I have been after the Tubby Hayes for a while, and the 'Modern Jazz Scene' was an unexpected facebook find (which cost me a tenner!!!), as was the Stan Tracey. The Joe Harriott is the rarest of the set which just doesn't seem to pop up for sale that often!

IMG_4461.JPG

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Just Coolin' (Blue Note, 2020 VMP Limited Exclusive Pressing)
The Dave Brubeck Quartet ‎– Brubeck's Best (Philips, 1956 First UK Pressing)

Glad to see the Art Blakey finally arrive, and what a killer colour! Going to spin it tonight, this combined with the recent Monk release has made for a superb month.

IMG_4462.JPG

Deagostini bundle:
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else (Blue Note, 2016 Deagostini Pressing)
Ella Fitzgerald And Louis Armstrong - Ella And Louis (Verve, 2016 Deagostini Pressing)
Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch! (Blue Note, 2016 Deagostini Pressing)
Duke Ellington, Charlie Mingus & Max Roach - Money Jungle (United Artists Jazz, 2016 Deagostini Pressing)
Stan Getz & João Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto (Verve, 2016 Deagostini Pressing)
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um (Columbia, 2016 Deagostini Pressing)
Dexter Gordon - Go! (Blue Note, 2016 Deagostini Pressing)
Sonny Rollins - Alfie (Impulse!, 2016 Deagostini Pressing)
Hank Mobley - Soul Station (Blue Note, 2016 Deagostini Pressing)
Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin' (Blue Note, 2017 Deagostini Pressing)

Really happy with this bundle. I do have a few of these already but I have been meaning to upgrade for a while and I actually think these will be better. I already have a couple from last year and really like them, so im thinking these will sound just as good.

IMG_4463.JPG

Cassette Tape Haul.
A few weeks ago I bought around 120 cassette tapes from a carboot sale, which all turned out to have been recorded by a jazz fanatic, with lots being live recordings of famous jazz musicians at places like Ronnie Scotts. Most, if not all, of these are likely to be the only recordings of these sessions. After chatting to the seller we came to a deal and he delivered the rest the other day. There are hundreds of them which I have cleaned, sorted into piles, and began to listen to. Some of the more interesting ones that I have hones in on includes:
Freddie Hubbard Live At Ronnie Scotts.
Barbara Thompson with Oscar Peterson Live At Ronnie Scotts.
David Murray Live at Bath, 1988
Wynton Marsalis Live in London
Sonny Rollins Live In London
Tubby Hayes Live In London
Joe Harriott Tribute with Live Recordings from Harriott
Philly Joe Jones Live
Etc
IMG_4386 (1).JPG

Big haul this week and still have to have my 2 RSD pick-ups sent out from my local (they dispatched 4000 packages this week and are still behind, so I will let them off! haha!).

Tubby Hayes Quartet - Tubby's Groove (Tempo Records, 1960 First Mono Pressing)
Tubby Hayes And His Orchestra, New Jazz Group & Vic Ash Quartet - Modern Jazz Scene, 1956 (Tempo Records, 1956 First Mono Pressing)
The Stan Tracey Quartet ‎– Jazz Suite: Inspired By Dylan Thomas's Under Milk Wood (Columbia, 1956 First Mono Pressing)
Joe Harriott - Joe Harriott With Strings (Jazz Today, 1955 First 7" Pressing)

A super stack of rarities here, it's certainly been a British Jazz Invasion this week. I have been after the Tubby Hayes for a while, and the 'Modern Jazz Scene' was an unexpected facebook find (which cost me a tenner!!!), as was the Stan Tracey. The Joe Harriott is the rarest of the set which just doesn't seem to pop up for sale that often!

View attachment 72849

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Just Coolin' (Blue Note, 2020 VMP Limited Exclusive Pressing)
The Dave Brubeck Quartet ‎– Brubeck's Best (Philips, 1956 First UK Pressing)

Glad to see the Art Blakey finally arrive, and what a killer colour! Going to spin it tonight, this combined with the recent Monk release has made for a superb month.

View attachment 72855

Deagostini bundle:
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else (Blue Note, 2016 Deagostini Pressing)
Ella Fitzgerald And Louis Armstrong - Ella And Louis (Verve, 2016 Deagostini Pressing)
Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch! (Blue Note, 2016 Deagostini Pressing)
Duke Ellington, Charlie Mingus & Max Roach - Money Jungle (United Artists Jazz, 2016 Deagostini Pressing)
Stan Getz & João Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto (Verve, 2016 Deagostini Pressing)
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um (Columbia, 2016 Deagostini Pressing)
Dexter Gordon - Go! (Blue Note, 2016 Deagostini Pressing)
Sonny Rollins - Alfie (Impulse!, 2016 Deagostini Pressing)
Hank Mobley - Soul Station (Blue Note, 2016 Deagostini Pressing)
Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin' (Blue Note, 2017 Deagostini Pressing)

Really happy with this bundle. I do have a few of these already but I have been meaning to upgrade for a while and I actually think these will be better. I already have a couple from last year and really like them, so im thinking these will sound just as good.

View attachment 72857

Cassette Tape Haul.
A few weeks ago I bought around 120 cassette tapes from a carboot sale, which all turned out to have been recorded by a jazz fanatic, with lots being live recordings of famous jazz musicians at places like Ronnie Scotts. Most, if not all, of these are likely to be the only recordings of these sessions. After chatting to the seller we came to a deal and he delivered the rest the other day. There are hundreds of them which I have cleaned, sorted into piles, and began to listen to. Some of the more interesting ones that I have hones in on includes:
Freddie Hubbard Live At Ronnie Scotts.
Barbara Thompson with Oscar Peterson Live At Ronnie Scotts.
David Murray Live at Bath, 1988
Wynton Marsalis Live in London
Sonny Rollins Live In London
Tubby Hayes Live In London
Joe Harriott Tribute with Live Recordings from Harriott
Philly Joe Jones Live
Etc
View attachment 72859

That Stan Tracey album is great. We were lucky enough to see Stan live when he was supporting Wayne Shorter at the Barbican about 15 years ago. He was excellent even then, I can only imagine what he was like in his heyday.

That Stan Tracey album is great. We were lucky enough to see Stan live when he was supporting Wayne Shorter at the Barbican about 15 years ago. He was excellent even then, I can only imagine what he was like in his heyday.
Oh wow, what a dream, very jealous of that and with Shorter as well!!! I would have loved to see him in his prime too. I listened to a doc recently where he said that after working at Ronnie Scotts for so long (7 years) he was so physically exhausted that he would struggle to even climb stairs. Took him 3 years to get over it he was that worn down!! I dug out a cassette from the pile which is mysteriously titled 'Stan Tracey' so I'm hoping that's a live one.

Oh wow, what a dream, very jealous of that and with Shorter as well!!! I would have loved to see him in his prime too.

2005-7 was a good couple of years for Mrs Moore and me. We saw Stan and Wayne, Sonny Rollins, E.S.T. supported by Polar Bear who were the break out UK jazzers of the period, Oscar Peterson at the Albert Hall, even Woody Allen's dixieland band too. Then kids came along so our nights out haven't been quite as prolific since then but we still try and see the greats as they pass through town.

D1D2164F-74EB-43E2-924E-2FEAE7A2ED15.jpeg

Very thankful for those who posted a whole bunch of record store links on RSD. I didn’t get any RSD titles, but I used it as an opportunity to search for this record, which I thought would be a lost cause. Ended up finding it in Provo for retail price. Love just about everything Matthew Sweet puts out, but I would argue that some of his greatest melodies are on this one.

Crazy good mail day. Got the rest of my RSD order from Plaidroom. More on that maybe once I get it open. And, these two.

5D4EB625-03E1-4F57-937C-90B4F6818CD3.jpeg
Early Test Press release of Here Lies Man - Ritual Divination from Riding Easy Recs. And...
C1A2012C-7B57-4C69-A3B7-39A4FF4F3BC0.jpeg
Mark De Clive-Lowe - DreamWeavers. Mark responded in the “preorder forum” to a post about EU shipping cost to US of the limited colored version of DreamWeavers with a link and password to his patron page. Link was for a few copies of a vary fairly priced bundle including autographed versions of both the new LP and a 45 (Masina / Mizugaki) shipped US media mail from LA. Nice 👍.

Last edited:
F747590C-7594-4599-9744-47F863A49F74.jpeg
Lastly, Plaidroom came thru with another packed-to-arrive-in-mint-condition box. The Zappa doesn’t seem to be selling as well as expected has it was a large pressing #. Promises good sound. Pressed at Pallas and Mastered by BG. Hope to spin it Sunday.

How do I know that, ultimately, this flaming hellscape of a world is going to be OK?

Cause there are people like @Crabbers still in it.

I posted on the RSD thread, late on the day of, that I could use some help if anyone ran across the Neal Casal release. This was a very limited pressing and there were pretty much none to be found, even by those early risers hitting the stores. I forgot about it and then, a few days later, here comes a DM from @Crabbers that he found me one and it was being shipped directly to my house.

As long as this kind of thoughtfulness and kindness exists - and there's so much of it here from so many people - everything is gonna be alright.

Thanks @Crabbers You are a Golden God.

Neal Casal - Fade Away Diamond Time

20201101_010121.jpg

Last edited:
Found these hanging out in the back of a vintage clothing store today and had to take a chance on all of them. Very reasonably priced Japanese pressings and the Red Garland sounds phenomenal so far. This was my first time ever finding anything good in a thrift store. They even had an original Blossom Dearie in great shape for $200. 6409354A-D4BE-408A-B775-0C940E3E77DB.jpeg

Back