February 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread - Games People Play

Day 20 - Jenga - Pull an album randomly from the middle of your stack, bin, or shelf and play it

Hubert Lenoir "Darlène" (2019 Simone Records)
Pulled this from the middle of my current rotation bin. This is great. I really wanted to spin this again.
A little background because this record is a French Canadian gem that didn't get a lot of airplay outside Quebec, where it won multiple awards in 2019. "Darlène" is a modern glam rock concept album. You can tell Lenoir is a student of the genre because he knows its limits but also knows how to surpass them to make something original. Here, he does that by peppering jazz elements. He's also not afraid to intersperse instrumentals, which is not so common any more. The album also has two 3-song suites, opening each side. The narrative concept is a love story between a suicidal American tourist and a local punk girl (and includes one English track sung from the perspective of the American to close out side A). If I were to describe the music, I'd call it a blend between T Rex, Rufus Wainright, Harmonium and Donald Byrd.

IMG_2208.JPG

Sample track:

Day 20 - Jenga - Pull an album randomly from the middle of your stack, bin, or shelf and play it

Straight from my randomly stacked "new-to-me" stack.

Voyag3r – New York Ninja - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Death Waltz Recording Company – DW185, 2022

Mondo Exclusive "Plutonium Killer" variant - Limited to 500

Pressed at GZ

OXWME4.jpg

pGowqK.jpg

One of these days I'll watch the movie. It has an interesting story in how it got made.

cRZgv9.jpg

Last edited:
51001616879_d869a24a34_k.jpg

The Lovely Eggs – This Is Eggland​

Label:Egg (4) – EGG009
Format:Vinyl, LP, Album, Limited Edition, Orange
Released:23 Feb 2018
Genre:Rock, Pop
Style:Alternative Rock, Post-Punk
bonus pic I have been waiting for this one, we frequently go camping at various motor racing events around the country (I'm a flag Marshal) however when we camp at Silverstone for the British GP my nephews camp with us and on the first night we always play Sausage Jenga, typical cremated to raw option available
13653186_1810957569134273_2269701297931400855_o.jpg

Bruce Cockburn - Circles in the Stream

Screenshot_20220220-155428.jpg
I used to play giant Jenga at this cool bar in Denver called 1up where they served 40s and bottles of Boone's Farm that for some reason I love. I also enjoyed drinking straight out of a bottle of "wine" at the bar.
the-1up-patio-and-giant.jpg
My favorite flavor.
Screenshot_20220220-160207.jpg

Last edited:

Pulled this from the middle of my current rotation bin. This is great. I really wanted to spin this again.
A little background because this record is a French Canadian gem that didn't get a lot of airplay outside Quebec, where it won multiple awards in 2019. "Darlène" is a modern glam rock concept album. You can tell Lenoir is a student of the genre because he knows its limits but also knows how to surpass them to make something original. Here, he does that by peppering jazz elements. He's also not afraid to intersperse instrumentals, which is not so common any more. The album also has two 3-song suites, opening each side. The narrative concept is a love story between a suicidal American tourist and a local punk girl (and includes one English track sung from the perspective of the American to close out side A). If I were to describe the music, I'd call it a blend between T Rex, Rufus Wainright, Harmonium and Donald Byrd.

View attachment 129622

Sample track:

@nolalady I think you might like this record since I believe you appreciate both glam and French music.

View attachment 129622

Sample track:

love my Glam (not sure about the french bit but I will give this a listen) one band to look out for if you like new glam is Buzzard Buzzard Buzzard, seeing them in a few weeks and there debut album is out soon

View attachment 129662

The Lovely Eggs – This Is Eggland​

Label:Egg (4) – EGG009
Format:Vinyl, LP, Album, Limited Edition, Orange
Released:23 Feb 2018
Genre:Rock, Pop
Style:Alternative Rock, Post-Punk
bonus pic I have been waiting for this one, we frequently go camping at various motor racing events around the country (I'm a flag Marshal) however when we camp at Silverstone for the British GP my nephews camp with us and on the first night we always play Sausage Jenga, typical cremated to raw option available
View attachment 129666

I can't say I've played sausage Jenga, but I can say you just qualified for the Game Pic raffle.

Bruce Cockburn - Circles in the Stream

View attachment 129668
I used to play giant Jenga at this cool bar in Denver called 1up where they served 40s and bottles of Boone's Farm that for some reason I love. I also enjoyed drinking straight out of a bottle of "wine" at the bar.
View attachment 129669
My favorite flavor.
View attachment 129670
I've never played Giant Jenga although I've definitely seen it before. Also, you just made the Game Pic raffle!

Back