Everything Video Games!

I stopped collecting vinyl roughly a year and a half ago when a chunk of my 300+ album collection was warped by a heat wave. I need out of this apartment before I resume.

That said, this pandemic has gotten me hooked on buying retro video games again. I might need rehab.

In the past week I have:
Sold my N64 + games and Dreamcast + games for a pretty penny.
Purchased a Gamecube + the pricey add on that modernizes it for current TVs
Had my Super Nintendo repaired
Purchased composite cables for my Wii
Snagged a new PS3 controller

Purchased via Ebay or Amazon:
Kirty's Return to Dreamland, Punch Out and House of the Dead for the Wii
Simpsons Hit and Run, NHL Hitz 2003 and Warioware Inc. for the Gamecube

Oh and... a cautionary tale in appeasing your parents:

Last winter my mom forced me to clean out my childhood closet. Among the things I gave to Goodwill without thinking about it were the handful of GameCube games I hand't brought to LA with me- including a copy of the OG Animal Crossing.

Since I’m enjoying the new version of Animal Crossing so much and now have a Gamecube up and running, I decided to see how much re-obtaining the old one would cost... and promptly realized that copy of Animal Crossing I gave away was worth almost $100.

Last edited:
What is this add-on? I'm replaying Wind Waker now and would love if it looked better.

Never played 2003 but Hitz 2002 was the only game I bought on launch day. Definitely the most fun hockey game I ever played.
Oh my god, my friends and I got together one night and created each other in the game and played a full playoffs with our team and lost in overtime in game seven against Detroit. It took like six hours to play the whole thing, we STILL talk about how devastating that loss was. That game rules.

Is that like a hockey equivalent of Blitz? Loved playing Blitz.
Yes, exactly. 3-on-3, very cartoonish, knight and snowman heads, etc. But the engine is actually a ton of fun and way more immersive than any EA NHL game I've ever played, including '20. Definitely gonna dig out my old team of Lancelot, the gladiator, and Joe Sakic and play this weekend.

Yes, exactly. 3-on-3, very cartoonish, knight and snowman heads, etc. But the engine is actually a ton of fun and way more immersive than any EA NHL game I've ever played, including '20. Definitely gonna dig out my old team of Lancelot, the gladiator, and Joe Sakic and play this weekend.
My team was the Halifax Storm and dammit if the game didn't have available player faces that looked almost exactly like myself and my two other friends. The scoring replays of our tic tac toe goals were just the best...

Last edited:
Awesome, maybe I should pick one up for my PS2. Anyone know if there is a way to make that look better on modern tvs like the GameCube?

i am pretty excited for final fantasy vii remake coming out tomorrow!!!!

only thing is i never finished the original, with that in mind, should i still play the remake tmw or actually finish my run on the original version first??

i am pretty excited for final fantasy vii remake coming out tomorrow!!!!

only thing is i never finished the original, with that in mind, should i still play the remake tmw or actually finish my run on the original version first??
I believe the remake is part 1 of 3? Maybe. You could always play this one, then go back and finish the original while we wait for the other parts to release.

I believe the remake is part 1 of 3? Maybe. You could always play this one, then go back and finish the original while we wait for the other parts to release.

yeah, that's what i was thinking too. only thing is it'll be really jarring going back to those PS1 graphics if i go remake first. but i guess i can get over it pretty quickly

yeah, that's what i was thinking too. only thing is it'll be really jarring going back to those PS1 graphics if i go remake first. but i guess i can get over it pretty quickly
The funny thing about ffvii, and ffix, not sure about ffviii, is that a lot of the pre rendered backgrounds look wonderful and have aged well, but those bright solid color polygon models on top of them are super jarring!

Does anyone on here do the retro emulation thing? I've dabbled with MAME and other things in the past, but I fancy giving it a proper go at some point. Don't think my MacBook is the best thing to start on, but I've got Retroarch downloaded anyway...

Does anyone on here do the retro emulation thing? I've dabbled with MAME and other things in the past, but I fancy giving it a proper go at some point. Don't think my MacBook is the best thing to start on, but I've got Retroarch downloaded anyway...
My friend and I made these a couple years back: Guidemaster: One-upping the NES Classic Edition with the Raspberry Pi 3 and RetroPie. To be honest I don't use mine much, but he does, and it's a ton of fun to go back and play Super Mario World and stuff.

My roommate does. I actually downloaded Dolphin a couple nights ago so that I could rest out certain GameCube games and how they’ve aged b4 paying the prices some of them are going for. Plus I wanted to try Chibi Robo.

I was able to hook up my PS4 controller via a program that tricked my PC into thinking it was an Xbox controller

My roommate does. I actually downloaded Dolphin a couple nights ago so that I could rest out certain GameCube games and how they’ve aged b4 paying the prices some of them are going for. Plus I wanted to try Chibi Robo.

I was able to hook up my PS4 controller via a program that tricked my PC into thinking it was an Xbox controller
Think the Mac will be able to handle MAME and the rest of the old stuff dead easily, but stuff like Dolphin might struggle.

I finished my True Vault Hunter Mode play-through of Borderlands 3. Taking a break for now. Decided to finally play that new Final Fantasy... Wait, what do you mean XV's not the newest one?

But yeah, I had started XV back in 2018 but never finished it. Not sure why I didn't finish it, but this time will be different!

I'm jealous of everyone that gets to play FFVII Remake, I'd get it but we're trying not to spend money at the moment.

Back