Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I would get an AVR, a center and a pair of bookshelves. Let the AVR adjust the acoustics for the room dimensions. Enjoy the next rabbit holešŸ˜ maybe a sub too

Yep, agreed.

I have a full HT setup downstairs. Iā€™d rather keep it to two or less boxes, no AVR (hence the powered models), and small. If I went with the LS50ā€™s Iā€™d put them on the white IKEA two cube units. Or if I went with a Mu-So Iā€™d just put it where the Sonos Arc is.

Rhetorical question: Am I nuts? (Seriously, you donā€™t need to answer that!)

This is our family room, the two channel rig is in the living room and home theater is in the basement. Normally if Iā€™m doing anything in here itā€™s either watching news or listening to an Audible story. Butā€¦. The kids use this all the time, as does my wife. We currently have a Sonos Arc soundbar hooked up to the TV with ARC and CEC. The room also has a couple game systems for the kids and a Chromecast (which I may swap to a AppleTV 4K I have just sitting in a box).

Anyway, the Sonos is fine for TV, ok for Audible, sucks for music. Also, the speakers on the side that are supposed to bounce sound around just mean they fire sound down a hallway on one side. And do not in anyway create ā€œsurround sound.ā€ Iā€™m debating swapping the Sonos out for a Naim Mu-So 2 or maybe a pair of KEF LS50 Wireless 2. Is this just me over thinking how I could get better sound or ā€¦. Is this just me being an audiophile and being allergic to soundbars?

Has anyone here compared a Sonos Arc to a Naim Mu-So II, or is anyone using a stereo pair of LS50ā€™s for TV?

View attachment 195235

Honestly if itā€™s not something you use yourself all that often, or listen to music in yourself all that often, I donā€™t know if Iā€™d upgrade from the arc unless I was getting major protests from the kids. The Sonos bars take a big step up with a pair of ones as wireless rear channels too. I have a base and a two ones in my living room with the hifi for tv only and much prefer it to the music set up for tv but agree with you on it sucking for music.

Honestly if itā€™s not something you use yourself all that often, or listen to music in yourself all that often, I donā€™t know if Iā€™d upgrade from the arc unless I was getting major protests from the kids. The Sonos bars take a big step up with a pair of ones as wireless rear channels too. I have a base and a two ones in my living room with the hifi for tv only and much prefer it to the music set up for tv but agree with you on it sucking for music.
You make a good argument. My concern with the LS50ā€™s would be a potential decrease in dialogue intelligibility, and/or the kids playing their stuff louder.

But man, it sucks for music. I feel bad that people may not realize how much better their music can sound on a proper stereo.

Last edited:
You make a good argument. My concern with the LS50ā€™s would be a potential decrease in dialogue intelligibility, and/or the kids playing their stuff louder.

But man, it sucks for music. I feel bad that people may not realize how much better can sound on a proper stereo.

Yeah it really does. But then not everyone is an audiophile lol. My brother was in my apartment with his kids last year and streamed music to it because my stereo is ā€œintimidatingā€ and wondered why I bothered with all that big heavy expensive gear lol!

Myself, I use it for just tv full stop because of where it is but Iā€™ve got to say with the rears I love it as a surround system, particularly as having the tubes on for tv as well as music would be insane. I also donā€™t think youā€™re buying an avr and five speakers in its class for ā‚¬1200.

Last edited:
Iā€™d agree. Iā€™d leave it as is and spend the money elsewhere. From my experience with a 6 year old and a 3 year old they get as much joy from streaming music on the Sonos beam in the playroom or Sonos 1ā€™s in the bedroom than they do from dancing around to music on the big expensive stereo in the music room. I notice the difference and it frustrates me, but not them, and to be honest thatā€™s all that really matters.

Also, if I had to sell my big kit Iā€™d take Sonos poor quality musical performance than nothing at all every day of the week. Weā€™re just spoilt!

Yea I had the ikea Sonos as wireless rear speakers and swapped to Sonos 1s I think that we got as a wedding present. They are fine for home theater. And also fine for just throwing on music while we are doing chores or playing with the kiddo downstairs. If I want to do critical listening I listen to music on my home office system or my main sitting room system.

@SnowmaNick if they annoy you then I donā€™t think any futzing with them is gonna make you suddenly like the sound signature. Iā€™d go the route that @Jbraswell said with bookshelves and a center speaker and AVR but get that you donā€™t want more boxes.

As for dialogue, I do find that on certain streaming like HBO max, I always had trouble with dialogue mixing on a 2 channel setup. But itā€™s been years since I used 2 channel for TV so it may have changed

I think part of the itch is that Iā€™ve sold and shipped off my Revelā€™s and donā€™t get my KEFā€™s until Thursday. So I was using the Sonos for music today. Itā€™s much less annoying and obvious when I have my normal system going.

Catch up on some films and tv shows the next two days and save yourself $$$$$$

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

I think part of the itch is that Iā€™ve sold and shipped off my Revelā€™s and donā€™t get my KEFā€™s until Thursday. So I was using the Sonos for music today. Itā€™s much less annoying and obvious when I have my normal system going.
Managing expectationsā€¦ I stream music through our soundbar when my wife is in a meeting from time to time. Itā€™s definitely better than using my laptop (take that B&O) but it ainā€™t touching sitting in the listening chair with a nice piece of vinyl playing.

I think my phono preamp is breaking

There is times where my audio on my lps are completely cutting out on the right channel, and when it comes out it's muffly and noisy, I thought it was maybe the rca cables, but that didn't completely fix it, I isolated the issue by moving around the cables and the issue is clearly on the red RCA input on my preamp but if it i move the cables a version way I can get back to normal signal, got any recommendations under say, 200-300 at most.. I previously had a Schiit mani so maybe the mani 2?

There is times where my audio on my lps are completely cutting out on the right channel, and when it comes out it's muffly and noisy, I thought it was maybe the rca cables, but that didn't completely fix it, I isolated the issue by moving around the cables and the issue is clearly on the red RCA input on my preamp but if it i move the cables a version way I can get back to normal signal, got any recommendations under say, 200-300 at most.. I previously had a Schiit mani so maybe the mani 2?
Worth a shot

Also check to make sure you just don't have cables with shorts. Easier to replace those cables.

Also check to make sure you just don't have cables with shorts. Easier to replace those cables.
i've moved from schiit pyst cables to stock cables that came with my turntable and it did no difference, if I moved a certain way I will still get static or dropout on the channel... one person suggested I put isopropyl alcohol or even open up the mani to fix the issue....

Worth a shot

Iā€™ve been using a Phono Box S2 for the past 4. Itā€™s a solid device. Sounds good and responds well to a power supply upgrade.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with any of the Sweet Vinyl Sugar Cube devices ?
Only at an audio show. They worked as advertised.

I debated getting one for a long time, but I determined that ultimately it would go against my all-analog philosophy for the vinyl setup. If running the audio through a digital processor does not bother you on some ideological level, they work extremely well.

Last edited:
Back