Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Preamp question for you smart folks. Now that I'm running two turntables--one with an MC cartridge and one with a MM cartridge--I'm trying to understand what kind of preamp to go for. If I understand some stuff I've read on another forum, it sounds like my best move is to go with a MM preamp and then get a step up device. Is that what you'd do in this situation?

The preamp I want is available in either MM or MC. The MM configuration is cheaper and from those who've demoed both, they suggest this route, but would like to know what others here think.
i'd personally try to get a phono stage with 2 inputs that can do both. otherwise, pretty sure you're gonna have to unplug and replug stuff in every time you wanna listen to a different deck. is the idea that one table is mono and the other stereo or something?

Preamp question for you smart folks. Now that I'm running two turntables--one with an MC cartridge and one with a MM cartridge--I'm trying to understand what kind of preamp to go for. If I understand some stuff I've read on another forum, it sounds like my best move is to go with a MM preamp and then get a step up device. Is that what you'd do in this situation?

The preamp I want is available in either MM or MC. The MM configuration is cheaper and from those who've demoed both, they suggest this route, but would like to know what others here think.
Im drawing a blank right this second but there are some preamps that have both available do you would only need one preamp and no step up.

i'd personally try to get a phono stage with 2 inputs that can do both. otherwise, pretty sure you're gonna have to unplug and replug stuff in every time you wanna listen to a different deck. is the idea that one table is mono and the other stereo or something?
Eventually, yes. Currently one is for 33 and one is for 45. I like how easy that makes it since both tables are a pain to change.

I know there are, but I haven't found one that I'm really taken with. The preamp I want doesn't have that option.
which phono stage are you looking at? i think you're gonna have to change load settings and everything each time you swap decks...unless your carts are somehow an exact match with a SUT. don't know all the ones that offer it, but quite a few phono stages either have dials on front to easily change specs or have a remote to change the loading, etc.

a music hall cruise control or something may have been a better move if speed change was the main thing you were looking to make easier.

I know there are, but I haven't found one that I'm really taken with. The preamp I want doesn't have that option.

Eventually, yes. Currently one is for 33 and one is for 45. I like how easy that makes it since both tables are a pain to change.
Clearly the answer is two more tables and four phonostages.

which phono stage are you looking at? i think you're gonna have to change load settings and everything each time you swap decks...unless your carts are somehow an exact match with a SUT.

a music hall cruise control or something may have been a better move if speed change was the main thing you were looking to make easier.
The Graham Slee Accession is the one I'm leaning toward. I was finally able to demo one on my system and it blew me away.

which phono stage are you looking at? i think you're gonna have to change load settings and everything each time you swap decks...unless your carts are somehow an exact match with a SUT. don't know all the ones that offer it, but quite a few phono stages either have dials on front to easily change specs or have a remote to change the loading, etc.

And speed change wasn't the cause of my situation. It's just that I bought another turntable and didn't see any reason to not use both for the time being. I might decide to sell one, but I'm enjoying seeing how things sound on different carts and playing with both.

And speed change wasn't the cause of my situation. It's just that I bought another turntable and didn't see any reason to not use both for the time being. I might decide to sell one, but I'm enjoying seeing how things sound on different carts and playing with both.
i'd personally then wait to decide on if i'm selling the 2nd table before committing to buying a phono stage. you might be trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. i also like flexibility so would want a phono stage where I could do both MM and MC if I decided to switch carts. but i guess if the SUT could turn one into the other then maybe it's not as big a deal-breaker.

i'd personally then wait to decide on if i'm selling the 2nd table before committing to buying a phono stage. you might be trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. i also like flexibility so would want a phono stage where I could do both MM and MC if I decided to switch carts. but i guess if the SUT could turn one into the other then maybe it's not as big a deal-breaker.
I probably won't make a move on it until July either which way, but it's not a deal breaker for me either way. I'm mostly interested in whether using a SUT is generally seen as better than just using a MC preamp. I'd rather have the flexibility to go either way with my cartridges. None of the preamps I've been interested in have an easy switch from one to the other. But I have two preamp options for MM at the moment (the Mani which can do either but its weaknesses really shine with the MC cart, and the integrated option in my NAD C368). So I could just buy an MC preamp and use what I have for MM, but would like to find a path that could work for either if I want.

I probably won't make a move on it until July either which way, but it's not a deal breaker for me either way. I'm mostly interested in whether using a SUT is generally seen as better than just using a MC preamp. I'd rather have the flexibility to go either way with my cartridges. None of the preamps I've been interested in have an easy switch from one to the other. But I have two preamp options for MM at the moment (the Mani which can do either but its weaknesses really shine with the MC cart, and the integrated option in my NAD C368). So I could just buy an MC preamp and use what I have for MM, but would like to find a path that could work for either if I want.
I will be selling my Elac Alchemy PPA-2 soon bc I am getting a Darlington Labs MM8B.

The Elac has independent, dual inputs, each of which can be MM or variable MC. I’m not replacing it bc I don’t like it. On the contrary, I think it’s fantastic, and I have posts here saying as much. I just want to try something different. In any event, I’ll be selling it for a good price, so let me know if you’re interested.

I will be selling my Elac Alchemy PPA-2 soon bc I am getting a Darlington Labs MM8B.

The Elac has independent, dual inputs, each of which can be MM or variable MC. I’m not replacing it bc I don’t like it. On the contrary, I think it’s fantastic, and I have posts here saying as much. I just want to try something different. In any event, I’ll be selling it for a good price, so let me know if you’re interested.

I'll do some reading on it. I was looking at that Darlington Labs model too.

I don't think 3-3.5g is that excessive. Plenty of 'Real Carts' back in the day tracked at much higher weights.
For sure! I just definitely have a couple LPs I used to spin on one of those when I was a teenager (this is... 25 years ago, keep in mind - I'm sure they've made improvements) where there is groove collusion, I have to presume it was caused by the tracking.

For sure! I just definitely have a couple LPs I used to spin on one of those when I was a teenager (this is... 25 years ago, keep in mind - I'm sure they've made improvements) where there is groove collusion, I have to presume it was caused by the tracking.
"Groove Collusion" is the name of my new CorpoFunk band.

I think the project phono tube box has two inputs, if that one interested you.

i think id probably look at a phono that has two inputs, like the one i have and a few other mobile fidelity and pro-ject ones. Can flick a switch between the two and quickly switch the settings.

Back