Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Posted this in the wrong thread last night. Adding it here instead

So, I'm loving the new turntable...when I listen to a pristine pressing. But if there is any surface noise at all, it is soooo much louder than my old one. I'm getting so much more popping on many of my records. Especially in the first couple minutes of play. I don't understand it. I feel like there is something I'm missing
Cartridge upgrade as well? Some carts tend to "expose" a records flaws more than others

Yeah, Ortofon Blue
That's the one, has that exact reputation. I have the exact same cart, upgraded from a Red and experienced the same thing. For me, the solution was a preamp upgrade, I was using a crapy $50 preamp and I upgraded to the Darlington Labs MM6, and now those pops and crackles are MUCH less noticeable.

That's the one, has that exact reputation. I have the exact same cart, upgraded from a Red and experienced the same thing. For me, the solution was a preamp upgrade, I was using a crapy $50 preamp and I upgraded to the Darlington Labs MM6, and now those pops and crackles are MUCH less noticeable.
Ooh, good to know. My MM6 just shipped on Friday!

It is so weird how all the pops are always in the first couple minutes. Listening to a new album right now. Both sides popped at the beginning and sound crystal clear for the rest of the side.

It is so weird how all the pops are always in the first couple minutes. Listening to a new album right now. Both sides popped at the beginning and sound crystal clear for the rest of the side.

What type of solution are you using ? I got converted to this one here recently and it works great.

Some types of turntable mats can also contribute to static

Fluance or U-Turn? Really thinking about buying a new turntable for my birthday. I want to keep it around $300. I know I’m cheap, just trying to upgrade from my AT-LP60.

Fluance or U-Turn? Really thinking about buying a new turntable for my birthday. I want to keep it around $300. I know I’m cheap, just trying to upgrade from my AT-LP60.
Probably Fluance? Although I am weak for the Made in US aspect of the U-Turns, the Fluance seems like a more technically accomplished deck.

What type of solution are you using ? I got converted to this one here recently and it works great.

Some types of turntable mats can also contribute to static
I use Vinyl-zyme Gold

And I don't use a mat because it's an acrylic platter

Posted this in the wrong thread last night. Adding it here instead

So, I'm loving the new turntable...when I listen to a pristine pressing. But if there is any surface noise at all, it is soooo much louder than my old one. I'm getting so much more popping on many of my records. Especially in the first couple minutes of play. I don't understand it. I feel like there is something I'm missing

This sounds like a cleaning issue to me. The outter edge of the record is going to pass by the cleaning nozzle much slower then the inner record, it's going to have the most flex and warp, and it's the area most handled and exposed to the elements.

I'd say try recleaning with a few extra rotations and a slower pace.

This seems to have solved it, at least for the album I'm currently listening to. It popped like crazy earlier today, just spun it again after hitting it with the anti static gun like you mentioned. No pops
It’s a bigger issue when the air is dry. You may notice you don’t even need to bother on rainy days.

Glad it helped!

I can only speak for the U-Turn, but it was my third turntable and I've had it now for 5 years. I bought the cheapest model available, but it's so easily upgradable that through the years I've upgraded the cartridge (twice), platter, feet and added a que lever and you'd never know they weren't stock. Also of the couple issues I've had with parts through the years (a belt broke, the dust cover got bent) were easily resolved with their customer service. Other than changing from 45 to 33rpm being a little tedious, a have nothing negative to say about the table or the company.

Gonna see if I can get my hands on a technics 1200 this summer for the next upgrade. If I can't then a plx-1000 is the fallback option.

I would go Fluance over u-turn having owned the latter. It just was not able to track better carts and was more fumbly to set up. The lack of ant-skate was a major issue in the end. Skate was "pre-set" from the factory so you are just stuck.

I would go Fluance over u-turn having owned the latter. It just was not able to track better carts and was more fumbly to set up. The lack of ant-skate was a major issue in the end. Skate was "pre-set" from the factory so you are just stuck.
Probably Fluance? Although I am weak for the Made in US aspect of the U-Turns, the Fluance seems like a more technically accomplished deck.
Thanks for the replies. I’m leaning more Fluance too. Probably going to go with an RT-82 for now.

Back