Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I have the Sony M-4's and they are excellent. I would assume the M-5's would be even better...
I agree, the XM4's are the only ones I would spend my own money on. I haven't because I simply wouldn't use them enough to justify the cost, but the XM3 and XM4s really stand above the rest for over the ear noise cancelling to me.

I haven't heard the 5s yet, and honestly I'm a little turned off by how blatantly they are chasing the Bose in the design department. I just don't see how a thinner headband gets significantly more comfortable. They are half the weight, so maybe it's not that bad.
But speaking of the weight... half the weight, same battery life? Unless Sony has made some significant breakthroughs in battery tech, something has to give. My concern would be that what gives is either true isolation materials and/or magnet structure in the drivers. Unless I could demo the 4s and the 5s side by side, I'd just save my $50 and go with the 4s.

I agree, the XM4's are the only ones I would spend my own money on. I haven't because I simply wouldn't use them enough to justify the cost, but the XM3 and XM4s really stand above the rest for over the ear noise cancelling to me.

I haven't heard the 5s yet, and honestly I'm a little turned off by how blatantly they are chasing the Bose in the design department. I just don't see how a thinner headband gets significantly more comfortable. They are half the weight, so maybe it's not that bad.
But speaking of the weight... half the weight, same battery life? Unless Sony has made some significant breakthroughs in battery tech, something has to give. My concern would be that what gives is either true isolation materials and/or magnet structure in the drivers. Unless I could demo the 4s and the 5s side by side, I'd just save my $50 and go with the 4s.
I skimmed a few articles and got some details about potential areas of weight savings.
Headband, cup foam, and changing from 40mm drivers in XM4 to 30mm carbon fiber drivers in XM5.

Long session comfort did seem to go to 4s, and sound seems to be a bit of a preference situation.

I’d say 4s on holiday sales are a winner unless you really love something specific about the 5.

Another factor that every article brought up - 5s don’t fold. Possibly a favor if you’re actually tossing the in a bag.

I have the Sony WH-1000XM4s. The thing I like the best about them is that they can be paired to two devices at once. Maybe others are like that, idk, but it's perfect because I have them paired to my computer and my phone. They sound great. You can get deals on them at times. I think I got them for $100 off.
yea--with black friday coming up, I'm sure there will be some deals to be had!

I have a Sennheiser HD1. It has good sound, pretty good noise canceling, and a good battery life. It can pair with several devices and connect to 2 at once, but it’s jarring when one device cuts into the other device’s audio.

That’s only going to stop you adding fingerprints. That thing will show every tiny bit of dirt and dust that lands on it.
preview_2XPERIENCE_03.jpg

I'm actually a little surprised, I almost bought the pro Ject 2Xperience in Acrylic when it came out but decided it felt a BIT too late 70's early 80's for me in terms of the clear lexan look. And Pro Ject stopped making them a couple years ago I think. Rather surprised to see AT basically bring out the same thing. Albeit MORE clear and MORE shiny.

Hmm.

I MUST HAVE IT

View attachment 156196

I'm actually a little surprised, I almost bought the pro Ject 2Xperience in Acrylic when it came out but decided it felt a BIT too late 70's early 80's for me in terms of the clear lexan look. And Pro Ject stopped making them a couple years ago I think. Rather surprised to see AT basically bring out the same thing. Albeit MORE clear and MORE shiny.

Hmm.

I MUST HAVE IT

I think project still do something similar higher up the line x. Some silly name like 6 xperience acryl

Edit:this is the fella 6 PerspeX SB is such a daft name.

I think project still do something similar higher up the line x. Some silly name like 6 xperience acryl

Edit:this is the fella 6 PerspeX SB is such a daft name.

Their names are just so silly. Every time someone asks the name of my table I cringe and like mutter it under my breath.

Yeah they are. At least the new ones seem to be a bit simpler because equally Debut Carbon Esprit SB is a bit of an embarrassing mouthful!
"Oh this? Why this is my uh... Pro-Ject 2Xperience SB... in Palisander..."

By the time I get to the "P" in Palisander their eyes have glazed over and I'm trying to back into oncoming traffic.

Last edited:
"Oh this? Why this is my uh... Pro-Ject 2Xperience SB in Palisander..."

By the time I get to the "P" in Palisander their eyes have glazed over and I'm trying to back into oncoming traffic.

Honestly none of my friends are particularly into collecting music so they’re lost at the whole concept of a hifi system rather than a sonos speaker or even an iPhone speaker dock or Bluetooth piece of crap so I tend not to even get that far 😂

Everyone loves seeing the tube amp lit up though!!

Back