Everything Video Games!

As a Switch loyalist I believe the system has all of the AAA titles it needs.

I’m currently playing the Switch port of Subnautica which I randomly picked up during last month's sale for < $10. I’ve never been into survival games but was intrigued by the good reviews and underwater theme. I’m now 70 hours in and am yet to beat it (missing one goddamn crucial piece of technology). I don’t love everything about it (I sure could use fewer jump scares) but have gotten far more than my money’s worth for this one.

Between now and the end of the year I’m looking forward to the Hogwarts game and playing against my son on EA FC 24 (the non-FIFA FIFA game). Still have Tactics Ogre: Reborn in my backlog and also want to play Sea of Stars. Beyond those there are at least another 10-15 titles I’m at least interested in, and I’m probably going to eventually replay all the Xenoblade games and TOTK… so odds are good that I will stick to the Switch for a while longer.

kind of weird that the thing that got me the most excited from this direct was the new amiibo announcements lol
for me it was F-Zero 99, Horizon Chase 2 (I'm ready for the sale down the road), and that Trombone game... like for real, it's out today and I need it

Starfield update...I like it a lot. it's super fun, way more than I was expecting.

trying to stay on those main quests, but the allure of side quests within side quests gets me every time. all of it has been pretty engaging so far, whether main story or side quest, so no matter what I'm doing it's a good time.

I know it wasn't advertised as a space exploration game, but what it has is pretty dismal. fast traveling to a fast travel screen is dumb.

but fuck it, when I stumble on pirates and an all out battle ensues, or a Terrormorph jumps out of nowhere and I'm blasting away and burning through med kits like there's no tomorrow it's fun as fuck!

so yeah, level 13 and about 15 hours in and it's a good time!

for me it was F-Zero 99, Horizon Chase 2 (I'm ready for the sale down the road), and that Trombone game... like for real, it's out today and I need it

Sora amiibo announcement was a big sigh of relief. there was speculation within the amiibo collecting community that there wasn’t going to be a sora amiibo because of disney or whatever and we all kept pointing to the fact that smash ult doesn’t have the data for the sora amiibo in it. so now that it’s confirmed, we dont have to speculate anymore!!

Rarely dip my toes in this thread but I need some recommendations.

I'm taking a trip with a bunch of my old high school friends for a get-away slash bachelor party at a lakehouse and I volunteered to bring a PS4. Only issue is I really don't know of that many local 4-player split screen games we could play. Other than the typical COD style co-op which may only be 2-player in most cases.

Any recommendations?
Towerfall Ascension is my preference

Having a lot of fun playing Starfield. I recognize all the problems it has, but for me, just wandering around space getting into random shenanigans is exactly what I wanted. Had some fun random encounters, and it's funny to go to planets and find reused structures, right up to the flavor text you find in the text logs. I think my chief complaint is that just like Fallout 76, I ALWAYS need more adhesive. Been looking for that planet full of horses (sorry for the bad joke).

Also been playing Sea of Stars off and on. Loving it so far. Tons of charm, looking forward to unravelling the greater story. Combat is simple yet feels like it's going to get super deep, and any time you completely shut down the enemy it makes you feel smart. The little tweaks to the turn based formula are very refreshing. Hardest part so far is readjusting my mindset to realize I get to choose my parties turn order.

Finally, I hit 200 losses in a row in Isaac trying to beat Mother with Tainted Lost. Starting to think this is impossible...

I'm enjoying some aspects of Starfield, but my criticisms are many. It's a good foundation though and I imagine it'll get better with updates and mods once those migrate to console. But the space flight mechanics are overwhelmingly disappointing, and after playing such a great space flight game recently this has me putting it on hold for now.

Instead, way way too late, I started Red Dead 2. I've been missing out. Finished chapter one tonight and it's excellent so far.

I also grabbed Injustice 2 for a couple bucks in the current sale. And I downloaded that Pinocchio game which also seems very promising from the small bit I played. Very challenging and I like that.

I'm enjoying some aspects of Starfield, but my criticisms are many. It's a good foundation though and I imagine it'll get better with updates and mods once those migrate to console. But the space flight mechanics are overwhelmingly disappointing, and after playing such a great space flight game recently this has me putting it on hold for now.

Instead, way way too late, I started Red Dead 2. I've been missing out. Finished chapter one tonight and it's excellent so far.

I also grabbed Injustice 2 for a couple bucks in the current sale. And I downloaded that Pinocchio game which also seems very promising from the small bit I played. Very challenging and I like that.
I just played RDR2 this summer. Never too late! Fantastic game.

I recently finished Kirby and the Forgotten Land on Switch a few days ago and it's a solid game. At first, it felt way, way too easy. Then it slowly but also suddenly got much more difficult. The later game boss battles were extremely tough and if you didn't have the right ability it would be impossible. Kind of reminded me Souls or Hollow Knight type bosses where you can't just relentlessly attack and need to plan/avoid contact. Mini levels that showcased each ability and subsequent upgrade were almost impossible to beat at the goal time other than just passing the level. You basically had to be perfect to beat each one every time. Overall it was way harder than it needed to be however because I was playing on the harder difficulty since there was only two difficulty levels. One was very casual and the other was called "Wild Mode" which is harder. If there was a "normal mode" in between I think it'd have been better, although it was a fun challenge in the WIld Mode. Another great thing about it was a bonus area at the end of the game. When you defeat the final boss there was another area left to be cleared which added about 3-4 hours of play onto the end of the game. All-in-all I spent about 25 hours playing it which is much more than expected.

I plan on asking for this and either 3d Worlds or Mario Wonder for Christmas from the folks. And I haven't asked for videogames since HS (because I typically just wait for price drops) but that's what Nintendo's refusal to lower prices does to a man 😝

Last edited:
Ya'll see that the videogame community has discovered Topsters and is using it to show off their favorite games the way we do end of the year lists?

Norco wound up being fucking excellent. I think I mentioned that but in case I didn't...

Currently juggling Earthbound, Wolfenstein: New Order, Katana 0 and Horizon Forbidden West.

Getting pretty close on Earthbound and think it may finish as an all-time favorite despite my pickiness with JRPGs. Katano Zero is also an absolute banger. Graphics ooze style, soundtrack absolutely bops and the Ninja Gaiden with slow-mo meets Super Meatboy level design kicks ass.

Mixed feelings on Forbidden West at about 20 hours in. Primarly because the 1st game set the bar so high. It's still a ton of fun and most of the side activities (ruins, cauldrons, ext) are way better than in your typical open world (I'm looking at you Ghosts of Tsushima).

However, the mechanics aren't as crisp as in the first game. Which sucks because that's what made Zero Dawn such an addicting loop. And the combat feels less balanced too... though that is starting to correct as I level up. Story seems interesting in its early stages but also can't match the mystery of the 1st game and the writing feels less nuanced.

Lastly, this is like 10 years too late at this point, but Wolfenstein is an imperfect FPS that's simultaneously a lot of fun and has a better story and cinematorgraphy than it has any right to.

Like @Mather says the value of Gamepass vs PS+ is not comparable for the cost. Sony excluding first party titles at release really hurts their positioning.

Personally I’ve used PS+ for the cloud save function, but can’t justify it at the upcoming pricing. Pretty disappointing to seem them not learn from mistakes of the PS3 era, and throwing away the good will they’ve earned.

This whole price increase thing seems to be plaguing the streaming/subscription industry as a whole. Disney is raising the price of their products and I am sitting weighing the price vs value. Feels like consumers are screwed left and right.

I've already voiced my opinion that the Sony price increase is outrageous.

However, the reason Sony can't include 1st party titles is specifically because they aren't Microsoft. Their film division has been hit or miss for years, electronics have gone down like 80% in price since the 80's. Video games are their main money maker and according to leaked documents their hyper polished 1st party titles are costing them 200-300m a pop.

Meanwile Microsoft is making $$$ left and right and doesn't blink at the idea of tossing a half a billion to the wind. They are attempting to emulate the Netflix model where there lose massive ammounts of $$$ via streaming in the short term but gain a market share that become permanent in the process. While creating a model (and expectations) nobody else can afford to emulate.

Netflix got away with it because they were ahead of the curve and had a shit ton of investors taking advatage of low interest rates. Now Disney is fucked (not that I care). And if Disney is fucked think about the implications for the other studios (on of which is Sony).

Meanwhile, Microsoft can get away with ut brcause they are Microsoft. And while it will probably be good for consumers in the short term, it will probably be bad for the art form in the long term. Just like Netflix is.

But again, Sony's move is shortsided as fuck. Cause all it's gonna do is drive consumers to Game Pass.

I plan on asking for this and either 3d Worlds or Mario Wonder for Christmas from the folks. And I haven't asked for videogames since HS (because I typically just wait for price drops) but that's what Nintendo's refusal to lower prices does to a man 😝
This is what I've done the past couple of years lol. My mom likes to be a creative gift giver but she also will just buy some things from my Amazon wishlist. Also I'm in my 30s I've been buying what I want for a while now, so I don't know what to tell people to get me for birthday/xmas when they ask. I recieved Kirby, 3D All-Stars, Luigi's Mansion 3, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze (which I still need to play) all in the past 3-4 years.

I recently completed playing Super Mario Galaxy via 3D All Stars for the first time a couple of days ago. I played it on the Wii when I was younger but I don't think I actually finished it. I remembered a few levels in my replay and I must have gotten far in the game because the end worlds were familar, but I never beat Bowser. This time, I got all 120 Stars. I thought there was supposed to be an end level to get 121 Stars, but I saw that you need to beat the entire game a second time with Luigi.... F that. The end game levels collecting the Purple coins were extremely difficult. You have to be so precise and there's barely enough time or zero room for error on many of them. Overall a really excellent game. There really hasn't been a platformer out there similar with the physics that it introduced, other than Super Mario Galaxy 2, which I hope comes to switch one day since I've never played it for Wii.

I recently completed playing Super Mario Galaxy via 3D All Stars for the first time a couple of days ago. I played it on the Wii when I was younger but I don't think I actually finished it. I remembered a few levels in my replay and I must have gotten far in the game because the end worlds were familar, but I never beat Bowser. This time, I got all 120 Stars. I thought there was supposed to be an end level to get 121 Stars, but I saw that you need to beat the entire game a second time with Luigi.... F that. The end game levels collecting the Purple coins were extremely difficult. You have to be so precise and there's barely enough time or zero room for error on many of them. Overall a really excellent game. There really hasn't been a platformer out there similar with the physics that it introduced, other than Super Mario Galaxy 2, which I hope comes to switch one day since I've never played it for Wii.
SMG2 is extremely underrated and it's a shame they didn't port it/pretend it doesn't exist. It's basically a refinement/extension of everything SMG did great.

I finally opened my copy of Super Mario 3D World, popped it in, played the first level, and was immediately reminded that I had stopped like two worlds into Kirby and the Forgotten Land. So I quit and started playing that instead.

Kirby is about as good a transition to 3D as you could ever ask. What a delight.

This is what I've done the past couple of years lol. My mom likes to be a creative gift giver but she also will just buy some things from my Amazon wishlist. Also I'm in my 30s I've been buying what I want for a while now, so I don't know what to tell people to get me for birthday/xmas when they ask. I recieved Kirby, 3D All-Stars, Luigi's Mansion 3, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze (which I still need to play) all in the past 3-4 years.

Do you think there’s an age limit where your folks shouldn’t buy you anything?

Asking for a friend.

Do you think there’s an age limit where your folks shouldn’t buy you anything?

Asking for a friend.

Depends on if they're living just on Social Security or if they have a retirement fund. If they have the latter then probably like 80? Maybe only 65 otherwise.
I think it depends on the family dynamics. Some familes don't really do the gift giving. My family always has, and probably will forever. When I was younger I got more gifts for my birthday than I do now, but I still get stuff every year, my older sister still does too.

6b5951a03478131c2a9b24e2a297b2fc.jpg

Back