Favorite Live Albums?

The White Stripes - live in Mississippi. It's their last live show. The message in the run out reads, "Meg told me before the show". Jack's playing is particularly manic and expressive.

At Folsom Prison- one of all time favorite albums by anyone.

Wilco - Kicking Televisions Live in Chicago. I go to this more than the albums these days.

Ty Segall/King Tuff - live at Pickathon. Especially for the Ty side, but the King Tuff side is super fun too.

Iron maidens "live in rio". "Live after death" gets the fan favorite accolades but rio's better imo. It's the first live album after Bruce's return to the band and he's doing both the classics and the new stuff, including stuff from the blaze Bailey years when he was gone from the band. Blaze wasn't so bad, but the songs really shine with Bruce putting the old air raid siren pipes to 'em. But the thing that really makes this album shine as a live album is how involved and HUGE the crowd is. Metal never really died in South America, and the Brazilian fans singing along often equal the amplified band, and their passion for the music is infectious.

If I had to pick a representative track to give you an idea, I think there's several contenders but "fear of the dark" is as good as any

On their EP "Sold Out!", the Squirrel Nut Zippers have a version of "La Grippe" that was recorded live at some radio show that's amazing. Here it is:

They re-recorded it last year because of course they did, but for my money the live version's better. Here's the re-recorded version.

Back