Everything Video Games!

Quick Isaac update for anyone interested. Hit a wall with Tainted Lazarus. Just need to beat Hush and Delirium, but this might be my least favorite character. You basically play as 2 characters that swap every time you clear a room, or use the rechargable Swap item. Item rooms and angel/devil deals give 2 items on each pedestal, but have to use swap to get both. Boss rooms give one item. So you typically end up with 2 mediocre to OK builds with low health, or 2 builds with lots of health but sucky stats everywhere else. Since you have to manage when to use swaps, runs tend to have lots of backtracking and thus take forever, making the 30 minute Hush deadline tough to get to while also having a build that might survive. Once I get these two I'll have all the completion marks for the tainted characters with the exception of beating Greedier with each.

Beat my first playthrough of Bloodborne this weekend. Fantastic game, looking forward to the extra madness of the New Game + playthrough.

Went with a strength build, which I later learned is not an advantage in this game. Speed/dex is much more your friend. Ended up using the Kirkhammer primarily, and the Tonitrus. Tried some others as well, but I really liked the stabbing heavy of the sword portion of the Kirkhammer. Lots of stagger ability and good damage. The Tonitrus did typically do more damage when charged, but harder to manage and the durability sucks on it. Fun to run around zap bonking beasts though! I did the run with only looking up the very minimum. Looked up how to get to Cainhurst - I walked right past the trigger without it triggering. Also couldn't figure out where to go near the end - I went the optional route during the Lecture Building and didn't realize there was an identical door on the other floor. Found a good guide that gave some vague hints on what to do in each area, but it only makes sense if you've already been. Overall, game was fairly easy compared to other entries, but the bosses were still pretty fun. Except for Micolash, that guy's a little asshole. Not a hard fight, just very time consuming, especially if you lose to his magic spamming ways. The boss I struggled with most was Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos. Hits like a plane filled with trucks even with good armor and at the soft cap for health. Struggled with properly dodging her attacks too, there's these weird delays that messed with me. Everything else wasn't too bad.

Forgot to buy the DLC before beating the game, so I'll do that in New Game +. Should be a good challenge. I felt like I missed a lot of the secrets and NPC quests, turns out I really only missed a small amount. Made the right call on which of the 2 locations was the "good" one, and saw right through the bad npc. Accidentally did the NPC that does the opposite of what you tell him correctly. I honestly just wanted him to go away so I chose the clinic. Did Eileen, the young girl, and Alfred's quests properly. Did Patches as well, though out of order. Funny enough, I broke it in a way where he showed up where he's supposed to betray you, but the cutscene never triggered, he just sits there and stares at you. A well placed rock finished that piece up.

Barely missed the ending where you need 3 umbilical cords. I did find the Workshop tied to the dream, and got the other cord from Mergo's Wet Nurse. Didn't realize the other two were right under my nose. Went to Iosefka's Clinic after the pale moon, so all I would have had to do was kill her. Thought there would be more to her quest, so I didn't. Also did Arianna's quest correctly, but didn't know where she went after she leaves the Church, and didn't want to re-explore the whole area again - I had already done that twice with Eileen's quest. So I fought Gehrman and got the ending where you become the new Gehrman.

TOTK continues to amaze me and simultaneously KICK MY ASS.

I felt like a homeless person for the first 10 hours of this game wearing only a torn shirt and skirt and fighting with sticks and rocks. Getting one-hit killed by low level goblins. And having like 10 rupees to my name.

Now that I have about 40-50 shrines under me and started realizing that "oh shit these high level enemies drop some decent weapon mods", it's started to dawn on me why this game is so addictive. It's just the perfect balance of explore when and how you want, but then it will force you into encounters out of sheer necessity. Like I need a good hammer to go mine some gems to buy this armor to go through this cold/hot area. So I guess I'll fight this Talus or Hinox and get some skrill while I'm at it.

One of the things I am annoyed by is constantly sifting through things to either throw or attach to arrows in the heat of battle. Kind of kills the flow and breaks the tension having to wade through inventory lines of herbs and apples just to find a decent mod. And yes, I do know you can sort the inventory, but it just never seems to be in the order I need right then.

The sky islands also fucking rule and the music gets under my skin in such a good way.

10/10
I spend my days doing nothing but forcing myself to not replay this game. And BOTW, but I've already played that one like five times. The last run I did was with no fast travel which was super fun, and I intended on doing that with ToTK but I don't think it's actually possible in that game lmfao

I spend my days doing nothing but forcing myself to not replay this game. And BOTW, but I've already played that one like five times. The last run I did was with no fast travel which was super fun, and I intended on doing that with ToTK but I don't think it's actually possible in that game lmfao
That reminds me that I never went back to Robbie to get my fast travel medallion...

My experience has now been vastly different from the first dozen hours. Now I can fight and craft and have some sort of idea on what the game wants me to do. I even stumbled into the Floating Colosseum in the depths and made it through 3/5 Lynels before I had to "blue spaghetti" my way out of there. I probably could have made it through the fourth and fifth if they had given me two seconds to cook something...

The depths still absolutely terrify me though. The dark is so claustrophobia inducing.

I dropped Tears of the Kingdom a week or two after launch but came back to it a couple of months ago and have started making earnest progress exploring the Depths and moving the story along. Really enjoying myself.

@folsom_lives the Depths are terrifying at first, but as you get stronger and figure out how to approach it it becomes more of an adventure mapping the place out.

I dropped Tears of the Kingdom a week or two after launch but came back to it a couple of months ago and have started making earnest progress exploring the Depths and moving the story along. Really enjoying myself.

@folsom_lives the Depths are terrifying at first, but as you get stronger and figure out how to approach it it becomes more of an adventure mapping the place out.
Yeah, once I figured out that the light roots mirrored the shrines and they illuminate ton of land, I started looking for them more.

Lynels are still super overpowered. Even when I learn their move set I still find myself being absolutely punished by dodging the wrong direction or getting greedy to try and take one more hit.

The three-headed dragon though... I have a feeling those will take some work. The first one I tried drained all 15 of my hearts in one hit. Never stood a chance. And the Gloom Hands can get f***ed.

Yeah, once I figured out that the light roots mirrored the shrines and they illuminate ton of land, I started looking for them more.

Lynels are still super overpowered. Even when I learn their move set I still find myself being absolutely punished by dodging the wrong direction or getting greedy to try and take one more hit.

The three-headed dragon though... I have a feeling those will take some work. The first one I tried drained all 15 of my hearts in one hit. Never stood a chance. And the Gloom Hands can get f***ed.
Gloom Hands are susceptible to fire. Make of that what you will.

They absolutely scared the bejeezus out of me early on, though, when I had only a few hearts.

I haven't yet attempted to fight a Gleeok, but I gather that getting vertical and using bullet-time arrow mode is pretty vital.

Even at the end of the game I was still terrified of Gloom Hands. FUCK THOSE THINGS.

TOTK is great because there's a lot of enemies that give you an old fashioned fright or overwhelming "shit, how the heck do I fight that thing!?" I used to never finish games when I was younger (<10 years old) because I was afraid of enemies and couldn't get past sections. Many old PS1/PS2, Nintendo games were like that. If you couldn't beat it, you couldn't progress. I'm guilty of liking games that hand hold you but sometimes there's too much nowadays. TOTK is a good balance of Figure it out Yourself/Git Gud without being completely lost or needing to run to look it up online because you get completely stuck.

Couple of the bomb fruits or thrown sapphires make quick work of the Gloom Hands. Bomb arrows too I suppose. The master sword obviously also does great damage.

Still haven’t learned the Gleeok secret save for the homing eyes once it is airborne.

Couple of the bomb fruits or thrown sapphires make quick work of the Gloom Hands. Bomb arrows too I suppose. The master sword obviously also does great damage.

Still haven’t learned the Gleeok secret save for the homing eyes once it is airborne.
Ice arrows + bomb arrows back and forth absolutely merc the gloom hands.

What's the deal with Final Fantasy XIV: Dawntrail being listed as a pre-order for this summer for the PS4 and PS5

Are they remaking this game like they did with VII?

Fought my first Gleeok and I just freaking fled for cover and then popped out to blast the three heads with homing arrows.

I've enjoyed the little I've played of FFXVI! Love the action oriented aspect of it. Getting back into Baldur's Gate 3 as well, and easing through Act 2. Wondering if I should pick up the FF7 Remake while it's on sale too. Not enough time in my days to keep up.

Back