Fitness!

Those of you that ordered the UA Sportsmask...what do you think?
It’s ok. The sizing was off for me and I used their chart. It was a bit large. They changed the size chart after enough complaints and are sending replacement sizes, which is cool. It’s pretty comfortable material wise. I don’t think it’s worth $30 though. I’ve seen other retailers offering ones that look somewhat similar in material (eg Adidas) that are much cheaper.

I’d also say for the UA masks that they are fine for breathing. I think enough research, plus personal experience, has shown that they don’t interfere with breathing. In fact - and not just for working out - I’ve read doctors say that they know of no condition that would preclude wearing a mask (for those that talk about waivers for general wear). HOWEVER, they and other masks suck for working out just because of sweat - it makes them too uncomfortable.

I’d also say for the UA masks that they are fine for breathing. I think enough research, plus personal experience, has shown that they don’t interfere with breathing. In fact - and not just for working out - I’ve read doctors say that they know of no condition that would preclude wearing a mask (for those that talk about waivers for general wear). HOWEVER, they and other masks suck for working out just because of sweat - it makes them too uncomfortable.
Sweat also fills the voids in the fabric making, you guessed it, breathing near impossible. Sweat hard enough and you're basically waterboarding yourself.

Sweat also fills the voids in the fabric making, you guessed it, breathing near impossible. Sweat hard enough and you're basically waterboarding yourself.
Yes. I guess the caveat to my comment would be a non-sweaty mask which hopefully you wouldn’t be doing (too much) while going about generally.

I has someone tell me the other day, as well, that staph infections are on the rise because people aren’t cleaning their masks. Didn’t look into it but kinda makes sense.

Anecdotally: I used to run through New England winters. I would tie a bandana around my lower face to combat wind chill. It would get sweaty, partially freeze. After a couple nasty chest colds from breathing in the moisture on 5+ mile runs, I stopped running in the depths of winter.

I think this week I'll finally get to run for the first time in over a month. I managed to do something to the insertion point of my achilles tendon on one side, and I could barely walk for about a week. I've now spent a month doing physical therapy twice a week, and I have a whole regimen of strength exercises for my calves and outer hip muscles. I took this month to finally start doing some ab exercises and push ups and such too, as I had just been distance running and that was it.

Moral of the story- do some strength exercises, or you could end up regretting it!

I think this week I'll finally get to run for the first time in over a month. I managed to do something to the insertion point of my achilles tendon on one side, and I could barely walk for about a week. I've now spent a month doing physical therapy twice a week, and I have a whole regimen of strength exercises for my calves and outer hip muscles. I took this month to finally start doing some ab exercises and push ups and such too, as I had just been distance running and that was it.

Moral of the story- do some strength exercises, or you could end up regretting it!

I was doing this beginner runner training class on my iPhone, because I really want to be able to run but I am so bad at it, and the class spent the first 10 minutes having me just walk on my tiptoes, or my heels, and I felt so silly initially but eventually I started to feel the muscles being worked and was just like "oh so THIS is why I always hurt myself when I try to run!"

Built some pretty nifty blocks to do below the knee and above the knee "rack pulls". Now I need more weights. Started looking again since the pandemic shortage should be over by now, right? WRONG. It's insane out there! Just ugly. The cheapest I could find was still 5x more than I paid when this shit started going down.

Like robbing a gym is starting to make sense these days.

Sorry for being late, I was on travel for work last week and didn't get around to posting the challenge results (or running so I got passed by everyone in the challenge haha). But without further ado, here are your Summer Challenge results:

1. @debianlinux - 4d:2h:05m:00s ( 🔥 🔥 🔥🏆🏆 )
2. @Kris - 2d:14h:17m:37s
3. @panino - 2d:12h:44m:26S
4. @LeSamourai - 16h:53m:55s
5. @trickyseven - 15h:42m:07s
6. @Memo - 15h:28m:57s
7. @RowBearToe - 14h:52m:06s
8. @nolalady - 1h:30m:00s

So we had Deb making us all look bad (three-peat champ), Kris and Panino killing it as well. and then a group of 4 that were all relatively close throughout the challenge. And then there's Nolalady, who all of us believe logged many more hours but felt bad for us and stopped adding them to Endo haha. Well done on another challenge everyone! Collectively here are our stats:

8 participants, 11.9 days of activity, 757 miles logged, 182,575 calories burned!

Last edited:
Since it seems everyone is still interested I went ahead and started another challenge. This one will span Sept and Oct, with the idea being we'll do a holiday months challenge in Nov/Dec and then a winter months challenge starting in 2021. Thanks again for joining in through the summer and continue working hard now that the weather should turn a little nicer for outdoor activities!

Sorry for being late, I was on travel for work last week and didn't get around to posting the challenge results (or running so I got passed by everyone in the challenge haha). But without further ado, here are your Summer Challenge results:

1. @debianlinux - 4d:2h:05m:00s ( 🔥 🔥 🔥🏆🏆 )
2. @Kris - 2d:14h:17m:37s
3. @panino - 2d:12h:44m:26S
4. @LeSamourai - 16h:53m:55s
5. @trickyseven - 15h:42m:07s
6. @Memo - 15h:28m:57s
7. @RowBearToe - 14h:52m:06s
8. @nolalady - 1h:30m:00s

So we had Deb making us all look bad (three-peat champ), Kris and Panino killing it as well. and then a group of 4 that were all relatively close throughout the challenge. And then there's Nolalady, who all of us believe logged many more hours but felt bad for us and stopped adding them to Endo haha. Well done on another challenge everyone! Collectively here are our stats:

8 participants, 11.9 days of activity, 757 miles logged, 182,575 calories burned!

Oh dang... and I haven't logged anything since the beginning of August! (I only included runs, but this last month has been nothing but physical therapy exercises so I can start running again)

Oh dang... and I haven't logged anything since the beginning of August! (I only included runs, but this last month has been nothing but physical therapy exercises so I can start running again)

Yeah, if you had logged those PT exercises you could've been even higher. Log them this month and knock off Deb!haha But in all seriousness I hope you'll finish them up soon and can start running again.

Yeah, if you had logged those PT exercises you could've been even higher. Log them this month and knock off Deb!haha But in all seriousness I hope you'll finish them up soon and can start running again.

I've successfully done a half mile a couple of times now without the injury flaring up, so this week I'm trying a mile!

Happy to see @blissfullychaotic joined us again for this challenge, welcome back! @debianlinux, I don't see you in there yet, you've gotta defend that title! I don't see @trickyseven yet either, come back for more! @LeSamourai and @nolalady (I don't see you in there yet either) log those PT hours, they definitely count!
I'm in! Happy to be back. The last one really helped me stay motivated to put in some work. I fell off towards the end of the last one, hoping to get some more runs/bikes in this time around.

Back