Everything Video Games!

Some Chill Hop Metroid tunes.

0025827827_31.png

there’s nothing chill and relaxing about playing a metroid game /s

I finished The Artful Escape this weekend. Here's my official review.

A sensory overload space opera that wraps up just when you start to question if it's going to overstay its welcome.

The longer version: A simple story driven platformer, that is full of vivid imagery and great music. Simple mechanics make it easily accessible to anyone. Full of fun choices that don't change things story wise, other than a few bits of dialogue. Good voice acting with a varied cast of both known celebrities and talented up-and-comers. Carl Weathers. Fairly short story that almost starts to feel a bit repetitive, right before you wrap it all up. It took me probably 4-5 hours to complete, and a good portion of that was in the character creator, which has a ton of fun options and some of the best puns I've seen. Shred across the universe while the main character explores himself and what it means to be the nephew of a famous musician. Quite literally, this game is... an artful escape.

I've come to the grudging realization that holding onto my Xbox 360 on the off chance that friends I don't currently have might want to come over and play Rock Band 3 with me is pointless and it may be time to let it go. I keep getting the head nod from my wife towards to corner of our family room where the drum set and other instruments are gathering dust and the obligatory, "Can those go somewhere else?" Anyone else still sitting on theirs?

I've come to the grudging realization that holding onto my Xbox 360 on the off chance that friends I don't currently have might want to come over and play Rock Band 3 with me is pointless and it may be time to let it go. I keep getting the head nod from my wife towards to corner of our family room where the drum set and other instruments are gathering dust and the obligatory, "Can those go somewhere else?" Anyone else still sitting on theirs?
Yes, but I relented and put the drums and guitars in the basement. I kept the PS3 with the probably hundreds of songs I have for RB3 and also Singstar. I loved both of those games.

Last edited:
I was thinking about how game rentals went away and subscription models and digital content took over. I was pondering if digital game rentals could be a thing. Like, a kind of third party intermediary who has a special license to lease or even a direct from source like the Nintendo eShop. But then it occurred to me that games themselves are not as rentable at least within the time constraints we had then because not only they are drastically more involved, complicated, and unique but also they increasingly connect to the digital self which demands investments.

I was thinking about how game rentals went away and subscription models and digital content took over. I was pondering if digital game rentals could be a thing. Like, a kind of third party intermediary who has a special license to lease or even a direct from source like the Nintendo eShop. But then it occurred to me that games themselves are not as rentable at least within the time constraints we had then because not only they are drastically more involved, complicated, and unique but also they increasingly connect to the digital self which demands investments.
I’m very fortunate that my local library lends video games. I probably would’ve never purchased the Witcher 3 for my Switch if I hadn’t had the chance to sample it for a week… so I think there’s still value in renting games, even if you’re only going to scratch the surface.

This is kin of the model of game pass. Whenever I buy games physical, I usually trade it in when I finish anyway, so having an option to pay a pretty insubstantial amount for a bunch of old AND new stuff on Xbox has been great. Every now and then, I'll re-up for Gamefly too, and catch up on some stuff I don't really want to pay $60 for, and don't have another option.

Highly recommend Gamepass if you have Xbox or PC though. Depending on the promo, they'll give you 1-3 months for $1.

This is kin of the model of game pass. Whenever I buy games physical, I usually trade it in when I finish anyway, so having an option to pay a pretty insubstantial amount for a bunch of old AND new stuff on Xbox has been great. Every now and then, I'll re-up for Gamefly too, and catch up on some stuff I don't really want to pay $60 for, and don't have another option.

Highly recommend Gamepass if you have Xbox or PC though. Depending on the promo, they'll give you 1-3 months for $1.
Agreed on the Gamepas 👍

I remember I purposely bought my PS2 from Blockbuster because they had a promotion where you'd get free game rentals for a month. I was only like 10 at the time so I couldn't go to Blockbuster every week to rent games. I maybe rented 3 games in total and then gave up and had my parents buy me two games I liked best.

That seems like such a lousy deal nowadays that GamePass has changed everything

I’m disappointed it’s not master chief. I’m also disappointed that the Microsoft character we do have is Steve / Alex.

It’s fine. A MC amiibo would’ve been something tho …

At least I know who Sora is, he's not just another handsome guy or pair of boobs with a sword from Fire Emblem. Of all the Squenix crossovers he makes the most sense and fits the original feel of Smash Bros the most.

Waluigi better be the boss villain of the next Smash game, is all I have to say about it.

I don't hate this one.

Apparently the most requested character ever worldwide, so it tracks. Never been a big KH fan, but happy for everyone who wanted it. Good way to cap off the best Smash game.

i guess i gotta play this Kingdom Hearts shit, don’t I?
Not sure if it's worth starting from the beginning in 2021. Tried years ago and found very quickly it wasn't worth it. Feel like a lot of the people who love it nowadays played it as kids.

Agreed on the Gamepas 👍
Thirded. On top of what @ayayrawn mentioned, you can also stream the games through PC, Android, and more recently, iOS. Haven't tried on my iPad, but it works well on my laptop, and surprisingly even better on mobile. I was in the beta program for the Android streaming, and the fact that I could play Halo 5 mutiplayer with very little noticeable lag or framerate drops blew my mind. I'm guessing the smaller screen size is the key there, because while the PC version works well, it also has noticeable stuttering at times and lower resolution vs. installed. Some of the mobile versions have touch controls as well, though I don't know how anyone plays a precise platformer like Celeste with those. Dragon Quest XI works great that way though!

While the $15 a month for the Ultimate version is a great deal, I don't typically pay for mine. I use Microsoft rewards, and doing the simple daily tasks, along with the stuff in the rewards app on Xbox, typically earns me enough points to pay for the service.

Re-reading this, it totally sounds like an ad. MS should sponsor me to promote their product!

Apparently the most requested character ever worldwide, so it tracks. Never been a big KH fan, but happy for everyone who wanted it. Good way to cap off the best Smash game.

Not sure if it's worth starting from the beginning in 2021. Tried years ago and found very quickly it wasn't worth it. Feel like a lot of the people who love it nowadays played it as kids.

i always saw Kingdom Hearts as the video game series specially tailored to Disney kids who hadn’t quite abandoned their “Disney phase” past pre-puberty.

but i do admit i never played the series bc I never had the playstation consoles growing up. So im willing to give the series a try at least now. the smash presentation showed the stage and music, which i found all pretty cool. so i am intrigued now to say the least

i always saw Kingdom Hearts as the video game series specially tailored to Disney kids who hadn’t quite abandoned their “Disney phase” past pre-puberty.
yup.... I tried playing Kingdom Hearts 3 and after about 20 minutes and sitting through cut scenes for about 10 of those 20 minutes I couldn't do it.

1633458005953.png

I played parts of KH 1 and 2, and my overall impression was that I didn't know enough about Final Fantasy to understand the significance of several characters.

Back