Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I think the 99 noir are a mass drop exclusive. The standard 99 are nearer $300 from my recollection.
The Noir are physically identical to the 99 Classics except for the finish on the earcup and the included cables. They also have an updated ear pad vs the older Classics, though I think the newer Classics are shipping with the same pads.

@Mather EVERY FUCKING TIME I WATCH A YOUTUBE VIDEO AT WORK, I get a wrensilva commercial and I'm starting to think given the components we know, the price isn't that awful and it's so pretty!!!!
It is very very pretty and VPI is great and the internet is such a jerk once it catches on to these things and throws them in your face every time you decide to do anything.

Hey guys. Back for more. I’m ready to dip back into vinyl with my system and looking for the current wisdom on a “cheap“ system. No regrets on my digital current system but would like to fill in som gaps with vinyl, plus I have some great albums just sitting here already.

Thinking PLX 1000 with an AT 0c9xsl and need a phone in the $500 range too. Not sure about cart compliance either.

Last edited:
Okay. Browsing what’s out there and thinking the play at that price might be a technics 1200-sl with a blue orto on it and use the built in phono option just to get a good table. Thoughts on that phono quality As a get by? I’m trying to stay out of the deep end but remembering the way Special line contact styli handled the combo detail/noise I think I will end up at MC eventually. Maybe I could try this and see how I get on. I mean vinyl is not my primary at this point.

Hey guys. Back for more. I’m ready to dip back into vinyl with my system and looking for the current wisdom on a “cheap“ system. No regrets on my digital current system but would like to fill in som gaps with vinyl, plus I have some great albums just sitting here already.

Thinking PLX 1000 with an AT 0c9xsl and need a phone in the $500 range too. Not sure about cart compliance either.
Phono stage- check out the Darlington Labs MM-6 or MP-7. You won’t do better for the money. They often have B stock units at a discount.

Cartridge? @AnthonyI loaned me his Soundsmith Otello ES. Don’t let the reasonable price or the fact that it is their entry level cartridge fool you. It’s crazy stupid good.

Phono stage- check out the Darlington Labs MM-6 or MP-7. You won’t do better for the money. They often have B stock units at a discount.

Cartridge? @AnthonyI loaned me his Soundsmith Otello ES. Don’t let the reasonable price or the fact that it is their entry level cartridge fool you. It’s crazy stupid good.
Okay thoughts on used plx-1000 mm 6 and ottelo vs technics 1500c and ride? I’m guessing 300$ish price difference.

Okay thoughts on used plx-1000 mm 6 and ottelo vs technics 1500c and ride? I’m guessing 300$ish price difference.
I’d pass on the 1500C. I’ve seen a few have issues with the auto arm lift. It’ll get stuck in the lifted position turning it into a big paperweight.

I can pretty much guarantee either Darlington is better too. I also prefer the Soundsmith to any Ortofon I’ve heard up to $1000.

I’d pass on the 1500C. I’ve seen a few have issues with the auto arm lift. It’ll get stuck in the lifted position turning it into a big paperweight.

I can pretty much guarantee either Darlington is better too. I also prefer the Soundsmith to any Ortofon I’ve heard up to $1000.
MM7 is a worthy upgrade to MM6?

Back