February 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread - Games People Play

Henry Adam Svec! Holy shit I didn't think I'd ever encounter a reference to him on this forum. Have you heard his Livingston records?

Weird that I accidentally inverted his name... I have indeed heard his Livingston records!

Folk Songs of Canada Now was my original introduction to Svec's work because of some of the players involved - specifically I learned of its existence through Geoff Berner and was further interested quite quickly seeing Mathias Kom, Wax Mannequin, Olenka Krakus and Jenny Omnichord attached to the project.

A festival lunch with Dave Bidini and Geoff Berner a year or two later was when I learned more about Svec himself and found a proper name for the work my friend and I (and, of course, Svec) were doing in "fakelore" - it was quite a gamechanger of a meal for me artistically and academically, truly. I will admit, I had to look up Svec's name again after a few years, but the term and idea of fakelore have been pretty forefront in my life for the last decade thanks to him, so I'm glad this prompt put me back down that path in order that I may give him proper props rather than indirect ones. I also plan to revisit all these recordings over the coming weeks and see that he put out a book last year that I have just today ordered through my local bookseller!

Last edited:
Weird that I accidentally inverted his name... I have indeed heard his Livingston records!

Folk Songs of Canada Now was my original introduction to Svec's work because of some of the players involved - specifically I learned of its existence through Geoff Berner and was further interested quite quickly seeing Mathias Kom, Wax Mannequin, Olenka Krakus and Jenny Omnichord attached to the project.

A festival lunch with Dave Bidini and Geoff Berner a year or two later was when I learned more about Svec himself and found a proper name for the work my friend and I (and, of course, Svec) were doing in "fakelore" - it was quite a gamechanger of a meal for me artistically and academically, truly. I will admit, I had to look up Svec's name again after a few years, but the term and idea of fakelore have been pretty forefront in my life for the last decade thanks to him, so I'm glad this prompt put me back down that path in order that I may give him proper props rather than indirect ones. I also plan to revisit all these recordings over the coming weeks and see that he put out a book last year that I have just today ordered through my local bookseller!
That's amazing! May I ask what your work in fakelore has been, if you're willing to share?

I found the first Livingston album online in 2014 or so, I think, and thought the whole concept was really interesting and funny. I read a lot of media theory and Canadian studies and stuff in university and have always been fascinated by it. Those two albums have been mainstays for me since.

I read his book last year and enjoyed it, though I'll fully admit that some aspects of it fully went over my head! It does not really work like a novel at all, haha. I'd reached out to him a few years ago, when he was working on the novel, and he'd mentioned that when it came out there would be some performances as well. Of course that was pre-COVID.

Day 27: Sorry

A. Savage - Thawing Dawn

We all seem to like Parquet Courts here, but somehow I seem to be the only one who's ever mentioned this 2017 solo album from frontman Andrew Savage. It's tough to find/expensive on vinyl most of the time, but I'd highly recommend PC fans check this out. He toured behind it that fall and put on a great show at a small venue. This is one of my most played albums since then.

PXL_20220227_173234882~2.jpg

That's amazing! May I ask what your work in fakelore has been, if you're willing to share?

I found the first Livingston album online in 2014 or so, I think, and thought the whole concept was really interesting and funny. I read a lot of media theory and Canadian studies and stuff in university and have always been fascinated by it. Those two albums have been mainstays for me since.

I read his book last year and enjoyed it, though I'll fully admit that some aspects of it fully went over my head! It does not really work like a novel at all, haha. I'd reached out to him a few years ago, when he was working on the novel, and he'd mentioned that when it came out there would be some performances as well. Of course that was pre-COVID.

My work in fakelore over the past dozen years has been as one half of theatrical poetical spoken word/weird duo 2 Dope Boys in a Cadillac (yes, the name is an OutKast reference and yes, we are also an aquemini duo!) Our first few years together, in particular, we were working on creating what we believe to be the world's first psychedelic talk opera, lensed through mildly fictionalized versions of ourselves - which was just a lark to us at first, but actually turned out to be so successful on our first tour in 2010 that people who knew one, or both, of us before our working together bought in fully to the work we were sure was so obviously being presented "in character."

When Bidini mentioned "fakelore" it was a very big "Eureka!" moment for what we'd been doing without having the specific words or goal for it - once we had the term it became an even brighter guiding light for our work. Even presenting ourselves outright as "fakelorists" found many missing the point and believing some or all of our untruths. Given that a lot of our work has looked at humanity's bringing about its own self-destruction, gentrification, colonialism and progress at the cost of many lives, the fakelore angle seems to make things much more palatable for an audience, enabling us to bill our psychedelic talk opera, The Anthropocalypse, as "a light-hearted look at the end of the world!" while also having people come up to us later and realizing how heavy the show they just laughed their asses of throughout actually was!

Last edited:
Day 27 - Sorry - Don't apologize! Play something that you like that isn't well known by others

The Greyboy Allstars - Como De Allstars

I randomly bought their CD 'A Town Called Earth' back in 97 because it was in a bin titled Acid Jazz and and I didn't really know that genre at the time but it sounded interesting. I totally fell in love with that disc. It's never been pressed to vinyl, but a couple years ago they pressed their first release (West Coast Boogaloo) and I asked them on Insta if they had plans to press A Town and they said it's in the works...hopefully that's true.

IMG_0165.JPGIMG_0166.JPG

@avecigrec that is so cool!
And wow, I didn't know this term existed, but now I can categorize a couple projects I've been working on.
The first started over a decade ago when I invented a punk or post-punk character and wrote a couple songs. Then I started filling in his back story and the story of his band. A good friend who happens to be a playwright, actor and musician got involved and we worked up 2/3 of script. We got stuck on the end and never finished it. We also got stuck on whether it would be an actual play, or webisodes, or something else entirely. At this point we have 8 songs written and may do an EP of 'covers' to ad to the lore.

I am currently working on a four song suite, unrelated to the other one, but it's definitely fakelore. The goal for this one is to do a four-video release or maybe a short film. A lofty goal but since I'm not in a gigging/rehearsing band right now I have a lot of time for my projects.

Day 27 - Sorry - Don't apologize! Play something that you like that isn't well liked/known by others

Jacques Higelin "BBH75" (1974 EMI; 2020 remaster)
I'll go with a little known French record I love for this. BBH75 is generally regarded as the first real French rock album. To me the sound comes off as Gainsbourg meets Iggy Pop, a few years before Iggy went solo. Not a single bad track on this either.

IMG_2253.JPG

Day 27 - Sorry - Don't apologize! Play something that you like that isn't well liked/known by others

Christian Kuria - Borderline

20220227_024305.jpg

Most of my favorite artists at any given moment are ones that are up-and-comers or ones that fly somewhere beneath the mainstream. Christian is no different in that regard and this is one of my favorite albums of the last few years.

20220227_141320.jpg

Day 26 - Clue - Play a mysterious artist or record OR one that deals with murder/weaponry

Low - Drums and Guns

There's the title, and the closing tracks are "Murderer" and "Violent Past."

20200606_140312-jpg.50673

Day 27: Sorry

Ed Sheeran - ÷ (Divide)

View attachment 130562

Ed Sheeran gets way too much hate, I don’t get it.

I promise I don't hate him!

Yikes... I just realized I can't think of a single of his songs off the top of my head (for a second I thought I had, but I was thinking of a John Mayer song). Now I have to fire up the ol' Apple Music...

Last edited:
Day 27 - Sorry - Don't apologize! Play something that you like that isn't well known by others
according to discogs 51 other people own this so I'm guessing it isn't well known
20211230_153633.jpg20211230_153933.jpg

Tim Vantol – Better Days

Label:Eminorseven – EM7017
Format:Vinyl, LP, Album, Limited Edition, Swamp Green
Released:22 May 2020
Genre:Rock, Pop, Folk, World, & Country

Back