Fitness!

Sugar, specifically chocolate is my biggest weakness. Besides focusing on being in a caloric deficit, I’ve really tried to focus on my sweet tooth. This time of year is usually a smorgasbord, but I’m definitely going to try and be mentally tough. If I do buy chocolate, I’ll get things like the dark chocolate peanut butter cups from Trader Joe’s and only eat the recommended serving size. If I get a craving for ice cream, I get Keto ice cream bars from Costco.
I also picked these up when they were on sale and they’re very satisfying for when I want something sweet.

View attachment 114849
I agree, sugar is my weakness too. Whether a Mocha in the morning taking the kid to school, or all the crap they like to have around the house. I try and stay away, but will just grab a piece on the way by. Working from home with all of this here probably doesn't help :) Luckily, getting my workouts in and not gaining any weight. But really need to keep away from the sugars to drop the weight.

I don't think any of this is super new news though, this was heavily going through the crossfit world a few years back when I was doing that. I know it's my problem. I just need to make sure I limit it at times and all is good.

I agree, sugar is my weakness too. Whether a Mocha in the morning taking the kid to school, or all the crap they like to have around the house. I try and stay away, but will just grab a piece on the way by. Working from home with all of this here probably doesn't help :) Luckily, getting my workouts in and not gaining any weight. But really need to keep away from the sugars to drop the weight.

I don't think any of this is super new news though, this was heavily going through the crossfit world a few years back when I was doing that. I know it's my problem. I just need to make sure I limit it at times and all is good.

I should have named my daughter Pasta Ice Cream Cookies because that’s her jam.
She eats a fairly decent lunch but there’s always something in the house.

Sugar, specifically chocolate is my biggest weakness. Besides focusing on being in a caloric deficit, I’ve really tried to focus on my sweet tooth. This time of year is usually a smorgasbord, but I’m definitely going to try and be mentally tough. If I do buy chocolate, I’ll get things like the dark chocolate peanut butter cups from Trader Joe’s and only eat the recommended serving size. If I get a craving for ice cream, I get Keto ice cream bars from Costco.
I also picked these up when they were on sale and they’re very satisfying for when I want something sweet.

View attachment 114849
Sugar is my weakness too.
I have to watch my intake but not nearly as much now that I developed Celiac disease. I can still eat some candy and some ice cream (I have to be careful because they do put gluten in some ice creams), but I lost my desire for things like donuts and cake (and bread, oh how I used to love bread), because the attacks are that painful and it makes me feel funky for a week after even if I eat the tiniest bit. So I now associate those things with pain, which sucks for me but is great for my waist line.

If you want to try out some low sugar treats, I really like Smart Sweets, and you can find them at GNC: SmartSweets - Low Sugar Gummy Candy - Kick Sugar, Keep Candy!

I also really like ChocZero. They also use allulose like Smart Sweets: ChocZero: Sugar Free Chocolate. No Sugar Alcohols. Keto Friendly.

I used to subscribe to Keto Krate, and if you are looking into any low carb diet, this is a really good way to try out products before buying a full sized box.

Tangentially related: does anyone do preworkout or get a little caffeine boost before they work out? I work out in the evenings after work and tend to be a little draggy even on my best days, but trying to figure out how to goose my energy levels a little to get more out of my workouts.
Big no from me. I want my fitness routine to be accessible, sustainable, and separated from any particular criteria beyond the goals for that session. Tying it to a stimulant starts to impact all those things at once. Furthermore, for me, caffeine is some thing I'd just rather not thanks to the impact it has on my sleep routines and overall levelness to my emotional states.

Going Au-natural means that I can perform my workouts at different times of day with full understanding of my capabilities for that time. I'm not sure I would benefit from trying to "get more" out of my workouts. I think there needs to be some natural attenuation that ebbs and flows and I'd not try to shortcut that. Also, I think given time, the workouts become a source of energy as opposed to an energy drain (I mean it's always a drain but I can finish feeling better or more invigorated than when I started).

Sugar is my weakness too.
I have to watch my intake but not nearly as much now that I developed Celiac disease. I can still eat some candy and some ice cream (I have to be careful because they do put gluten in some ice creams), but I lost my desire for things like donuts and cake (and bread, oh how I used to love bread), because the attacks are that painful and it makes me feel funky for a week after even if I eat the tiniest bit. So I now associate those things with pain, which sucks for me but is great for my waist line.

If you want to try out some low sugar treats, I really like Smart Sweets, and you can find them at GNC: SmartSweets - Low Sugar Gummy Candy - Kick Sugar, Keep Candy!

I also really like ChocZero. They also use allulose like Smart Sweets: ChocZero: Sugar Free Chocolate. No Sugar Alcohols. Keto Friendly.

I used to subscribe to Keto Krate, and if you are looking into any low carb diet, this is a really good way to try out products before buying a full sized box.
I’ll look into these, thanks!
One thing I’d like to see with these kind of things is for the pricing to come down. I’m hoping that the normalization will make that happen, but it probably won’t.

Big no from me. I want my fitness routine to be accessible, sustainable, and separated from any particular criteria beyond the goals for that session. Tying it to a stimulant starts to impact all those things at once. Furthermore, for me, caffeine is some thing I'd just rather not thanks to the impact it has on my sleep routines and overall levelness to my emotional states.

Going Au-natural means that I can perform my workouts at different times of day with full understanding of my capabilities for that time. I'm not sure I would benefit from trying to "get more" out of my workouts. I think there needs to be some natural attenuation that ebbs and flows and I'd not try to shortcut that. Also, I think given time, the workouts become a source of energy as opposed to an energy drain (I mean it's always a drain but I can finish feeling better or more invigorated than when I started).
That was a bit of my concern as well. After my workouts I wind up a little wound up without any help, and I think I’d rather have a shit workout and be able to sleep.

I'm a big fan of chocolate typically eating between 500 and 1000 calories of it almost every day. I won't bother with anything below about 80% though and I'm pretty sure the sugar content at those concentrations is fairly low. Most of the calories at that point are fat (and good fat at that). Outside of that, though I don't eat or really even like sweet foods. I mean they taste fine but they make me feel like shit so I just don't even want them.

I’ll look into these, thanks!
One thing I’d like to see with these kind of things is for the pricing to come down. I’m hoping that the normalization will make that happen, but it probably won’t.
The biggest issue with cost is the allulose--which is the sugar substitute that is found in things like figs. The concentration of this stuff is hard to do and thus, expensive. Also, wheat is a very cheap filler that is used in a LOT of things that you wouldn't think about. Wheat is a no-no for keto, and most of these types of products focus on nutritionally dense foods like nuts, which are expensive as well. But, if you start switching nutritionally poor (usually calorically dense) foods with nutritionally dense foods, you get full faster and you stay full with higher energy levels. So I guess you get what you pay for.

On NOVA last night, they were talking about edible insects and the potential for them to be a replacement for other proteins in the future.

So, would you do it?

I think I could do insect powder in a smoothie, but I'm not sure if I could eat insects--all those leeegggsss eeeeeewwwwwww...

On NOVA last night, they were talking about edible insects and the potential for them to be a replacement for other proteins in the future.

So, would you do it?

I think I could do insect powder in a smoothie, but I'm not sure if I could eat insects--all those leeegggsss eeeeeewwwwwww...

They need to grow ‘em bigger. Just big ol’ hoppin’ crabs.

So, would you do it?

Like, intellectually, I know it's really no grosser than eating birds and mammals, but, man, cultural programming runs deep.

Just because I don’t have anyone else to tell except you fine folks, I’m pretty happy with how things are going. Started with a trainer back at the end of July to try and start rebuilding my strength and attempting to add some weight on after spending the last couple years getting professionally poisoned.

Not doing spectacular with the gaining-weight thing, but adding muscle isn’t a fast process (or so they tell me). But despite a few setbacks here and there, I’m seeing some decent strength progression and staying injury free. Not gonna be lifting up houses or cars or whatever like Deb, but in my tiny little world just adding another plate to each of my bigger lifts still feels like an accomplishment and adding reps/additional sets to some of the body weight stuff is a tangible plus. I still hate going to the gym, but at least it feels like I’m doing something.

Just because I don’t have anyone else to tell except you fine folks, I’m pretty happy with how things are going. Started with a trainer back at the end of July to try and start rebuilding my strength and attempting to add some weight on after spending the last couple years getting professionally poisoned.

Not doing spectacular with the gaining-weight thing, but adding muscle isn’t a fast process (or so they tell me). But despite a few setbacks here and there, I’m seeing some decent strength progression and staying injury free. Not gonna be lifting up houses or cars or whatever like Deb, but in my tiny little world just adding another plate to each of my bigger lifts still feels like an accomplishment and adding reps/additional sets to some of the body weight stuff is a tangible plus. I still hate going to the gym, but at least it feels like I’m doing something.

So often I don’t wanna go to the gym (especially after A mentally tough work day)
But Its so true when they say - you regret not doing the workout, but you never regret a workout.
they key for me is to keep it varied if possible and get in my gyms steam/ sauna Rms twice a week 😊

Id like to do more competitive sports as that’s really where I get my fun - I’d do anything from Squash , Badminton , fencing football whatever but find as I get older less and less of my playing partners are interested anymore.
Might need to find some local clubs….

So often I don’t wanna go to the gym (especially after A mentally tough work day)
But Its so true when they say - you regret not doing the workout, but you never regret a workout.
they key for me is to keep it varied if possible and get in my gyms steam/ sauna Rms twice a week 😊

Id like to do more competitive sports as that’s really where I get my fun - I’d do anything from Squash , Badminton , fencing football whatever but find as I get older less and less of my playing partners are interested anymore.
Might need to find some local clubs….
I liken going to the gym to taking out the trash. I don’t like doing it, but I like even less what happens if I don’t do it.

So, would you do it?

That's going to be a no from me dawg. Unless I’m on a deserted island or truly starving and desperate...

In college I took a zoology class where we captured live bugs to examine in class and under a microscope. I learned that bugs can have smaller bugs on them. :sick:🤮 We released them back into the wild after class.

That's going to be a no from me dawg. Unless I’m on a deserted island or truly starving and desperate...

In college I took a zoology class where we captured live bugs to examine in class and under a microscope. I learned that bugs can have smaller bugs on them. :sick:🤮 We released them back into the wild after class.
Little bugs on bugs??? Like bugs all the way down? Nope, nope, nope...

Back