Everything Video Games!

SO! I need y'all's help.

I don't know much about the new video game systems, still rocking a Gameboy Advance SP.
Found somebody who is willing to sell me Switch for $160, it has the black controllers, not the colorful ones. It also doesn't come with the docking station to connect to the tv.
To me,$160 seems like a good deal since it comes with Zelda Breath of the Wind and Mario Kart 8. I would need to get a docking station...

BUT, I don't know if this is an older model or if it will support new and future games...

What do y'all think?

That’s a damn good deal imo. Nintendo never drops the price on its games so they are worth 110 alone.

SO! I need y'all's help.

I don't know much about the new video game systems, still rocking a Gameboy Advance SP.
Found somebody who is willing to sell me Switch for $160, it has the black controllers, not the colorful ones. It also doesn't come with the docking station to connect to the tv.
To me,$160 seems like a good deal since it comes with Zelda Breath of the Wind and Mario Kart 8. I would need to get a docking station...

BUT, I don't know if this is an older model or if it will support new and future games...

What do y'all think?

That's a great deal. You can get an Insignia dock kit from Best Buy for $50 and it works perfectly.

I'm still rocking a launch unit. The newer revisions have better battery life, but that's all you're missing out on.

Last edited:
When you say comes with BotW and Mario Kart, do you mean cartridges? If they are digital, then they will still be associated with the original owner's account and be unusable to you if they remove their account from the system.

I don't think you'll have any compatibility issues with games. The only real difference between the old/new models is slightly upgraded performance/battery capability, but we have the old and it works just fine for our purposes.

$160 is a pretty darn good deal if it does include 2 flagship games. You can get a used docking station for $30 on ebay or $24 on Toy Wiz (according to Google Shopping) it seems, which would still put you under the cost of a Switch Lite without games (which does have certain limitations compared to even the older Switch model).
If by cartridges you mean the little sd lookin cards, then yes.

Thanks, @kvetcha @DownIsTheNewUp and @EvanBenner! Looks like i'll be getting the Switch

hmmmm, octopath traveler is 50% off on the switch eshop rn, :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

looks like a good deal, but im tryin to stay prudent with my money rn, so idk whether to get it right now

hmmmm, octopath traveler is 50% off on the switch eshop rn, :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

looks like a good deal, but im tryin to stay prudent with my money rn, so idk whether to get it right now

I’m on the same boat. Not long ago I bought a bunch of Final Fantasy tales on sale but I haven’t played any of them yet. It seems irresponsible to buy another long JRPG at this point.

I’m on the same boat. Not long ago I bought a bunch of Final Fantasy tales on sale but I haven’t played any of them yet. It seems irresponsible to buy another long JRPG at this point.
From what I've heard, it doesn't sound as good as the 16-bit classics it's emulating. If you haven't played the classic FF games, definitely go for those first!

Can't speak from personal experience with Octopath though.

Thinking of selling my N64 (probably as a package) if anyone is interested. It’s the graphically upgraded (expansion pack) version. 4 controllers.

Games:
Goldeneye
Zelda: Majora’s Mask
Zelda: OOT
Donkey Kong 64
Smash Brothers
WWF No Mercy
Mario Party
Star Fox
South Park: Chefs Love Shack
NFL Blitz
Crusin’ USA
Rush 2
Mario 64

I also have Conkers Bad Fur Day and Worms Armageddon but they are worth a stupid amount of money (which is what spawned the whole... maybe I should sell thing).

Thinking of selling my N64 (probably as a package) if anyone is interested. It’s the graphically upgraded (expansion pack) version. 4 controllers.

Games:
Goldeneye
Zelda: Majora’s Mask
Zelda: OOT
Donkey Kong 64
Smash Brothers
WWF No Mercy
Mario Party
Star Fox
South Park: Chefs Love Shack
NFL Blitz
Crusin’ USA
Rush 2
Mario 64

I also have Conkers Bad Fur Day and Worms Armageddon but they are worth a stupid amount of money (which is what spawned the whole... maybe I should sell thing).
Strong potential interest in this.

Took a few days off from work last week, made good progress on some games!

Couple of the elusive achievements complete in Binding of Isaac - less than 90 to go! I'm pretty sure I'm never going to get the ones related to The Keeper, but other than that they're mostly doable.

Finished Psychonauts. I know this one is beloved, and it's one I should love with complete bias (platformers are life), but I hit a few sour spots that really made the experience less than ideal. I was initially going to 100% the game, but the Figments are super annoying to collect. Some of them flash by quickly, or are so obscured the only way to find them is by accident, or looking them up - looking at you Figment hidden in smoke on the Napoleon level! Also, without spoiling too much, the "protection" portion of the last level is super annoying, and the other reason I decided to stop collecting the Figments. The other one that rubbed me the wrong way was the spy level. The Clairvoyance part with the crow was explained, I'm sure, but the dialog box went away super quick, so I couldn't read it. Ended up having to look it up. Other than that the game was enjoyable and as quirky as I expected. On that note, anyone play the VR game? I dug the story and want to see what happens next.

I also finished Borderlands 3 - twice! I finished both my solo playthrough, and the co-op playthrough I was doing with my wife. The big twist was a bit predictable, but I'd be lying if I didn't get a little choked up during the ending. Also been blasting my way through True Vault Hunter Mode, being able to skip through all the collecting and such. Playing the whole game with everything being high level adds a different challenge, especially going solo - Torque would be happy, due to all the EXPLOSIONS!!! Going to be picking up the DLC's in the near future, really looking forward to the Hammerlock/Jakobs wedding especially.

I picked up Greedfall since it was on sale and I should be having two weeks off coming up.

I also finished Borderlands 3 - twice! I finished both my solo playthrough, and the co-op playthrough I was doing with my wife. The big twist was a bit predictable, but I'd be lying if I didn't get a little choked up during the ending. Also been blasting my way through True Vault Hunter Mode, being able to skip through all the collecting and such. Playing the whole game with everything being high level adds a different challenge, especially going solo - Torque would be happy, due to all the EXPLOSIONS!!! Going to be picking up the DLC's in the near future, really looking forward to the Hammerlock/Jakobs wedding especially.

I have not heard good things about this one, and after watching a couple friends play through the PreSequel (which was GOD AWFUL) I'm on the fence about 3. Is it a good game?

Took a few days off from work last week, made good progress on some games!

Couple of the elusive achievements complete in Binding of Isaac - less than 90 to go! I'm pretty sure I'm never going to get the ones related to The Keeper, but other than that they're mostly doable.

Finished Psychonauts. I know this one is beloved, and it's one I should love with complete bias (platformers are life), but I hit a few sour spots that really made the experience less than ideal. I was initially going to 100% the game, but the Figments are super annoying to collect. Some of them flash by quickly, or are so obscured the only way to find them is by accident, or looking them up - looking at you Figment hidden in smoke on the Napoleon level! Also, without spoiling too much, the "protection" portion of the last level is super annoying, and the other reason I decided to stop collecting the Figments. The other one that rubbed me the wrong way was the spy level. The Clairvoyance part with the crow was explained, I'm sure, but the dialog box went away super quick, so I couldn't read it. Ended up having to look it up. Other than that the game was enjoyable and as quirky as I expected. On that note, anyone play the VR game? I dug the story and want to see what happens next.

Which version of Psychonauts were you playing?

Whoops, didn't finish my thoughts. Also played some Beat Saber to get a little exercise. The newest free track pack they added (forget what it's called) is fucking brutal! It's the one with the hyper rave-y DDR reminiscent tracks. I went from fumbling my way through expert to having to do them on normal to pass any of the songs. Also tried out Doom VFR. Hurt Me Plenty difficulty was a BIG mistake. I was having issues with the teleport button sticking, so I only played a little bit. Needless to say once I got through the tutorial I started getting my butt whooped. Still not used to VR movement, I'm guessing it gets easier with practice.

Nintendo has big plans for Super Mario Bros.’ 35th anniversary | VGC

"As part of its anniversary celebrations, Nintendo will reveal plans to re-release most of Super Mario’s 35-year back catalogue this year, remastered for Nintendo Switch, VGC was told.

As VGC’s network partner Eurogamer reported in a follow-up to our story, these remasters will include 1997’s Super Mario 64, 2002’s Super Mario Sunshine and 2007’s Super Mario Galaxy.

Nintendo will also release several other Mario titles in 2020, including a new instalment in the Paper Mario series and a Deluxe version of 2013’s Super Mario 3D World."

"As part of its anniversary celebrations, Nintendo will reveal plans to re-release most of Super Mario’s 35-year back catalogue this year, remastered for Nintendo Switch, VGC was told.

As VGC’s network partner Eurogamer reported in a follow-up to our story, these remasters will include 1997’s Super Mario 64, 2002’s Super Mario Sunshine and 2007’s Super Mario Galaxy.

Nintendo will also release several other Mario titles in 2020, including a new instalment in the Paper Mario series and a Deluxe version of 2013’s Super Mario 3D World."
Took too damn long for a Sunshine remaster, thank god

Super Mario All-Stars 2? I'm down.

I picked up Greedfall since it was on sale and I should be having two weeks off coming up.

I have not heard good things about this one, and after watching a couple friends play through the PreSequel (which was GOD AWFUL) I'm on the fence about 3. Is it a good game?

I like it, though for me 2 is still the gold standard. The story is not as good as 2, but does some fun stuff and adds plenty of new and expanded lore. It plays well, though it feels different than the other entries a little bit. I think that's due to a newer engine. I'm pretty easy to please though, so with these kinds of games it does what I want the most: lots of shooting, lots of loot.

Also, FWIW, I like all of the games, but PreSequel is the worst overall. It does do some things a bit differently, and I really liked the moon physics and oxygen system, as well as some of the odd quirky comedy. It was written by a team in New Zealand if I recall, so some jokes don't translate well to other reigions. At the end of the day though, it plays fine and fills that shooty looty void, and has a great ending if you're willing to stick it out.

That being said, I'd rank the games as such:

PreSequel

Which version of Psychonauts were you playing?

I was playing the Steam version.

I hooked up my GameCube last night and played Sunshine for about an hour. Such a trip to play it again but it's such a blast.

From what I've heard, it doesn't sound as good as the 16-bit classics it's emulating. If you haven't played the classic FF games, definitely go for those first!

Can't speak from personal experience with Octopath though.

Oh, I’ve played thousands of hours of Final Fantast games already.

My favorites are IX, Tactics, VI, and IV.

I’ve also played almost 200 hours of XII and (during one sad, long winter/spring) about 500 hours of XI (their first crack at a MMORPG).

And yeah I also beat VII back in the day. I should probably replay it now I have it on the Switch, and then move forward chronologically...

(...but first I must finish this boring Luigi’s Mansion game.)

Oh, I’ve played thousands of hours of Final Fantast games already.

My favorites are IX, Tactics, VI, and IV.

I’ve also played almost 200 hours of XII and (during one sad, long winter/spring) about 500 hours of XI (their first crack at a MMORPG).

And yeah I also beat VII back in the day. I should probably replay it now I have it on the Switch, and then move forward chronologically...

(...but first I must finish this boring Luigi’s Mansion game.)
Awesome, guess I misunderstood your post. I replayed VII last year on PS4, which I definitely have a soft spot for, since it was my introduction to the series, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a lot easier than I remembered it being!

Awesome, guess I misunderstood your post. I replayed VII last year on PS4, which I definitely have a soft spot for, since it was my introduction to the series, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a lot easier than I remembered it being!

Yeah, VII was also my first FF but the contrarian in me never embraced it as a favorite. I think I like IX better because the graphics are somewhat superior and the soundtrack is just superb. Oddly I’ve only played it on iOS (three full playthroughs!), which is why I bought it again on the Switch. If you liked VII, I would definitely recommend IX.

I should try VII again because I never did a completionist run. Never beat Ruby or Emerald weapon, etc. I hope it will feel easier than it did 20 years ago!

Back