Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Oh I can play too. Have you heard the Glimshtok v.3 phono stage? I read that it pairs really well with a Blobbodonk "Epicka" MC cartridge.
I'm a big fan of the Blobbodonk. And I love listening to Mookie Kramer and the Eight Balls and Roy Donk on the Glimshtok. Really makes it sound like you're on the set of the Colgate Comedy Hour.

I really want the Ares 2 also but for some reason can't pull the trigger. I really don't mind my Raspberry Pi set up but would like the upgrade if the reviews are true. One thing I noticed in the amendment to that Darko video is it doesn't do well with video if that makes a difference, there is a slight delay going through.

@MikeH out of curiosity if you had to go with a second option outside the Ares 2 what would you go with?

I think mine would be the Schitt Bitfrost but the RME is interesting too. I always seem to want the Ares2 for the more analog feel though from descriptions. Wish I could demo the Bitfrost vs the Ares 2.

@MikeH out of curiosity if you had to go with a second option outside the Ares 2 what would you go with?

I think mine would be the Schitt Bitfrost but the RME is interesting too. I always seem to want the Ares2 for the more analog feel though from descriptions. Wish I could demo the Bitfrost vs the Ares 2.
yea i'm kind of in the same boat as you re: not being able to pull the trigger. Mostly it was because I was prioritizing upgrading my analog setup with new speakers, TT and amp. But now that those are done....a new DAC will eventually grab my interest I think...

i have a Singxer DAC which I think is pretty solid. But if I got the Ares, I'd swap the Singxer to my office setup since I'm just using an internal DAC on my amp there for now. I'd love to demo the Schitt and hadn't heard of the RME before your post. I did a kind of deep dive on DACs a year or two ago before buying the Singxer since I got a really good deal on it used/like new. I'd probably want to stay under $800 or so though as my endgame DAC. The R-2R is intriguing to me on the Denafrips because of the more analog feel you're talking about.

Does anybody have any of the Vinshine Audio gear? Saw they are going to be upping their prices soon slightly but the Denafrips Ares II has always intrigued me.
Hi @MikeH,

I recently bought the Denafrips Pontus II and have it hooked up to my Bluesound Node 2i as the streamer (will replace the Node 2i with a Lumin U1 Mini next year and also get rid of Roon). I'm using it with Roon and streaming via Tidal, Qobuz, & Spotify.

I waited 6 weeks for mine and they shipped it out exactly when promised. It took 7 business days to get to CA via FedEX.

I don't know how to describe the sound w/o using all of the cliches about great DACs, but man, this thing sounds AMAZING. I've always felt like with streaming, it sounded "digital" and there was an edgey or shiny quality to a lot of tracks. Switching out the DAC from the Node 2i for the Pontus II gave me much more immediate and noticeable differences than when I switched out any of my phono preamps (went from Mofi Studiophono > Parasound JC3 Jr > PS Audio Stellar Phono).

I don't notice any of the harshness/edginess that I would sometimes notice and the sound is warmer while still being detailed and holographic with amazing imaging and soundstage. There's more "grunt" in the mids and lows, and instruments sound like the actual instruments. Music is just more enjoyable to listen to and I get drawn in much more than before.

I should also mention that the power cord made a huge difference; when I reached out to Alvin at Vinshine, he suggested the AQ NRG Y. While I was waiting for new cables to arrive, I tried a standard cable and when I switched to the AQ, it really opened things up so account for a power cable if you don't have one already.

Shortly after putting the Pontus II into my system, I had an issue with my turntable and I seriously considered getting rid of my analog setup. I never would've considered it before (and now, I think I may have damaged my stylus somehow).

Hi @MikeH,

I recently bought the Denafrips Pontus II and have it hooked up to my Bluesound Node 2i as the streamer (will replace the Node 2i with a Lumin U1 Mini next year and also get rid of Roon). I'm using it with Roon and streaming via Tidal, Qobuz, & Spotify.

I waited 6 weeks for mine and they shipped it out exactly when promised. It took 7 business days to get to CA via FedEX.

I don't know how to describe the sound w/o using all of the cliches about great DACs, but man, this thing sounds AMAZING. I've always felt like with streaming, it sounded "digital" and there was an edgey or shiny quality to a lot of tracks. Switching out the DAC from the Node 2i for the Pontus II gave me much more immediate and noticeable differences than when I switched out any of my phono preamps (went from Mofi Studiophono > Parasound JC3 Jr > PS Audio Stellar Phono).

I don't notice any of the harshness/edginess that I would sometimes notice and the sound is warmer while still being detailed and holographic with amazing imaging and soundstage. There's more "grunt" in the mids and lows, and instruments sound like the actual instruments. Music is just more enjoyable to listen to and I get drawn in much more than before.

I should also mention that the power cord made a huge difference; when I reached out to Alvin at Vinshine, he suggested the AQ NRG Y. While I was waiting for new cables to arrive, I tried a standard cable and when I switched to the AQ, it really opened things up so account for a power cable if you don't have one already.

Shortly after putting the Pontus II into my system, I had an issue with my turntable and I seriously considered getting rid of my analog setup. I never would've considered it before (and now, I think I may have damaged my stylus somehow).
This is great to hear but also now I will want one even more haha. I think the Pontus is a bit out of my price range, but I'll reassess in the new year when budgeting for the next upgrade. I should also swap out some of my power cables since I've heard from a few people that it can make a difference. I'll check out the AQ! I know some people said some of the Pangeas are good too.

Thanks for the review!

This is great to hear but also now I will want one even more haha. I think the Pontus is a bit out of my price range, but I'll reassess in the new year when budgeting for the next upgrade. I should also swap out some of my power cables since I've heard from a few people that it can make a difference. I'll check out the AQ! I know some people said some of the Pangeas are good too.

Thanks for the review!
Haha, yeah, sorry. I was initially going to get the Ares II because I'd read/watched reviews saying it was more musical, warm, and "analog-like" and that the Pontus II was more analytical, but then more recently, I started seeing reviews that it was similar but just "better" (might've been confirmation bias on my part, hee hee). I don't think it sounds analytical at all. Based on my experience and all the positive reviews, I don't think you can go wrong with the Ares either.

For cables, check with The Music Room and ask for their best price (I recently got a really good deal on an AQ Tornado).

Good luck!

Does anybody have any of the Vinshine Audio gear? Saw they are going to be upping their prices soon slightly but the Denafrips Ares II has always intrigued me.
I have heard the Ares II and was shocked how good it sounded. So smooth! Not sure if all ladder dacs are that good (Schitt Yggdrasil for ie) or not. If I had the budget I would grab a Ares in a second. Bummer prices are going up, but so is everything and with chip shortages and import costs certainly not surprising.

I'm of the camp that well-measuring DACs don't sound very much different. I have three DACs: a 20-year old Bryston BP25DA, a 2 yr old Schiit Modi 3 and a new Topping D70s. Although I think all three sound much better than the embedded DACs in my older CD players, I don't believe I could reliably tell the difference between the three in a blind test. The differences in performance in phono equipment is orders of magnitude greater than the measured differences between these DACs. My confirmation bias wants me to believe that the D70s is better than the rest, but I would not stake my life on it.

Well, it has been a long time coming. Ordered a Decware Zen Triode in February, and it arrived Monday. I just had the chance to spin a side and pipe through a digital stream. This is a special amp. I’m rarely compelled to pull out the “blown away” card, but… initial impressions are… I’m thrilled. And it just so happens I have tomorrow off, and the lady is working. Feels like Xmas is a couple weeks early!

Will have pics of this whole new setup coming.

That's a hell of a wait! I'd probably forget I ordered it and go buy another amp in the meantime haha
Haha it sure is. It timed out well as we began house hunting then, knew I’d be putting a new hifi together for the new house, and I wanted this to be the amp. So I was sort of able to “forget about it” for a bit. Was supposed to be done in 6 months, but like every other manufacturer, they are having a tough time sourcing their components.

Well, it has been a long time coming. Ordered a Decware Zen Triode in February, and it arrived Monday. I just had the chance to spin a side and pipe through a digital stream. This is a special amp. I’m rarely compelled to pull out the “blown away” card, but… initial impressions are… I’m thrilled. And it just so happens I have tomorrow off, and the lady is working. Feels like Xmas is a couple weeks early!

Will have pics of this whole new setup coming.
Really enjoyed my time with the Zen Torii Jr.

Would love to own another Decware one day!

Haha it sure is. It timed out well as we began house hunting then, knew I’d be putting a new hifi together for the new house, and I wanted this to be the amp. So I was sort of able to “forget about it” for a bit. Was supposed to be done in 6 months, but like every other manufacturer, they are having a tough time sourcing their components.
What speakers are you thinking about teaming up with it ? Obviously they have to be extremely efficient ?

Anyone on the forum using the Luxman PD-151? I've seen a couple of PD-171A users. I've become quite smitten with the PD-151 from reviews and pictures, but it's a big outlay. If I go to our local Luxman dealer "just to take a look" now, I'm liable to walk out with one and a dent to the credit card. Can anyone attest that it's as good as the periodical reviews? I'd been peeking at the VPI Prime 21, but the Luxman turned my head. Neither consideration would do much to help the kids' college fund! 🤷‍♂️

So far, absolutely!

I gotta say, all concerns are gone with the lower wattage/smaller bottles being lean on low end. This is fabulously balanced to my ear, but yeah - the midrange, holy smokes.
Wait to you try some Billie Holliday, or Glory Soundtrack through them

Back