Fresh Grabs

Oh my goodness this is so impressive Selaws! 👏👏👏 Next time I come to London, I’m going to see you and I’m taking you out for like 3 dinners because I want to listen to a lot of these and talk with you! So freaking impressed and I can’t imagine the passion you have! Would be so interesting and inspiring! ☺
Seen twice because it was late and I got it confused with one I'll leave for a later post but we have Bitches Brew by Miles Davis. I've not listened to much Jazz, and what I have heard I've often not known who it's by. So in going on this vinyl journey I've wanted to branch out my knowledge and experience within Jazz, Soul and the Blues. I have to thank @Selaws for both his passion and knowledge in Jazz topics and posts. Like a barnacle to a whale I am attached and always appreciative of them. I came across this when buying a couple of others at Rough Trade. The variant itself is nothing like described or shown – red/blue splatter – but I knew that from Discogs going in and really happy with what arrived. Reminds me, somewhat randomly, of bits from a red blanket on blue jeans. I quite like it!

Ah guys tour making me blush. Thanks to both of you for the kind words. My girlfriend always says I have an addicted personality, which is almost certainly true, and it means I tend to want to know everything I can about an artist or album when I like what I hear. Jazz has, and continues, to fascinate me and the more I learn the more I want to share!

And Nathan, of course, we can go for dinner the next time your in London!

We're going old school with a lot of today's records.

Charlie Parker ‎– Charlie Parker (Warner Bros. Records, 1977 Limited Box Set - No. 3511/4000)
I have had my eye on this box set for a while but when they do pop up they tend to be in poor shape or pretty pricey. Its a 6lp hand-numbered set with a 20-page booklet, completely covering Charlie Parkers Dial Records sessions. In the past there have been several 'complete dial sessions' but supposedly this box is one of the few to actually include all of the recordings (all 89 of them). In fact, these records have British Spotlite label (who has in the past released a non-complete 'Dial Sessions' album) masters etched and subsequently crossed out in the dead wax, as they decided to cut back costs and only release part of it the first time. These were then picked up by Warner Bros. and re-stamped and released. Parker's Dial & Savoy recording are considered his best work, and these Dial sessions were recorded during his say in California. However, also included on in this set is the infamous recordings where Parker drank a quart of whiskey beforehand and had to be physically propped up during the session, and at one point Howard McGhee can be heard telling Parker to 'blow' his saxophone when he stops playing.
IMG_7080.JPG

The Third Wave ‎– Here And Now (Crippled Dick Hot Wax!, 1999 Limited Pressing)
Grant Green, Kenny Burrell, Billy Taylor, Attila Zoller ‎– I Giganti Del Jazz Vol. 55 (Curcio, 1981 Pressing)
Thelonious Monk: The Life and Times of an American Original by Robin Kelley

The third wave was a discovery I made years ago and they are just fantastic. They were a group of Filipino sisters who travelled to Germany in 1970 (sponsored by George Duke) and recorded just 1 album and a 7" before disappearing from the music scene forever. The music is funky, catchy, and jazzy (youtube to their 'Love Train' track). This limited album reissue was released in 1990 and includes a detailed set of liner notes. In the photo, I have also included my original copy of their album and 7" (which was the most expensive record I owned for quite a while). Over the past few weeks I have been posting each record in the Curcio Green & Blue box sets on my Instagram, and someone commented with a snippet of a Grant Green live performance found in this record here. It blew my mind (I've never heard Grant play in this way before) and seeing as these are so cheap to find (this cost £3 posted) I had to snap this one up! Finally, we have a massive brick of a book (in fact its bigger than a brick!) documenting the life of Thelonious Monk.
IMG_7081.JPG

Duke Ellington - 1940 Highlights (His Master's Voice, 1954 10" Test Pressing)
Finally a real rarity. These 2 10" records are test pressings of a 1954 release focusing on Duke Ellington's biggest hits on 1940. The fascinating bit here is all of the handwritten and stamped notes on both sides of the jackets and labels. These were tested for quality control (which passed) on the 4th March 1954. I saw these online and after chatting to the seller they dropped the price drastically so I got a great deal on them. A very cool oddity!
IMG_7082.JPG

Ah guys tour making me blush. Thanks to both of you for the kind words. My girlfriend always says I have an addicted personality, which is almost certainly true, and it means I tend to want to know everything I can about an artist or album when I like what I hear. Jazz has, and continues, to fascinate me and the more I learn the more I want to share!

And Nathan, of course, we can go for dinner the next time your in London!

Oh dear what you've said 😂😂😂

Hey @Selaws, have you ever posted something in the “let’s see your collection thread”? Jazz isn’t my thing, but I enjoy seeing your collection expand, and enjoy the stories behind it.
Ah man, thanks for saying that. I don't think I have to be honest. I don't actually have a dedicated listening room or anything like that. We live in an open plan flat (decent sized for London but not for the rest of the county :ROFLMAO:) so I've made do with the space I can get. I essentially used a series of Kallaxes to create an L shape with a tv and my turntable on the lower bits. I'm planning on getting another unit once the lockdown ends to make the U into an elongated U, so once that's sorted I will take a photo of it all and post.

A while ago (304 days to be exact) I started an Instagram account to log each one of my records, one per day. I found I was in a rut of playing the same few records over and over while having stacks of others. So this way I started properly listening to my whole collection and reading up on each record as well. Its been really fun and I imagine I will continue it after the year I originally set as a target.

New fresh grab arrived from a Discogs seller in Germany!

got a great deal on this one €23.50 inc delivery, and this 2000 press is meant to be one of the good ones!

View attachment 47920
I have this same pressing, although I think I’ve only played it once before I had Lou sign it. I think it sounds pretty good from what I remember, but it’s been about 15 years

It seems like every 6 months or so I try and "get" Bjork, it just hasn't clicked for me yet.

that’s fine. Not everything clicks for everyone, I’m a big believer in doing what you like, not trying to force what isn’t natural and avoiding being too critical unless you’re specifically prodded for an opinion, we’re fans, not professional critics, after all.

I love her early career, I think it’s magic. I’m not as familiar with this later career stuff but I can’t wait to delve into it!

Last edited:
Back