Fitness!

@nolalady Read this article the other day. Kind of crazy that a product (plastic) that was supposed to be helpful, durable, affordable, and user-friendly is now contributing to health issues and environmental decline. Don't even get me started on microplastics.

Yes, most of them had little mites on them. It was super gross.

I understand cooking them will kill all that but that's still a no.
Yeah, if you’re easily squinked out, it’s best not to look too closely at anything - bugs, plants, meat, fish or other - that you put in your mouth.

Tangentially related: does anyone do preworkout or get a little caffeine boost before they work out? I work out in the evenings after work and tend to be a little draggy even on my best days, but trying to figure out how to goose my energy levels a little to get more out of my workouts.
Just realized I stopped getting update notifications for this thread, so sorry for the late response. I use pre before my morning workouts, because I don't drink coffee before/I find that it helps, even if it's all in my head/I really fucking hate having to do anything before 9am.

I used to take it before every workout, but eventually realized the caffeine was really messing with my sleep schedule when I did workouts later in the day. I keep meaning to find a second one without caffeine that I can try in the evenings, but haven't come across one that I like yet.

I have no problem with pre as long as I'm making sure to not overuse it, and that I remember it has caffeine. But I think the things I do that are more important are the electrolytes I put in my water and my post-workout protein shake.

Just because I don’t have anyone else to tell except you fine folks, I’m pretty happy with how things are going. Started with a trainer back at the end of July to try and start rebuilding my strength and attempting to add some weight on after spending the last couple years getting professionally poisoned.

I started with a trainer in March(?), and have been really happy with the results. I had made a lot of improvements in my health and fitness during 2020, when I had nothing else to do but ride my Peloton, but I had pretty much gotten as far as I could on my own, and decided I needed a trainer to help me repair my relationship with strength training. I have dropped off on my schedule the past couple of weeks because work has been insane for me (and my trainer recently upped my strength training schedule to 4 days a week, which is just not sustainable with my schedule), but overall I've been really happy with the results...I haven't lost a single pound, but my PBF has gone down 3%, I've gained 8lbs of muscle, and I saw definition in my triceps the other day when I was working out for maybe the first time ever...it's crazy how much something like that can improve one's mood!

Just realized I stopped getting update notifications for this thread, so sorry for the late response. I use pre before my morning workouts, because I don't drink coffee before/I find that it helps, even if it's all in my head/I really fucking hate having to do anything before 9am.

I used to take it before every workout, but eventually realized the caffeine was really messing with my sleep schedule when I did workouts later in the day. I keep meaning to find a second one without caffeine that I can try in the evenings, but haven't come across one that I like yet.

I have no problem with pre as long as I'm making sure to not overuse it, and that I remember it has caffeine. But I think the things I do that are more important are the electrolytes I put in my water and my post-workout protein shake.

I started with a trainer in March(?), and have been really happy with the results. I had made a lot of improvements in my health and fitness during 2020, when I had nothing else to do but ride my Peloton, but I had pretty much gotten as far as I could on my own, and decided I needed a trainer to help me repair my relationship with strength training. I have dropped off on my schedule the past couple of weeks because work has been insane for me (and my trainer recently upped my strength training schedule to 4 days a week, which is just not sustainable with my schedule), but overall I've been really happy with the results...I haven't lost a single pound, but my PBF has gone down 3%, I've gained 8lbs of muscle, and I saw definition in my triceps the other day when I was working out for maybe the first time ever...it's crazy how much something like that can improve one's mood!
That’s awesome progress! I wish I had that much to show for it. My body fat has dropped off, but still chasing the elusive “gainz” the kids all talk about. Part is the drugs, but the other is that I need to figure out how to punch up to 4 days a week plus an all-cardio day. Thinking with lawn season behind me, I’ll get back one night a week that I can slot it in.

But good job outta you, Ollie. I’m impressed.

On NOVA last night, they were talking about edible insects and the potential for them to be a replacement for other proteins in the future.

So, would you do it?

I think I could do insect powder in a smoothie, but I'm not sure if I could eat insects--all those leeegggsss eeeeeewwwwwww...

I eat chapulín salsa frequently! delicious in a chile de arbol oil, drizzled over tacos.

I went to a large scale educational cookoff in Austin a decade ago and had pastries from cricket flour, chips, some savory dishes. everything tasted fine, was packed with protein, and highly sustainable. it's pretty common in other regions.

I would be cool with another one, but y'all need to realize that November has never been a great month for my fitness routine.
My gym is offering free tee shirts and a drawing for $100 in gift certificates for this month, which is apparently what brings all the senior citizens to the yard. Some of these old dudes are jacked by the way.

I’mma win a tee shirt at least.

Will there be a November challenge?

I would be cool with another one, but y'all need to realize that November has never been a great month for my fitness routine.

Sorry, I didn't even realize November started apparently haha I started a new challenge last night. Unfortunately it won't let you have them start in the past so anything from the 1st won't count. I would just create a new entry with your workouts from the 1st on the 2nd so they're included. Sorry about that everyone!

Another great month of staying active everyone! Congrats to @debianlinux for making his way back to the top of the podium (for the 6th time) after a couple month break. Here are the final standings:

1. @debianlinux - 33:55:00 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
2. @LiamGallagher’sBucketHat - 31:58:43 🏆 🏆
3. @bfly - 30:46:00
4. @ByersVinyl - 22:11:28 🏆
5. @Corycm - 18:14:10
6. @mrjoshuamccormack - 16:05:12
7. @Kris - 14:15:47 🏆
8. @nolalady - 12:45:00
9. @RowBearToe - 11:07:32
10. @trickyseven - 3:54:47

Trophies indicate all time wins. @tvham & @panino also each have a 🏆 and need to return to the challenges!haha

Do we want to call December a gimme and resume challenges in January?

Sorry, I've been out of town since Thanksgiving and didn't even realize it was a new month haha I created the December challenge (and January because I'm sure I'll forget again with Christmas/New Year's haha). November results coming right up!

You guys definitely made sure to work off those Turkey calories in November, great job! Congrats to @LiamGallagher’sBucketHat for returning to the top of the leaderboard after having their three-peat broken up by @debianlinux last month! It was crazy close, edging @ByersVinyl out by just 35 seconds!

1. @LiamGallagher’sBucketHat - 30:33:35 🏆🏆🏆
2. @ByersVinyl - 30:33:00 - 🏆
3. @debianlinux - 25:50:00 - 🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
4. @Corycm - 18:35:00
5. @bfly - 15:44:32
6. @nolalady - 13:30:00
7. @trickyseven - 6:19:52
8. @RowBearToe - 5:23:31
9. @Kris - 5:10:27 🏆

oops I forgot the last two weeks but I've been working on keeping up a routine now that my heavy physical workload has faded out

so far, so good. got a bike in working order too! so that'll be good good.

Because I set up the challenge today, it won't let me start it in the past, so be sure to add any workouts from the first 5 days of the month to today to get credit for the time! Sorry for the hassle!

Assumed you were giving us December off 🍰🍗🍖🥩🍳🥓
Ive carried on for now, but xmas parties etc are gonna stop me around 17/12 for sure !
Edit : just joined challenge and I checked last month and the ending was even more ridiculous - I came second by 1 second 😂 - How fitting.

Assumed you were giving us December off 🍰🍗🍖🥩🍳🥓
Ive carried on for now, but xmas parties etc are gonna stop me around 17/12 for sure !
Edit : just joined challenge and I checked last month and the ending was even more ridiculous - I came second by 1 second 😂 - How fitting.

Can't stop, won't stop!haha need the motivation more than ever around the holidays. and really? It was 1 second?! That's crazy! My phone cuts the seconds off when they get too long with no way of scrolling over, but usually it's when it's double 0s so that's what I assumed you had haha

Back