Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

does anyone happen to have the pdf file for a (Baerwald) protractor to print out ? it seems that you cant register at vinyl engine at the moment. the protractor i got here drives me nuts because its like a mirror.

cheers

Anyone ever dealt with Safe and Sound? They have the MF LX2-LPS for $349. Everywhere else is $379.
Hi @dbarila, I bought my refurbished Parasound HINT 6 from them a couple of years ago. I wasn't sure how legit they were 'cause of their cheesy name/branding, but they shipped it out super fast and everything came looking great. I'd buy from them again!

Speaking of safe & sound if anyone is after a phono stage thats a nice upgrade I really love this one and that’s a good price, a lower number in $ than I’d pay in € for one and they seem to have become quite scarce over there.

Last edited:
The C298 is a pretty extraordinary amp, even for NAD. It’s a very different design internally from most of their “classic” designs. If I didn’t have a “classic” C272 that had just been serviced to near perfection, I’d be glaring at my credit card bill from my C298 purchase!
Holy shit! And it sounds great cold from the box.

First impressions:

1. It sounds like NAD. On steroids.

2. The Lintons are better speakers than I knew.

3. Damping factor. Part of the reason I went from the C268 to the C298. It’s worth every penny, and then some. Damping factor is a measurement of how well the amp controls the speaker. Most amps are <150. The C298 is >700. This is one of the reasons some amps don’t sound good with some speakers. The speaker is controlling the amp and affecting its frequency response. The C298 controls the speaker with a vice like grip.

4. It doesn’t sound like solid state. Or tubes. It’s the closest I’ve ever heard the recreation of a real musical event in my home. By a long shot.

5. The C165BEE preamp is really good too and uses the same input relay switching system as the PL.

Can’t wait to get more hours on it. I’m pretty burnt from work and I’m taking more vacation time starting Tuesday.

There are solid reasons to keep moving up the chain of great sounding equipment. The improvements are real and having a breakthrough moment like you are experiencing is affirmation of our quest. Wait until it is thoroughly broken in! Congratulations.

Back