Everything Video Games!

Quick game update as I continue down this spiraling madness of playing too many games at once.

Still playing Binding of Isaac regularly, been doing random character runs, can't seem to keep a streak going for long. Finally got the right conditions to break the hell out of the shop, and got the 50 items in a run achievement. This inspired me to try and go for some of the other missing achievements. After 10-15 failed attempts at Greedier mode, I remembered I hate Greedier mode and I'm never going to get those ones. Then I tried the Keeper, and remembered I hate playing as the keeper, thought it does seem like Greed/Greedier modes may be doable with his character, since you have a chance to get a heal every wave of enemies, and if you don't need to heal, that's one more coin for buyin' stuff.

Wanted to play a platformer, picked up Tohou Luna Nights off of Game Pass. No idea what the outside lore is around this thing, so the story bits were confusing as hell. That being said, the gameplay was super fun. It's a Castlevania inspired layout, with a time freeze element and some light puzzles around that mechanic. You throw knives, which cost MP, but you can also freeze time and ready knife throws, which consumes time intead of MP, so there's a duality of switching between each. There's also a cool "graze" mechanic, in which getting close to enemies and dangerous objects will absorb health or MP based on the time state. Lots of fun, and took a little over 6 hours to 100%, and only required a small amount of looking things up online.

Still playing Dragon Quest and FFVIII. Opinions haven't changed here and no major updates.

Also occasionally hop on Smash to do a few WoL battles, and unlock a main game character. I'll get there some day! Same goes for Hades, I do a few runs here and there, need to get back into it more. Feel like I've hit a bit of a rut.

Finally, I'm nearing the end of Ghost of Tsushima. I'm in act 3, and have cleared about 60% of the map. Trying to figure out how to get up the mountain. Also I got a good idea how the story is going to end up, and I'm not looking forward to it. Won't go into the why because spoilers.

I think I figured out the leveling problem in FFVIII, and why it screwed me over so hard as a kid. I've been trying to slowly level while keeping things balanced. By contrast, when I first played it I just fought everything unless I was about to die, then I'd run. I'm currently in Disc 2, at the Fisherman's Horizon, and I've noticed a trend. Squall gets way more screen time than everyone else, no matter how you set up your teams. I used Zell and Selphie a lot early on, so their levels are closest to Squall, but still a couple levels lower. I currently have Squall, Rinoa and Zell, and the levels are 19, 14, and 16 respectively. I've avoided all non-boss combat since the team split in the story.. I think things open up more as I progress, so hopefully I can balance things out. That, or I'll just max everyone and it won't be an issue any more (except for fighting Omega).

I think I figured out the leveling problem in FFVIII, and why it screwed me over so hard as a kid. I've been trying to slowly level while keeping things balanced. By contrast, when I first played it I just fought everything unless I was about to die, then I'd run. I'm currently in Disc 2, at the Fisherman's Horizon, and I've noticed a trend. Squall gets way more screen time than everyone else, no matter how you set up your teams. I used Zell and Selphie a lot early on, so their levels are closest to Squall, but still a couple levels lower. I currently have Squall, Rinoa and Zell, and the levels are 19, 14, and 16 respectively. I've avoided all non-boss combat since the team split in the story.. I think things open up more as I progress, so hopefully I can balance things out. That, or I'll just max everyone and it won't be an issue any more (except for fighting Omega).
I thought I was the only one. First time I played FFVIII, I got stuck on Mobile Type 8 Boss because my team was severely underleveled. I ended up having to start near the beginning to play it correctly. Ever since, I always overlevel everyone when I play RPGs.

It looks super sparse, like pure wildlife exploration and pokemon catching. I'm honestly more excited for the diamond/pearl remake. Lots of people complain about pokemon games being repetitive, but that's fine: I seriously just want the core Gen 1/2/3 experience with a current-gen paint job.
I really hope they clean it up between now and release. The gameplay they show is like 10 FPS and the environments look pretty rough. It's a great idea and I'm glad they're attempting it, but I'm not sure I trust Gamefreak to pull it off.

Conversely, I'm glad they're using the chibi style for the Diamond/Pearl remakes. Sticking to what works where it counts.

I'm fine with the Pearl/Diamond remakes. At this point you know what you're getting which is a newer version of an old game. Sure, I'd love a true remake with Let's Go style graphics but traditional battle/catch mechanics and difficulty but that's not their jam.

Legends is the first big swing the franchise has done in eons - maybe since Wi-Fi battles, maybe since Red/Blue. I hope it works. This is also the first time in ages they've split production companies for games so I'm hopeful that this will work out. Honestly, I appreciate any time this franchise is willing to take any liberties with it. It's a very likely Day 1 purchase for me unless the reviews are true garbage.

Yeah I think what we're seeing in the open world is very early renderings. No way they will ship the game looking like that...at least I hope not. But an open world Pokemon game is what I've been dreaming of for like a decade, so I am extremely hyped.

I thought I was the only one. First time I played FFVIII, I got stuck on Mobile Type 8 Boss because my team was severely underleveled. I ended up having to start near the beginning to play it correctly. Ever since, I always overlevel everyone when I play RPGs.
I got stuck on Edea after you fight Cerberus. I only barely scraped by on Cerberus, and then Edea would kill everyone except Squall in like a turn or two.

I have a hard time believing this will only be released on Apple Arcade... but so far that's it's only platform. This if from Hironobu Sakaguchi Director/Producer of every Final Fantasy game up until X-2.

I have a hard time believing this will only be released on Apple Arcade... but so far that's it's only platform. This if from Hironobu Sakaguchi Director/Producer of every Final Fantasy game up until X-2.

Looks promising, and I agree, hopefully it comes to other platforms.

Checked out this Polygon article on it Final Fantasy creator’s new game has a cool diorama look and rethinks random encounters. Sounds like it's inspired by FF6, and Nobuo Uematsu composed the score!

Quick Binding of Isaac update. I was looking through the item list to see what I was missing for the 101%, 1001%, etc. achievements. Completed two of the harder achievements related to 101%. I did the two difficult Lamb related runs that I wasn't aware existed (I haven't looked into achievements much). One if for beating the Lamb in under 20 minutes. For reference, you unlock boss rush mode by beating Mom's foot in under 20 minutes, which can be hard enough as is. The Lamb is 4 floors down from that. I did that one with Azazel, got lucky and got Brimstone and several damage ups, so quick laser clears on each room. Didn't get any items to skip floors, and had 1:42 to spare. The other achievement was for beating the Lamb without taking coins, bombs, or health. I went with the Lost here to remove the chance of taking red hearts. That being said, it's SOOOO easy to accidentally grab bombs and coins. I had to basically make sure to clear rooms so that I wasn't near the middle when cleared, as items could spawn on to of you. Took around 20 or so attempts, most of those just restarts from accidentally grabbing something.

I'm still never going to get those greedier mode or Keeper achievements, but hey, all I need now is Super Bandage Girl for the OG completion.

I just finished the Last of Us on grounded+ difficulty to finish up the platinum trophy for the game. Wasn't as difficult as I thought it'd be minus a few parts. Most the game can be stealthed through. Easily one of the best games of the past couple generations. Now I'll be ready to take on the sequel at some point this year.

Back