Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

So far in my audio journey I’ve only had integrated amps. I’m wanting to try a class D amps, mono blocks, and other amps and thinking that I should invest in a good preamp and then get different power amps.

Preamps I’m considering in the $4k and under range include:
- Naim Uniti Atom HE
- Parasound P6
- Schiit Kara or Freya
- Cambridge Audio Edge NQ
- PrimaLuna EVO 300
- LTA Microzotl
- Black Ice Audio F360

Anyone here have any experience with any of these Preamps or other suggestions?
I’m currently running an EVO 300, which I purchased pre owned from the Music Room. I absolutely love it and I think it’s a steal for $3k. I did replace the stock tubes as one of the rectifiers had an issue and I wasn’t sure how many hours were on the input tubes. Highly recommend.

So far in my audio journey I’ve only had integrated amps. I’m wanting to try a class D amps, mono blocks, and other amps and thinking that I should invest in a good preamp and then get different power amps.

- Naim Uniti Atom HE
- Parasound P6
- Schiit Kara or Freya
- PrimaLuna EVO 300
- LTA Microzotl
- Black Ice Audio F360

After watching this video I have to add the Eversolo DMP A8 to my list of preamp options.

After watching this video I have to add the Eversolo DMP A8 to my list of preamp options.

This stretches the budget a bit, but seems like a nice piece of kit.

It something I have been interested in but I still can’t get over breaking the full analogue chain for my vinyl set up. Whilst I’d be getting a DAC/Premap in one box I think I’d probably look at something that had a fully analogue input and gain stage.

It digitizes everything. Which gives me a “splinter in the brain” feeling for spinning records.

- Naim Uniti Atom HE
- Parasound P6
- Schiit Kara or Freya
- PrimaLuna EVO 300
- LTA Microzotl
- Black Ice Audio F360

Other suggestion:

Benchmark HPA-1

Or their LA4 if you don’t need the headphone amp portion.
The headphone out is a nice to have. That’s what got me looking at the Naim Uniti Atom HE. I have headphone setups so I don’t really headphone capabilities for my speaker setup.

I also think I’d like to keep the chain analog for my speaker/ TT setup other than when I’m streaming.

I’m also thinking I may have what I need already. Was listening to the Kinki EX-M1+ this afternoon. I do love how it sounds. It has a pre-out. Maybe I’ll try that out to start. I could pick up a Kinki EX-P7/27 preamp down the road.

The M66 has a lot of cool features. Not sure the price premium for Dirac and a Phono stage are worth it for me. My room sounds pretty good without any DSP.

That said it would make for a sweet stack with an M23 amp. 🤔

- Naim Uniti Atom HE
- Parasound P6
- Schiit Kara or Freya
- PrimaLuna EVO 300
- LTA Microzotl
- Black Ice Audio F360

I currently have both the LTA Microzotl and the Schiit Freya+. I've had either the MZ2 (I rue the day I sold it) or now the Microzotl for the past 4+ years. The Microzotl is a forever piece. Its fully upgraded and has fancy pants NOS tubes.

I've had ~8 preamps and/or integrateds, and only the LTA gear has made me feel like nothing is lost, shrouded, hemmed in, congested, etc. It fully transmits everything its recieved, but in an organic, non fussy or sterile way. I honestly don't know how much better it could ever get for my tastes.

The Freya+ is in my 2nd system (see sig), and it's really good for the money. Def tubey warmth - and some darkness (I only run it with tubed on). It's pretty strong at soundstage placement. Not just a ball of sound in the middle, but well sorted out.

The LTA still smokes the Schiit, AND the LTA has a killer headphone amp as well. BUT it costs over 3x more than the Freya, both new and on the used market.

If you can swing the LTA, esp used, I highly recommend it. I like my gear to sound wiiiiide open, with blood and guts and some sweetness, rather than being hyper accurate. (Team Subjectivist, here.) The LTA does not offer sweetness, but it does deliver the soundstage and organic feel, though.

Last edited:
thinking about reactivating my second Technics for headphone listening in another room. i got that Schiit headphone amp somewhere allready.
now im looking for something with a similar small footprint. do i even need an amp here or would just a phono do the job?
Does the phono have a headphone output? Of it does, you’d be good to go with just that.

Back