Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I definitely need to make some tweaks like lil O-rings for the anti-skate weights, a Cruise Control for speed changes so I don’t have to mess with the belt…I’ve already ordered an Achromat.
your turntable has cruise control?

My stylus is due for a replacement. Currently using a Shure M97xe - no longer manufactured. I have read great things about the JICO SAS replacement stylus for Shure carts, but it is pretty pricey at about $285 for the 97xe. Worth the cost? Something else I should steer toward?

Thanks!

My stylus is due for a replacement. Currently using a Shure M97xe - no longer manufactured. I have read great things about the JICO SAS replacement stylus for Shure carts, but it is pretty pricey at about $285 for the 97xe. Worth the cost? Something else I should steer toward?

Thanks!
I remember my M97xe fondly. I used to do pro audio sales, and Shure took care of me on one of those. Definitely a mellow top end on that one, but with boogie & impact. I've recently got about 30 hours on a Sumiko Moonstone, and it actually has reminded me quite a bit of the Shure.

I'm in a cartridge experiment phase with one of my tables. If you're at all interested in headed in that direction, shoot me a PM. Would come in well under JICO's stylus cost.

Sure is!! I've got a couple ideas of where I wanna go. I count it as a blessing that I have a relatively lower end table, keep some silly doors from opening - for now!
I’m glad you said some silly doors. ;) I envision us all surrounded by them! I’ve been reading recently about using a bicycle tire tube and ball bearings to create a suspended platform for my gear. I’m a gullible motherfucker.

Anyone have opinions on Nagaoka MP-110 or other Nagaoka carts vs the Grado Opus 3?
I can’t compare to the Grado but I am currently using the MP-110 with my Technics and think it sounds great. Took a bit of time to break in but after almost 2 years or regular play I am really happy with the cartridge.

Any suggestions on the best way to clean an Ortofon Blue needle? My apt is EXTREMELY dusty and it seems like most of that dust ends up on my stylus.

I have this and it works ok but it's not great - Stylus Cleaning Brush

TIA​

I mostly use something similar. I’d suggest the newish HumminGuru stylus cleaner thingy but ortofon say no liquid cleaners to be used on their styli.

Back