Fresh Grabs

Been a busy week so I haven't had chance to post these as they've trickled in.

First up, a couple of new releases. Juno came through with a restock on KVL saving me a bunch on international shipping. Thanks to @Poly-Rythmo for the heads-up on that one. And the Levitation Orchestra, I listened to samples a few weeks back and wasn't sure how the choral voices sat with me. When @Selaws posted about it a couple of days ago I took a second listen and voices aside, the music is fire. SotU had a stack in store yesterday for anyone struggling to source it.

View attachment 23369

Next, a trilogy of Doug Hammond reissues care of Manufactured Recordings. Some long overdue free jazz reissues, thanks to Honest Jon's for having them in stock seemingly weeks before anybody else.

View attachment 23365

A gorgeous boxset from German Jazz/Ambient band, Dictaphone. 3LPs + 1EP in a heavy boxset, discs packaged outside of sleeves, download card included. All shipped direct from label Denovali in Germany for €73 as part of their 25% off sale. VMP should take note on this price!
I owe a massive thank you to somebody for this. Back in the old place, someone popped into the jazz thread and mentioned these and I liked what I sampled. They have since gone on to be in frequent rotation on my Spotify. Very calming commute music and equally wonderful night-time listening. I cannot for the life of me remember who originally got me onto them though so if you're over in this place too, raise your hand, the first pint's on me if you're ever in London.

View attachment 23370

Onto the used stuff. First a trilogy of Blueys. The Byrd is a Japanese Toshiba, just missing the obi. The McCoy and Lee are both 1972 firsts, VAN GELDER stamped. Patience has been a virtue with Expressions. I love the album and a good quality release has avoided me for the longest time, this popped up for £25 shipped, I bit their hand off.

View attachment 23368

A trio of free jazz from Charlie Haden (an early Quad Impulse release), Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre Quartet on Black Saint and Bobby Few on Black Lion.

View attachment 23367

And finally, stacks of sexy sax. Ornette joined by Don Cherry, Charlie Haden, Dewey Redman and the main man's boy, Ornette D. Coleman on drums, live on this first Impulse release. An early Delmark Braxton to replace a pretty ropey sounding reissue I have and this Pharoah on Theresa. @D Jilla is to thank for this one. You introduced me a while back to Pharoah's take on Coltrane's Olé from this album. You were right, it is amazing. When this popped up, it was a no-brainer, cheers, buddy.

View attachment 23366
Just spinning my KVL for the first time now and while the music is great the pressing is v noisy. I've got constant crackle on it. How about you? Supposedly it's pressed at Gold Rush Vinyl, which I've not come across before. Great grabs otherwise...

And finally, stacks of sexy sax. Ornette joined by Don Cherry, Charlie Haden, Dewey Redman and the main man's boy, Ornette D. Coleman on drums, live on this first Impulse release. An early Delmark Braxton to replace a pretty ropey sounding reissue I have and this Pharoah on Theresa. @D Jilla is to thank for this one. You introduced me a while back to Pharoah's take on Coltrane's Olé from this album. You were right, it is amazing. When this popped up, it was a no-brainer, cheers, buddy.

View attachment 23366

Yes! Glad to see you found a copy. Amazing stuff!

Just spinning my KVL for the first time now and while the music is great the pressing is v noisy. I've got constant crackle on it. How about you? Supposedly it's pressed at Gold Rush Vinyl, which I've not come across before. Great grabs otherwise...

Oh dear, that's a shame. I haven't got around to spinning yet, I'm still working my way through last month's stuff.

I know I've had Dictaphone on some of my streaming playlist for some time, maybe I should follow @Mr Moore 's path and order the whole collection.

Still got 25% off of what was already dirt cheap compared to local prices. You know it makes sense.

Glad you finally got a copy Of Extensions. What a great album.
Been a busy week so I haven't had chance to post these as they've trickled in.

First up, a couple of new releases. Juno came through with a restock on KVL saving me a bunch on international shipping. Thanks to @Poly-Rythmo for the heads-up on that one. And the Levitation Orchestra, I listened to samples a few weeks back and wasn't sure how the choral voices sat with me. When @Selaws posted about it a couple of days ago I took a second listen and voices aside, the music is fire. SotU had a stack in store yesterday for anyone struggling to source it.

View attachment 23369

Next, a trilogy of Doug Hammond reissues care of Manufactured Recordings. Some long overdue free jazz reissues, thanks to Honest Jon's for having them in stock seemingly weeks before anybody else.

View attachment 23365

A gorgeous boxset from German Jazz/Ambient band, Dictaphone. 3LPs + 1EP in a heavy boxset, discs packaged outside of sleeves, download card included. All shipped direct from label Denovali in Germany for €73 as part of their 25% off sale. VMP should take note on this price!
I owe a massive thank you to somebody for this. Back in the old place, someone popped into the jazz thread and mentioned these and I liked what I sampled. They have since gone on to be in frequent rotation on my Spotify. Very calming commute music and equally wonderful night-time listening. I cannot for the life of me remember who originally got me onto them though so if you're over in this place too, raise your hand, the first pint's on me if you're ever in London.

View attachment 23370

Onto the used stuff. First a trilogy of Blueys. The Byrd is a Japanese Toshiba, just missing the obi. The McCoy and Lee are both 1972 firsts, VAN GELDER stamped. Patience has been a virtue with Expressions. I love the album and a good quality release has avoided me for the longest time, this popped up for £25 shipped, I bit their hand off.

View attachment 23368

A trio of free jazz from Charlie Haden (an early Quad Impulse release), Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre Quartet on Black Saint and Bobby Few on Black Lion.

View attachment 23367

View attachment 23366

ruiTiVL.jpg

I’m hooked

Back