Fresh Grabs

A gorgeous boxset from German Jazz/Ambient band, Dictaphone. 3LPs + 1EP in a heavy boxset, discs packaged outside of sleeves, download card included.

“A gorgeous boxset from German Jazz/Ambient band, Dictaphone. 3LPs + 1EP in a heavy boxset, discs packaged outside of sleeves, download card included.”

I streamed some of this after u posted. Nice. Box set is apparently limited to 250 and very near gone. I think I found a US seller that seems to specialize in electronic/ambient that saves me the international shipping worries. He had new one left. Got a great response back from him on my query. He promised some tasty extras. :). Thanks for posting it. I’ll follow up good or bad when I get it.

Some ambient pickups over the past few weeks, with a personal grail among them:

Grouper - Ruins
Laurie Spiegel - The Expanding Universe
Masahiro Sugaya - Horizon, Vol. 1
Sam Mallet - Wetlands
Slow Attack Ensemble - Delay Music
2814 - 新しい日の誕生 (Birth of a New Day)

Elizabeth Harris and Julia Holter are the two women in music that I can find comfort on any day, particularly at night. Ruins is my second favorite of Liz's behind A I A: Alien Observer. While I am not too keen on vocals in ambient, Liz's vocals blend in so sublimely with the minimal, lo-fi production that they feel appropriate. Happy to have found this at Mississippi Records for $15.
The Expanding Universe is amazingly ahead of its time. This was reissued on 3xLP this year, and a bunch of Laurie's other output across her discography was put on LPs 2 & 3. The self-titled track is a space odyssey lasting around 28.5 minutes that I never want to end.
The Japanese ambient reissues put out by Empire of Signs have been straight 🔥 and sound wonderful. Now I just Inoyama Land's Commissions: 1977-2000 to complete the set!
Musique Plastique released the sixth record on their label last month, and I enjoyed it. Have to thank the shop owners and Seance Centre for turning me on to these more esoteric, obscure ambient releases. My ears are happier for it.
An impulse purchase through Plastique, the shop co-owner was playing Delay Music during the time I was ready to check out. Ended up buying this from him on impulse. Perhaps a good decision...as this is apparently limited to 100, and is unavailable elsewhere.
Now, for the grail! My 2019 reissue copy of 2814's 新しい日の誕生 finally arrived at my doorstep more than four months after initially ordering from Dream Catalogue. Spent the most I've ever spent on a record, but I am happy to finally have a vinyl copy. While I somewhat despise the term "vaporwave," I view this record as ambient with a futuristic edge, akin to being a backdrop in Blade Runner setting. It doesn't sound anything like other "vaporwave" records that I have listened to, so I'm not sure why it gets lumped in. Regardless, this album is a mainstay for my ambient library. The purple color variant matches the album art appropriately, a nice touch.

20191126_193316.jpg

Some ambient pickups over the past few weeks, with a personal grail among them:

Grouper - Ruins
Laurie Spiegel - The Expanding Universe
Masahiro Sugaya - Horizon, Vol. 1
Sam Mallet - Wetlands
Slow Attack Ensemble - Delay Music
2814 - 新しい日の誕生 (Birth of a New Day)

Elizabeth Harris and Julia Holter are the two women in music that I can find comfort on any day, particularly at night. Ruins is my second favorite of Liz's behind A I A: Alien Observer. While I am not too keen on vocals in ambient, Liz's vocals blend in so sublimely with the minimal, lo-fi production that they feel appropriate. Happy to have found this at Mississippi Records for $15.
The Expanding Universe is amazingly ahead of its time. This was reissued on 3xLP this year, and a bunch of Laurie's other output across her discography was put on LPs 2 & 3. The self-titled track is a space odyssey lasting around 28.5 minutes that I never want to end.
The Japanese ambient reissues put out by Empire of Signs have been straight 🔥 and sound wonderful. Now I just Inoyama Land's Commissions: 1977-2000 to complete the set!
Musique Plastique released the sixth record on their label last month, and I enjoyed it. Have to thank the shop owners and Seance Centre for turning me on to these more esoteric, obscure ambient releases. My ears are happier for it.
An impulse purchase through Plastique, the shop co-owner was playing Delay Music during the time I was ready to check out. Ended up buying this from him on impulse. Perhaps a good decision...as this is apparently limited to 100, and is unavailable elsewhere.
Now, for the grail! My 2019 reissue copy of 2814's 新しい日の誕生 finally arrived at my doorstep more than four months after initially ordering from Dream Catalogue. Spent the most I've ever spent on a record, but I am happy to finally have a vinyl copy. While I somewhat despise the term "vaporwave," I view this record as ambient with a futuristic edge, akin to being a backdrop in Blade Runner setting. It doesn't sound anything like other "vaporwave" records that I have listened to, so I'm not sure why it gets lumped in. Regardless, this album is a mainstay for my ambient library. The purple color variant matches the album art appropriately, a nice touch.

View attachment 24060

I bought Ruins a few years ago only because it got recorded in one of the most beautiful areas in Portugal near the most beautiful beach I have ever seen and been (I plan to retire there if I get old). It's also a great record.

1574886589348.png

Mixed feelings about this mini-haul. I was looking forward to the Ornette Coleman box set but when I opened it up the inner sleeves were covered in water stains or mould and the Volume 1 LP has the WORST dish warp I have ever seen, the photo below really doesnt do it justice....its bloody awful.

Ornette Coleman ‎– An Evening With Ornette Coleman (Polydor, 1967 first UK pressing)
The box is in top condition and includes the 12x12 booklet as well. Shame about one of the LP's being super warped.

The Curtis Counce Quintet ‎– Exploring The Future (Dootone Records, 1970 2nd pressing.)
The first pressing of this is super super rare, never pops up on discogs etc. This reissue is the first one after its 1958 pressing. A great group, with Harold Land on tenor sax.

View attachment 23974
View attachment 23975
View attachment 23976

If you want, i can try and straighten it out for you with my Vinyl Flat?

If you want, i can try and straighten it out for you with my Vinyl Flat?
Thanks so much for the offer, but honestly its not worth it financially, the shipping alone would probably cost more than a replacement copy. I talked to the seller and he was really cool about it and refunded me half. So I ended up paying £12 total. I can still play side B as I have a record weight which surprisingly makes it as if the issue isn't even there. So its just 1 side of 1 disk, which I can live with. Cheers again though, very nice of you to offer!

Back