Everything Video Games!

All right, here's the rest of my Direct thoughts:
NEW MARIO STRIKERS!!!
New Kirby looking real promising.
Live A Live coming to the US is exciting. I had a rom of this one as a kid, but since it was in Japanese I couldn't figure it out. Looks very interesting.
Surprised it's been this long since a Wii Sports style game.
Triangle Strategy is still a dumb name, but I'm also looking forward to it.
Earthbound is a huge add for Switch Online. Wondering what Earthbound Beginnings is, looks like a NES version of the game.
Mario Kart tracks adding some needed value to the Switching Online Expansion Pass.
Never got into Xenoblade, so that last announcement didn't do much for me.
Boo, no botw2 news. I'm guessing there's going to be a mini direct for that hopefully soon.

All in all, I'm probably more hyped about this one than most, but still a little bummed about no Zelda updates.

Also looking forward to Triangle Strategy but I cannot believe they have not changed that name. I adored Octopath though, so I will definitely be giving this a shot!

SPLATOON 3!!!... is still without a date... but summer seemed about right given the upcoming Kirby launch.

Kirby is looking much better than the initial teaser they showed a year (years?) ago. That original early trailer looked like Pokemon Legends: Arceus does at present. Now Forgotten Land looking real dang cute.

I've been wanting to dip into Earthbound/Mother, so this is rather exciting. If it does well, I imagine they'll add #3 when NSO gets a GB Advance pack.

Hooray for MarioKart tracks being a part of expansion pass!

Screenshot_20220209-182659-01.jpeg

as much as Xenoblade 3 has been the very exact thing I have been wanting out of Nintendo for the last FOUR years, even I can agree that this direct was terrible lmao.

SPLATOON 3!!!... is still without a date...
yea, I laughed out loud at this part, this was so bizarre, I was expecting a whole dedicated segment for it; launch date, deluxe edition goodies, new amibo for it, but I guess they'll save that for a splatoon 3-only direct in the near future

Earthbound is a huge add for Switch Online. Wondering what Earthbound Beginnings is, looks like a NES version of the game.
WAIT WHAT

*googles feverishly*

EDIT: Ok I'm back and this is so exciting, Earthbound is my favorite SNES game...maybe my favorite video game just generally (my Animal Crossing island is even named Onett), and I never had a Wii U so I never got to play Earthbound Beginnings

AAAAHHHHHHH!!

2.jpg

Last edited:
Okay my immediate ridiculous theory is that the old buff guy with the eyepatch in the trailer is Dunban. I don’t know how or why, but it’s him.

might be him, but it could also be Zeke from Xenoblade 2, who could theoretically live to a longer lifespan due to spoiler reasons. this is great tho, because this trailer CONFIRMS characters from both games will be in this new entry, it's all connected

might be him, but it could also be Zeke from Xenoblade 2, who could theoretically live to a longer lifespan due to spoiler reasons. this is great tho, because this trailer CONFIRMS characters from both games will be in this new entry, it's all connected
I just rewatched it, I didn’t even realize how many pretty obvious connections there are! I watched the direct while I was driving home from work lmao

I adore Xenoblade, I can’t wait to play this!! I lost my mind at the ending of 2, which I won’t discuss too much here in case anyone hasn’t played yet :)

WAIT WHAT

*googles feverishly*

EDIT: Ok I'm back and this is so exciting, Earthbound is my favorite SNES game...maybe my favorite video game just generally (my Animal Crossing island is even named Onett), and I never had a Wii U so I never got to play Earthbound Beginnings

AAAAHHHHHHH!!

View attachment 128269
I googled it too (and just saw @Santi Chacin post), Earthbound Beginnings is Mother 1?!?!? I never had a Wii U either, didn't realize it got a US port. That's even more exciting. Here's hoping tons of people play this and Nintento gives us Mother 3!

I somehow have never played any of the Warriors series of games, but does the Switch need yet another one?

Solid Nintendo direct. There was little that was know about the entirety of this year , but I was surprised with how loaded this was.

Seems like there was something for everyone.

For me I’m excited about earthbound , portal, Mario kart dlc being “free” for online expansion, Mario strikers , and Metroid update.

I had a dream about F-Zero last night and thought about sharing it with y'all, but didn't want to jinx anything. Sigh....

That said, I'm surprisingly down for spending $25 and getting 30+ Mario Kart tracks, coming from a guy who owned a Wii U and Mario Kart 8 the first time around. Chrono Cross is exciting from the Square Enix side of things, especially if that means a FFT remaster, as well.

AND I'm super jazzed about the Triangle Strategy prologue. It was already on my list so having the early preview/prologue chapters will only serve to get me excited and hopefully others supporting this kind of story-thick tactics mishmash of a game.

I'm looking forward to Switch Sports and Kirby but not a lot else for me this direct.

I imagine JRPG fans are frothing rn.
Hah! I came here to post something like “WAS THIS THE BEST NINTENDO DIRECT EVER OR WHAT?!?” and was surprised to see that some folks were disappointed.

Anyway… I’m over the moon about the new Mario Strikers game. What better way to get hyped for the World Cup?

Also super stoked about having the Portal games on the Switch (I don’t think it’s controversial to say that Portal 2 is one of the best games ever).

And Xenoblade Chronicles 3… hell yes. I better hurry and buy/play through XC2.

As for the extra Mario Kart tracks, it sounds awesome but I’ll likely wait until more (or possibly all) tracks are out before deciding.

Other than that I’m curious about Triangle Strategy and also the Chrono Cross remaster. Probably won’t want to pay full price for either but they will sit pretty in my Wish List waiting for a discount deal. Same with Switch Sports, which looks worth $9.99 at best.

Back