February 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread - Games People Play

Day 02: Risk
Play something you bought without listening to first/went in blind.

Scientist - Scientist And Jammy Strike Back!
D66F5497-660E-47D0-A004-475ADBC689AA.jpeg
There really wasn’t much of RISK going in blind on this record (which also was my first dub album) given how amazing the cover was there was no way that music contained therein wasn’t equally brilliant.

Last edited:
Day Two - Risk - Play something you bought without listening to first/went in blind.

To echo @TenderLovingKiller® - there wasn't much risk buying this one blind. It was an N&G AOTM chosen by @Lee Newman last February and I tend to have similar taste in music as he. I had never heard of Birds of Chicago, and once he revealed them as his choice I just ordered a copy. I wasn't sorry.

Birds of Chicago - Love in Wartime
IMG_0026.JPG

Day 2 - Risk
Play something you bought without listening to first/went in blind.

Paradise Killer Original Soundtrack

Found and was recommended this during my most recent visit to Final Form last year, a small shop in Portland that specializes in retro gaming (consoles, cartridges, controllers, hi-quality stickers, action figures, etc.). In addition, they house a modest but all-killer-no-filler selection of vinyl, particularly in the video game and movie soundtrack genres. A bit of emo/punk and vaporwave as well, oddly enough.
This one has lots of city pop vibes. The album artwork was IMMEDIATELY striking to me, with my affinity for the genre + Japanese culture. Never played the game, though. It bops.

16438466167481425342124989826819.jpg

Last edited:
Day One - Uno - Play an artist or band's first album

Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True

View attachment 127317

I know we have Uno around here, but to look for it would mean digging under the couch
Even just hearing the title of this album puts me in a good mood and brings back good memories.

Day 2 - Risk

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Risk is one of my all-time favourite games. In my younger days I believed in playing out of Australia, and then I grew older and wiser, and now I try to work from South America.

I bought this album in late 2008 or early 2009 from a record shop in Ottawa called the Turning Point, when I was really first starting out. I was kind of into prog and heard this album was a classic, so I grabbed it. Thankfully it rules!

PXL_20220201_192833601~2.jpg

Day Two - Risk - Play something you bought without listening to first/went in blind.

Paul McCartney - McCartney III

C697DB94-EB67-4ED9-B78E-D1980F0FF6E5.jpeg

A million different variants went up for pre-order (some selling out) months before even a single was available to listen to. The album is just okay.

Day 2 - Risk

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Risk is one of my all-time favourite games. In my younger days I believed in playing out of Australia, and then I grew older and wiser, and now I try to work from South America.

I bought this album in late 2008 or early 2009 from a record shop in Ottawa called the Turning Point, when I was really first starting out. I was kind of into prog and heard this album was a classic, so I grabbed it. Thankfully it rules!

View attachment 127318
Actually thinking about it more, Risk is probably the game I most associate with my childhood. I remember playing it often when camping in the summer with my cousins. Fun times.

Day 02: R I S K

CHAIN UP THE SUN ~ NEAUX

Ok so I had no idea what shoegaze was until I picked this up. I was intrigued by the cover alone and I was SOLD!
Since I don't have RISK I decided to show a game I took a risk on which is called THE MIND!
The premise of the game is to work with the group of players to empty their hands of cards. The cards are numbered 1-100. they have to be emptied in numerical order. The catch? You cannot speak to one another and must work together to guess how to empty the hands!

image_50425089.JPG

I have all of the N&G RotMs so far and they are mostly all first time listens, but they are all great.

Dota – Kaléko

YEAR 3 AOTMS
VOL. 25

JULY 2021
Dota - Kaleko
chosen by @Jan

PXL_20220203_015412000.jpg

What IS a risk, however, is playing any board game with cats!

PXL_20220201_133629469.jpg

Day Two - Risk
Caribou Vibration Ensemble featuring Marshall Allen – Caribou Vibration Ensemble Featuring Marshall Allen

20220202_201959.jpg

I've never heard this until right now. I was doing a Discogs order for my mom and noticed Marshall Allen's name attached to this and immediately asked her to add it to the order for my birthday later this month. She was kind enough to do so.

As an added risk - my wife hates this and has shut me down while I've been typing this one-handed and feeding the baby, so I'll have to resume play when she goes to bed shortly! :ROFLMAO:

Day Three - The Game of Life - Play a record that deals with or has a song that deals with mortality

Death bookends this record and this song gives me goosebumps every time. Such a beautifully constructed tune, especially this live version - the stillness of reflection and realization of fate gives way to the cacophony of the crash and dissolves into the last beats of the heart. Sublime...

Drive-By Truckers - Southern Rock Opera

20190818_233547.jpg

One look at this family tells you how long this game has been in our family...

20220203_000835.jpg

Day One - Uno - Play an artist or band's first album

XTC – White Music
Virgin International – VI 2095, 1978/1979

1st US pressing released a year after UK release.

Cut by George Piros at Atlantic Studios
Pressed at Hub-Servall Record Mfg. Corp.

KENBXK.jpg

BhlLYY.jpg

Back