Fitness!

During our Quarantine Challenge from April 1 - May 31st we collectively worked out for 7.7 days, ran 503 miles, and burned 114,642 calories between the 7 of us that participated! Great work everyone! Here are the final standings (https://www.endomondo.com/challenges/42721422):

1. @debianlinux (congrats!...again haha)
2. @panino
3. @RowBearToe
4. @Memo (great late surge to secure 4th)
5. @LeSamourai
6. @nolalady
7. @Kris

Again, great work everyone and way to stay active during a time that it's incredibly difficult to do so. Anyone interested in a summer challenge? I could set up a similar challenge from June 1 - August 31 if enough people are interested. Let me know your thoughts, and regardless, keep staying active or work to start getting active again!

Do we have to use endomondo? I've been cycling about 70-100miles each week and would love to join in but use another app that's linked to my watch that tracks my data

During our Quarantine Challenge from April 1 - May 31st we collectively worked out for 7.7 days, ran 503 miles, and burned 114,642 calories between the 7 of us that participated! Great work everyone! Here are the final standings (Needles & Grooves Quarantine Motivation Challenge! | Most active minutes (All sports) Challenge | Endomondo):

1. @debianlinux (congrats!...again haha)
2. @panino
3. @RowBearToe
4. @Memo (great late surge to secure 4th)
5. @LeSamourai
6. @nolalady
7. @Kris

Again, great work everyone and way to stay active during a time that it's incredibly difficult to do so. Anyone interested in a summer challenge? I could set up a similar challenge from June 1 - August 31 if enough people are interested. Let me know your thoughts, and regardless, keep staying active or work to start getting active again!
Hah, I completely forgot about logging my workouts. I’m way down anyways. I’ve been walking but I really miss going to the gym.

Great job everyone!

got an email this morning from my gym...

1591018954741.png
1591018977799.png

I think I might take a beat and see what happens. We have had relatively good results with COVID-19 up here in Vermont, but there's no vaccine and nothing really changes. They paused everyone's billing which is starting back up again today. So no one was billed for the past two months, and memberships have been extended out longer because of the pause. Also, I've been doing well myself to exercise literally every day since we've been quarantined. I do miss some of the equipment at the gym, but those are the machines that I worry about using because people are bad about wiping down machines.

Anyone else a member of a gym in a similar predicament?

Reactions: Tyr
Thanks @RowBearToe ! I’m in for the next challenge! @debianlinux is unreachable but I’ll keep trying!

I think it should be Deb vs. everyone else this time around haha whaddaya think @debianlinux

When I wanted to step it up, I started wearing weighted gloves to kickboxing.

I need to figure out how to get my fitbit to sync. I didn't put in all my workouts.

@debianlinux turns into a pumpkin every Sunday. He should be transformed back by now.

Happy start of the summer workout folks. I started today with 30 minutes of yoga and my back is thanking me.

I'm sorry you're having issues with the fitbit syncing, hopefully Memo's advice helped!

Do we have to use endomondo? I've been cycling about 70-100miles each week and would love to join in but use another app that's linked to my watch that tracks my data

I think we'll stick to Endo because we've been using it for a while now and seems to work for most people. I am open to changing if there's a push for that though. There is a website that will sync workouts between sites for you. I'll re-link it for you, maybe check it out. I hope you join!

I apologize in advance for how long this post is haha Since there seemed to be some interest I created an Endo challenge, just as an example so you guys can see what it's all about. I think this post will respond to all of the quoted messages, but let me know if it doesn't. Here is the link:

This challenge is counting active minutes so that every type of workout applies. If you're running, biking, weight lifting, taking a class at the gym, doing yoga, snowboarding, kickboxing, walking, dancing, it doesn't matter, you can participate! The app is generally built for running, so for instance if you add a workout for weight training, it doesn't have specifics, just asks you for duration, heart rate and date. But again, it would still allow you to participate. This isn't intended to be a really competitive thing, but used to help with motivation. Plus if we add each other as friends we can see workouts and comment and encourage each other to keep it up. If there isn't any interest, that's totally fine with me, I'm good with just staying up to date in this thread. It goes from now until the end of March, and again is intended to help motivate us all to get out there and stay active! Let me know your thoughts.

For those who already use something other than Endo to track your workouts, in the past I have used this website to sync my Endo workouts with Strava, RunKeeper, Garmin and other sites: sync your runs, rides & more • tapiriik. I was comfortable with the privacy policy, but I would ensure you are as well. For Strava, Endomondo and RunKeeper, they don't store user names or passwords, they use them once to obtain an access token and then discard them. So they have an access token and rights to your data so that it can be copied over, but that's it, and they do not share that information with third parties. The privacy page goes into much more detail.

@blissfullychaotic the second paragraph details the website I was referring to. Maybe check it out and again, I hope you join the challenge!

got an email this morning from my gym...

View attachment 49951
View attachment 49952

I think I might take a beat and see what happens. We have had relatively good results with COVID-19 up here in Vermont, but there's no vaccine and nothing really changes. They paused everyone's billing which is starting back up again today. So no one was billed for the past two months, and memberships have been extended out longer because of the pause. Also, I've been doing well myself to exercise literally every day since we've been quarantined. I do miss some of the equipment at the gym, but those are the machines that I worry about using because people are bad about wiping down machines.

Anyone else a member of a gym in a similar predicament?
My gym opened with no classes, and while I do want to use their weights, I decided not to go. But my gym is starting classes back up this week, and I'm really considering going to a class. My gym has also waived our fees. I'm not sure if I feel save but I feel like I need an instructor led yoga session.

My gym opened with no classes, and while I do want to use their weights, I decided not to go. But my gym is starting classes back up this week, and I'm really considering going to a class. My gym has also waived our fees. I'm not sure if I feel safe but I feel like I need an instructor led yoga session.
yeah I'm not as motivated to do a lot of diverse exercising at home because I have limited resources. It's so easy to move from machine to machine in the gym instead of reconfiguring my resistance bands in a door jamb or moving around a foldable workout bench into different positions. If after a couple of weeks pass and no one is getting sick and everything seems fine with people attending the gym, I may consider going back for some workouts. Maybe...

My company is offering OpenFit to everyone for free during this time. I'm not using it, but my girlfriend has been doing the workouts every day on there and really likes it. They have loads of guided workouts, including yoga, which might be an option. There's a 2 week free trial and then $10/month which is reasonable IMO.

I joined the first challenge out of curiosity about how much time I actually put in. While I figured I would be at or near the top I didn’t expect to be so far ahead. It has given me some good perspective on how much space I give fitness in my life. I do have lofty goals which require substantial space but I also desire balance and a reasonable ramp down to something more normal once those goals are achieved. With the virus forcing gyms closed I have had to improvise and ultimately cut back on time spent working out (yes, my numbers are now lower than before). It has been pretty cool to actually see a modest boost in progress and a big boost in balance. I was literally working too hard before.

I took a screen shot. I’m sure it will be the last time @debianlinux isn’t in first place :) I took a 30 minute walk at lunch yesterday and then a 2 mile hike last night. I gotta get back to it. No excuses, it’s nice outside.
Logged my stats to date and you’re still ahead! Much cooler screenshot now available.

hey guys, is the endomondo site not working for you all?
My runs are not uploading and I see that numbers for all the participants have not changed for the last 2 days.

I'm working hard to stay on debian's tail....

My runs are not uploading and I see that numbers for all the participants have not changed for the last 2 days.

It's working for me. I was able to log a workout just now.

It's working for me. I was able to log a workout just now.

Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing. I'm able to log my runs with the app, and they show up in my training history, but for some reason the challenge isn't updating my time.

I should have explained better.
I don't log out my workouts/runs but get them synchronised from my Garmin app.
I never had problems up to tuesday, but no uploads since then.

Oh, that's even different from what I thought you meant haha if you go to the training history tab, do those Garmin workouts show up, but they're just not logging in the challenge? Or are they not being uploaded from Garmin at all?

Oh, that's even different from what I thought you meant haha if you go to the training history tab, do those Garmin workouts show up, but they're just not logging in the challenge? Or are they not being uploaded from Garmin at all?
good suggestion!
I see my 2 last workouts in my training history, but no uploads into our challenge....
and, you know, that's all that matters!
;)

Back