Fresh Grabs

Bought "Any Minute Now" by Soulwax from Oxfam (a charity/thrift store in the UK) and this is how they sent it. To the US.

View attachment 22199

So of course the sleeve is bent to shit:

View attachment 22200View attachment 22201View attachment 22202
Thats awful. Knowing Oxfam I bet that wasn't cheap either. On a side note, if anyone is looking to give a bit of cash to charity look at the British Heart Foundation. The prices are not cheap but they package their records in thick mailers/boxes and provide email updates at each stage.

Ambient pickups:

Carlos Maria Trindade / Nuno Canavarro - Mr. Wollogallu
Ernest Hood - Neighborhoods
Sunn O))) - Pyroclasts
Tim Hecker - Virgins

Mr. Wollogallu
is a two-part album made by two Portuguese musicians. The music of CMT lies on side A, sounding very opulent and classy with plenty of acoustic guitar segments and strings laced in the tracks. Side B contains Canavarro's work, which sounds more tribal and organic with flute and vibraphone, piano, and even flugelhorn! Another fantastic recommendation from Musique Plastique (can't say enough about that store) that provides international variety to my library.
I was glad to see Ernest Hood's moog synth masterpiece get reissued, as Hood himself is from Portland! The recordings were all done in Sellwood, Oregon during a time of youth (children's voices are a recurring theme and sound here), and feels very organic, like stepping outside and enjoying a pleasant day. If you at all like Mort Garson's Plantasia, definitely give this a shot. Sounds incredible, too.
Recently picked up Sunn O)))'s Life Metal, so I figured I'd get their other release from this year as well. Pyroclasts is much shorter than Life Metal, and the energy harnessed within feels much more brooding and reserved than its brother.
Saw Virgins in the electronic section while shopping during the 20% off all vinyl sale at Music Millennium in Portland, and had to nab it. Seminal ambient classic, most would say. I can see why; like walking through a museum of art.

20191112_022837.jpg

Other grabs:

clipping. - CLPPNG
clipping. - There Existed an Addiction to Blood
Lingua Ignota - All Bitches Die
Lizzo - Cuz I Love You

Expanding my experimental hip-hop collection with the clipping. records. It was extra nice to see a copy of the blood-splatter vinyl for There Existed an Addiction to Blood at 2nd Avenue Records in Portland on the shelves, when I thought they were long gone everywhere.
It is great to have both major works of Kristin Hayter (A.K.A. Lingua Ignota) on wax before seeing her and Daughters next month. Unrelenting and unforgiving, her music is powerful and demands the listener be isolated from other distractions.
Lizzo ended up being a guilty pleasure grab. Her music is simply fun and empowering.

20191112_022417.jpg

Last edited:
Ambient pickups:

Carlos Maria Trindade / Nuno Canavarro - Mr. Wollogallu
Ernest Hood - Neighborhoods
Sunn O))) - Pyroclasts
Tim Hecker - Virgins

Mr. Wollogallu
is a two-part album made by two Portuguese musicians. The music of CMT lies on side A, sounding very opulent and classy with plenty of acoustic guitar segments and strings laced in the tracks. Side B contains Canavarro's work, which sounds more tribal and organic with flute and vibraphone, piano, and even flugelhorn! Another fantastic recommendation from Musique Plastique (can't say enough about that store) that provides international variety to my library.
I was glad to see Ernest Hood's moog synth masterpiece get reissued, as Hood himself is from Portland! The recordings were all done in Sellwood, Oregon during a time of youth (children's voices are a recurring theme and sound here), and feels very organic, like stepping outside and enjoying a pleasant day. If you at all like Mort Garson's Plantasia, definitely give this a shot. Sounds incredible, too.
Recently picked up Sunn O)))'s Life Metal, so I figured I'd get their other release from this year as well. Pyroclasts is much more shorter than their Life Metal, and the energy harnessed within feels much more brooding and reserved than its brother.
Saw Virgins in the electronic section while shopping during the 20% off all vinyl sale at Music Millennium in Portland, and had to nab it. Seminal ambient classic, most would say. I can see why; like walking through a museum of art.

View attachment 22230

Other grabs:

clipping. - CLPPNG
clipping. - There Existed an Addiction to Blood
Lingua Ignota - All Bitches Die
Lizzo - Cuz I Love You

Expanding my experimental hip-hop collection with the clipping. records. It was extra nice to see a copy of the blood-splatter vinyl for There Existed an Addiction to Blood at 2nd Avenue Records in Portland on the shelves, when I thought they were long gone everywhere.
It is great to have both major works of Kristin Hayter (A.K.A. Lingua Ignota) on wax before seeing her and Daughters next month. Unrelenting and unforgiving, her music is powerful and demands the listener be isolated from other distractions.
Lizzo ended up being a guilty pleasure grab. Her music is simply fun and empowering.

View attachment 22231

Never thought I would see Carlos Maria Trindade / Nuno Canavarro - Mr. Wollogallu on this forum :) Great grab!

It's great. Wide variety of sounds here. A fine example of a record where I get two different atmospheres on each side!

It was a Portuguese music grail before it got repressed by Urpa i Musell. Another Nuno Canavarro record got repressed a few years ago by Drag City, album's name is Plux Quba. It's not for everyone but if you are into experimental and abstract music, it's worth a listen.

EDIT; since you named them, it's available through Musique Plastique on Discogs

It was a Portuguese music grail before it got repressed by Urpa i Musell. Another Nuno Canavarro record got repressed a few years ago by Drag City, album's name is Plux Quba. It's not for everyone but if you are into experimental and abstract music, it's worth a listen.

EDIT; since you named them, it's available through Musique Plastique on Discogs

Thank you for the other Canavarro album @Skalap, I'll give it a try! :)
I'll get it in store if it clicks, as I see it's a little pricey. Good folks that run the shop!

Mixing it up.

Lee Morgan - The Procrastinator (Blue Note, 1978 first pressing)
A fantastic 'twofer' of two unreleased sessions. These are superb sets and are usually cheaper than the artist's other Blue Note releases.

Matthew Halsall - On The Go (Gondwana Records, 2016 first pressing)
Thanks to @Dtknuckles and @Mr Moore for the recommendation. I'm slowly streaming each of his albums but this has been a stand out so far, just amazing stuff!

The Hamilton Mixtape (Atlantic, 2019 first pressing)
Saw Hamilton at the weekend and my girlfriend loved it. Picked this up for her really but there's quite a few tasty songs on here, especially from The Roots.

IMG_9777.JPG

Back