Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

My guess is the NAD will make the Lintons stand at attention and quickly learn they have a great new master. And they will like it! 😎 Ported speakers and high damping factor amplification play well together.

Last edited:
Ok, for those who don’t know, the C298 is a Class D amp with a switching power supply. Without boring you guys with a bunch of technobabble, Class D has advantages over other types of amplifiers:

1. Efficiency: with a conventional class A/B amp, over half of the energy used to operate the amp is lost as heat. Class D runs cool/cold to mildly warm. The NAD runs mildly warm. I’m listening loudly (for me) right now (peaks at 85 dB) and just checked my power conditioner. The entire system is drawing less than 1 amp of current. Other topologies have easily used triple the energy from the wall.

The switching power supply is noisy. But unlike a conventional power supply (also noisy) one doesn’t need a huge transformer and a bunch of filter capacitors to filter the noise. The noise generated by switching power supplies are far above the range of human hearing. Now, the C298 still has a bank of filter capacitors, because they never hurt. But, no big transformer. And switching power supplies can run on any voltage from 100-250 volts- the C298 comes with both USA and Euro style power cords. Sutherland phono stages come with switching power supplies standard.

2. Generally, Class D amps are lightweight. The C298 is actually on the heavy side for Class D at 25 pounds. The C268 uses the same chassis and tips the scale at 16 pounds. From reading some info from NAD, it seems they’ve gone all in for Class D and that there will be no more new Class AB amps from them moving forward.

My guess is the NAD will make the Lintons stand at attention and quickly learn they have a great new master. And they will like it! 😎 Ported speakers and high damping factor amplification play well together.
I’m not sure that truer words have ever been spoken.

And while $3300 retail isn’t cheap for both pieces, if I’d listened and someone said $7500, I’d have thought that reasonable. Both pieces were open box from Safe and Sound, so I saved 10% on the preamp and 20% on the power amp.

I’m not sure that truer words have ever been spoken.

And while $3300 retail isn’t cheap for both pieces, if I’d listened and someone said $7500, I’d have thought that reasonable. Both pieces were open box from Safe and Sound, so I saved 10% on the preamp and 20% on the power amp.

How long before we see you with their M range 😉

How long before we see you with their M range 😉
You won’t. I looked at them. The C298 uses the output boards from one of the M series amps, with a different power supply. So it’s quasi M series I guess.

But the preamps and integrateds all have built in DACs, which I’ll never buy. And they digitize the analog inputs, so the output of my phono stage would go through the DAC. 🤮🤮🤮 And while the DAC is high resolution, the analog inputs are dumbed down to 24 bit 48k. Gross. And stupid.

And- touchscreens as opposed to knobs and buttons. 🤢🤢🤢 I don’t want my system to work like an iPad.

You won’t. I looked at them. The C298 uses the output boards from one of the M series amps, with a different power supply. So it’s quasi M series I guess.

But the preamps and integrateds all have built in DACs, which I’ll never buy. And they digitize the analog inputs, so the output of my phono stage would go through the DAC. 🤮🤮🤮 And while the DAC is high resolution, the analog inputs are dumbed down to 24 bit 48k. Gross. And stupid.

And- touchscreens as opposed to knobs and buttons. 🤢🤢🤢 I don’t want my system to work like an iPad.

Hahaha! Fair enough. I’m a fan of an old touchscreen myself so long as the software and interface is well designed but yeah, totally agree with you on all the rest! I hadn’t realised they digitised the analogue input, that’s a weird call!

Well, I don't know what part of the "Great Isolation Feet Purchase of 2022" is making the difference but y'all it's definitely making a difference. Especially on my lesser quality pressings. Another one of these "I wouldn't believe it if I didn't hear it myself" sort of deals. More air between the instruments, more presence in the vocals and an even wider and more 3D stage. I'm honestly shocked. This stuff was not particularly expensive either. In my opinion well worth it.

Well, I don't know what part of the "Great Isolation Feet Purchase of 2022" is making the difference but y'all it's definitely making a difference. Especially on my lesser quality pressings. Another one of these "I wouldn't believe it if I didn't hear it myself" sort of deals. More air between the instruments, more presence in the vocals and an even wider and more 3D stage. I'm honestly shocked. This stuff was not particularly expensive either. In my opinion well worth it.
I’ve got a set of feet that I use coming for the new amp. You wouldn’t think you’d get vibrations from Lintons, across the slab, through the furniture to the amp, but you do.

I’ve got a set of feet that I use coming for the new amp. You wouldn’t think you’d get vibrations from Lintons, across the slab, through the furniture to the amp, but you do.
Yeah I mean I suspect most of the heavy lifting is coming from the ZaZen under the TT. Because that's RIGHT next to the L100 and it definitely shakes the room. So I'm sure the ability to read the groove without the extra vibration helps, but man the added stage and presence on even my below average pressings is kinda shocking. Makes me wonder if the stage and AVR are also benefiting more than I had anticipated.

Reactions: OMC
Yeah I mean I suspect most of the heavy lifting is coming from the ZaZen under the TT. Because that's RIGHT next to the L100 and it definitely shakes the room. So I'm sure the ability to read the groove without the extra vibration helps, but man the added stage and presence on even my below average pressings is kinda shocking. Makes me wonder if the stage and AVR are also benefiting more than I had anticipated.
Vibration reduction matters. That’s why Naim mounts their PC boards on anti vibration platforms.

Vibration reduction matters. That’s why Naim mounts their PC boards on anti vibration platforms.

Did you use feet with the PL in the end? I can’t remember. It’s the only thing I don’t have anything under yet because it’s too tall to use with the plinths I have under the rest of my gear.

I did. I actually use rubber washing machine isolators.

Ah yeah that rings a bell! I suppose it if stops your washing machine bouncing around all over the place they’ve got to be up to the job of being under an amplifier. That’s something I really will have to look into!

Last edited:
If you get a real wild hair, I’d suggest trying the brass Audio Points as well. A friend of mine had both Iso pucks and Audio Points. Both make a noticeable difference… and a different difference. The biggest impact was under the amp in my opinion, but I was shocked that it was audible even under the dac and streamer.

If you get a real wild hair, I’d suggest trying the brass Audio Points as well. A friend of mine had both Iso pucks and Audio Points. Both make a noticeable difference… and a different difference. The biggest impact was under the amp in my opinion, but I was shocked that it was audible even under the dac and streamer.
Well my local shop were freaking out about the difference one of the larger iso pucks made under their streamer. I cannot begin to imagine WHY it would make a difference. But apparently it did. I'm assuming it's sorcery, or ghosts.

1645362349330.gif

Well my local shop were freaking out about the difference one of the larger iso pucks made under their streamer. I cannot begin to imagine WHY it would make a difference. But apparently it did. I'm assuming it's sorcery, or ghosts.
I will say that I thought the steamer actually had the steamer had the second smallest improvement. The CD player had the lowest improvement in my opinion.

But again, if I could only do one I’d do the amp. I’ve seen it in multiple systems. Every time the amp is where the biggest impact has happened, including my own system.

It gets pricey! The only one like this that has actually found a home in my system is the record weight. At some point I’m sure I’ll break and get a set under the amp too.

I will say that I thought the steamer actually had the steamer had the second smallest improvement. The CD player had the lowest improvement in my opinion.

But again, if I could only do one I’d do the amp. I’ve seen it in multiple systems. Every time the amp is where the biggest impact has happened, including my own system.

It gets pricey! The only one like this that has actually found a home in my system is the record weight. At some point I’m sure I’ll break and get a set under the amp too.
Yeah my amp has the full isolation platters under it now, same as the TT. Stage and streamer have the individual iso pucks.

Back