Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Is there a consensus on best ways to connect phono to Sonos? I have Sonos throughout my house for casual listening/TV but my turntable (Fluance RT85) and preamp (NAD C 316BEE V2) are isolated in my office. I'd love to stream the sound of that system to my Sonos speakers. Have read some reviews of the Sonos Port which are sort of "meh" considering the price point. Any opinions?

Is there a consensus on best ways to connect phono to Sonos? I have Sonos throughout my house for casual listening/TV but my turntable (Fluance RT85) and preamp (NAD C 316BEE V2) are isolated in my office. I'd love to stream the sound of that system to my Sonos speakers. Have read some reviews of the Sonos Port which are sort of "meh" considering the price point. Any opinions?

It’s either the input on the port or the input on a 5 speaker. That will then let you pass it through your network to any other online Sonos speakers.

If you have one of the newer speakers like a Move 2 or Era 100/300 you can use a USB-C Line adapter with a 3.5 to RCA jack to connect your TT.

Last edited:
You’d have to unplug the TT to connect it to the amp or the speaker every time you wanted to switch though right?
If you want to use the TT with another (non-Sonos) system you’d have to connect it to that system.

If you want something that works with Sonos out of the box check out the Victrola Stream.

Maybe Sonos will make a phono preamp that can work directly with its speakers.

If you have one of the newer speakers like a Move 2 or Era 100/300 you can use a USB-C Line adapter with a 3.5 to RCA jack to connect your TT.
You’d have to unplug the TT to connect it to the amp or the speaker every time you wanted to switch though right?
Unless you had a phono stage with two outputs, there are a good few of those about!
Thanks everyone. It seems the consensus is "harder than it needs to be" so maybe I will sit tight for a while.

Those of you here that use a Degritter @Portland Sheriff @sulken not sure who else... Do you use the detergent that comes with it or some other type? And do you use a surfactant?
I use the Degritter brand liquid. I don’t use anything else. When I bought it, I watched a bunch of video reviews and read about people using various formulas, but they were too involved for me to want to think about.

I haven’t looked into it since then, so that’s upwards of 2 years ago, and someone may have come up with an improvement that’s not too involved (for me).

I’ve been very happy with the results, but I’m also very open to relatively straightforward suggestions for how to improve on the degritter stuff.

Last edited:
Rhetorical question: Am I nuts? (Seriously, you don’t need to answer that!)

This is our family room, the two channel rig is in the living room and home theater is in the basement. Normally if I’m doing anything in here it’s either watching news or listening to an Audible story. But…. The kids use this all the time, as does my wife. We currently have a Sonos Arc soundbar hooked up to the TV with ARC and CEC. The room also has a couple game systems for the kids and a Chromecast (which I may swap to a AppleTV 4K I have just sitting in a box).

Anyway, the Sonos is fine for TV, ok for Audible, sucks for music. Also, the speakers on the side that are supposed to bounce sound around just mean they fire sound down a hallway on one side. And do not in anyway create “surround sound.” I’m debating swapping the Sonos out for a Naim Mu-So 2 or maybe a pair of KEF LS50 Wireless 2. Is this just me over thinking how I could get better sound or …. Is this just me being an audiophile and being allergic to soundbars?

Has anyone here compared a Sonos Arc to a Naim Mu-So II, or is anyone using a stereo pair of LS50’s for TV?

IMG_1681.jpeg

Last edited:

This is our family room, the two channel rig is in the living room and home theater is in the basement. Normally if I’m doing anything in here it’s either watching news or listening to an Audible story. But…. The kids use this all the time, as does my wife. We currently have a Sonos Arc soundbar hooked up to the TV with ARC and CEC. The room also has a couple game systems for the kids and a Chromecast (which I may swap to a AppleTV 4K I have just sitting in a box).

Anyway, the Sonos is fine for TV, ok for Audible, sucks for music. Also, the speakers on the side that are supposed to bounce sound around just mean they fire sound down a hallway on one side. And do not in anyway create “surround sound.” I’m debating swapping the Sonos out for a Naim Mu-So 2 or maybe a pair of KEF LS50 Wireless 2. Is this just me over thinking how I could get better sound or …. Is this just me being an audiophile and being allergic to soundbars?

Has anyone here compared a Sonos Arc to a Naim Mu-So II, or is anyone using a stereo pair of LS50’s for TV?

View attachment 195235
I use Wharfedale Lintons for TV and have no complaints. What’s most important to me is having great musical audio as it’s what gets utilized by far the most. Idek what I’m missing out on with Lintons as my entertainment speakers.

So I’m team get the KEFS

View attachment 195235
I would get an AVR, a center and a pair of bookshelves. Let the AVR adjust the acoustics for the room dimensions. Enjoy the next rabbit hole😁 maybe a sub too

Back