February 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread - Games People Play

Payday

217CDFD5-B20F-4670-98D1-787C807D052C.jpeg
Bee Gees Stayin’ Alive/How Deep is Your Love

This isn’t even in my cogs. I have no idea about it’s value, yet it is the single most expensive record I own (well tied)…

The Christmas I was in the first grade, my parents gave me a turntable. It was a suitcase style covered in denim with a faux pocket on it. I got two 45s. This and Kiss - Detroit Rock City/Beth.

This began a 42 year love affair with music. Those two 45s probably worth nothing became this:

0312979D-E814-47E2-B81F-E2DE52497363.jpeg

Day 17 - Battleship - Play something aquatic

Always a pleasure to put on the great Paul Pena.

If you're unfamiliar with Paul, it's worth exploring his music and his story. Pretty incredible.....and pretty heartbreaking.

If you're a Deadhead from way, way back, you may have seen Paul open a show. He and Jerry were buds.

Thanks for everything, Paul.

Paul Pena - S/T

20220217_221135.jpg

Day 10 - Candyland - Play something sweet

The Candyman can.

Primus – Primus & The Chocolate Factory With The Fungi Ensemble
Not On Label (Primus Self-released) – none, 2014

"Bootleg" variant - Hand-numbered, hand-spray painted edition of 1000, #790

Cut by Chris Bellman
Pressed at United

RjDu2R.jpg

XgU3bH.jpg

Day 15 - Pay Day
Tobe Nwigwe – Fouriginals

20220217_203635.jpg

While I didn't pay the $254 asked for and sold on Discogs for this, it did run me about $80 direct from the artist after shipping and exchange. I was making much more money at the time and wound up in a 3-hour rabbit hole after watching Tobe's Tiny Desk concert which ended in my ordering this for the inclusion of the Tiny Desk concert on the album. I wish the costs were a bit more reasonable to pick up more of his stuff but I'm pumped to have this one at least.

Gabriel Garzón Montano - Agüita

20220217_191918.jpg

From the first time i looked at the criteria for this month I Knew what I would play and post for today... and then someone beat me to it.... so here's GGM. An artist I really like, though I don't much care for this album. It fits the theme though...

Day 18 - Aggravation
Play an angry record or a record with an angry song

Otoboke Beaver - Itekoma Hits

16451752681054822536013063046379.jpg

Hardcore punk quartet from Japan. Frenzied and chaotic musicianship as any of their peers. I mean, this album has song titles like "6 Day Working Week Is a Pain" and "I'm Tired of Your Repeating Story," so what's not to love?

Always a pleasure to put on the great Paul Pena.

If you're unfamiliar with Paul, it's worth exploring his music and his story. Pretty incredible.....and pretty heartbreaking.

If you're a Deadhead from way, way back, you may have seen Paul open a show. He and Jerry were buds.

Thanks for everything, Paul.

Paul Pena - S/T

View attachment 129302

This is fantastic

Edit: And today I learned Steve Miller didn't write Jet Airliner.

Day 11 - Go Fish - Play a record you got from someone else OR play an album related to fish or fishing

Not my favorite JT, but it has its moments.

Jethro Tull – Catfish Rising
Chrysalis – CHR 1886, 1991

The 3 track 12" is just the last 3 songs of the album that couldn't fit on the 1 LP - not anything too special.

Cut at Transfermation
Pressed at EMI

iIS8SX.jpg

jhAs6J.jpg

Back