February 2021 Challenge (& Raffle)

Day 19 - Bargain
Led Zeppelin II

I haven't gotten any crazy deals, just pretty good ones on eBay for lots of used records. Although these days, some do seem like a steal. This one is a little different. I think the only time my Mom has given me vinyl as a present, her friend offered her to choose a few from her collection that she didn't want any more. I don't think she wanted money, but my Mom insisted on giving her $5 each. This was one she picked for me for Christmas. To my surprise, it was an RL cut.

PXL_20210223_175509419.jpg

Day 21 - wow me!
Thee Oh Sees - An Odd Entrances

Happy belated birthday!

I'm not a big merch/cool stuff collector. Some of my favorite goodies I've already shared a few times for these challenges (uh oh maybe this one too?). I think flexis are really cool bonuses with albums' first presses. Just the fact that they are so flimsy and this one still sounds pretty good is cool to me. This might be the only one I have though.

PXL_20210223_200615590.jpg

PXL_20210223_201204897.jpg

Day 23 - quartet

The Stone Roses - Turns Into Stone

I was about to play Physical Graffiti when I checked the rest of the list and scrubbed that. The Beatles and REM have already been taken so I went with the Roses, another of those bands like Led Zeppelin where the guitarist, drummer, and bassist are just superlative players. I normally play their debut so good to break out this excellent b-sides collection. One of my favourite gigs was seeing them in 1995, sans Reni.

20210223_212056.jpg

Fri 19 –‘Ow much? Part I
Play your biggest ever bargain/cheapest record, and reveal what you paid for it.

Charli XCX - True Romance

16141535239555633189163303712052.jpg

Back when InSound existed, I got this on a whim (I do this "on a whim" action far less frequently now) during one of their 60% off sales. After discount, it was $8 on the nose! The last four copies on Discogs went for an average of $146.25 each, one of which was a month ago.
It may not be among her best releases, but you can hear some elements of what would slowly progress to her futurepop sound as it is now.

Sat 20 – Vinterferie
In Norway, the one-week winter school holiday starts today. Play something suitably chilly.

Björk - Vespertine

1614156832339875406480403724157.jpg

My #5 all time. Vespertine is not only successful for its messages. The music is simply timeless. The more electronic elements of the album are outdone by harps, strings, a choir of children, and even a music box. The spiritual and emotional sincerity of the album are abetted by the sense of purity conveyed by a blanket of newly fallen snow. The post-coital cooing of "Cocoon" sounds shiver-induced, safe, and intimate, while plodding footsteps through snow comprise the opening microbeats (as Björk defines them) of "Aurora." The instrumental "Frosti" sounds as if it emanates from a snow globe. A triumph. A true art pop queen.

Day 21: Wow me!
It’s my birthday so show off the coolest music thing you have (memorabilia, merch, record), and spin an associated record.
Animal Collective - Sung Tongs
6B041A89-3E7A-457A-9336-F935BF8BBBD6.jpeg

For this albums 15th anniversary Avey Tare and Panda Bear toured and played Sung Tongs in it’s entirety. The show was amazing and I also bagged some band merch, a t-shirt, this LP, but most interesting was the art print. It is beautiful and iridescent. Typically I hate picking up stuff like this at shows because of the anxiety it causes, stressing about whether I can get it back home without creasing or spilling beer on it. Thankfully I made it back home in perfect condition, unfortunately it is still sitting neglected behind my work desk. The ultimate plan is to get it framed and hang it in my record room. Unfortunately that hasn’t yet occurred. It’s still beautiful and I find interesting new bits everytime I study it.
A8BD420F-C200-48BD-BA0C-B23806744165.jpeg

80DC0FC7-1081-4E55-89B9-181DDB408F05.jpeg
Also, Happy Belated Birthday @Poly-Rythmo I hope you had a wonderful day full of things you enjoy.

Last edited:
Day 24 – Physical Graffiti: Led Zeppelin released one of my most prized albums 55 years ago today. Play something by them (or some other classic rock).

Playing this one at a much lower volume than I should, since my wife is teaching 3rd grade in the room next door.

The album is thankfully in much better shape than the cover.

Led Zeppelin ~ The Song Remains the Same Soundtrack

1614188148331.png

Day 22: I can’t wait
Play an album by the act you’re most looking forward to seeing when this damn pandemic is over.
Kiwi Jr. - Cooler Returns
39BAFC60-8095-47C1-87C9-D8D5F21DE608.jpeg

I didn’t personally Discover Kiwi Jr. until the very beginning of 2020 but Football Money was a favorite of mine last year and now with Cooler Returns they are 2 for 2 on great albums and are just the type of band I would adore seeing live. They have two albums full of great tunes and are still small enough that I could enjoy them from an amazing small venue like Neumos in Seattle or Alma Mater here in Tacoma. Hopefully they will tour this coming Fall and I will get my chance.

Note: I chose this video because we drank at The Horseshoe while vacationing in Toronto. A fun venue.

Last edited:
Back