Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

So the guy had a 1219 and a 1249 in very good shape. I had a couple cheap speakers that I purchased from him a couple years back that weren’t in use, so I swapped the speakers for both tables and a at120e cart for $200. I figure now I have a backup for whenever I decide to send one in to fixmydual.
Man, that sounds like a terrific deal for you! Sweet tables.

So the guy had a 1219 and a 1249 in very good shape. I had a couple cheap speakers that I purchased from him a couple years back that weren’t in use, so I swapped the speakers for both tables and a at120e cart for $200. I figure now I have a backup for whenever I decide to send one in to fixmydual.
Had to look this up but it looks like the 1249 is belt driven whereas the 1219 is an idler-drive table. The 1249 is 2-speed; 1219 is 3-speed. Also looks like the platter on the 1219 is almost three times the weight of that on the 1249 (if the info on the dual reference site is accurate). I'd ask fixmydual's opinion, but I suspect the 1219 is the one to service and then ride hard for decades. Ha, I own that table and I'm still jealous. :D

Where are those two white cabinets from? Are those store bought or custom?

Looks like the white are oos. If you search there are a bunch of websites that have them by different names/brands, but they are all the same.

Of course we have to ask the obligatory question, how do you like the Linton's ? They are one of 3 or 4 speakers I am considering.

Nice Dual's and vintage systems.
The Lintons are great. They look stunning. They are really well built. Sound right now is a big upgrade. Overall I am extremely pleased and I’m sure I will like them more as they break in. Really nice for quiet listening which a do a lot of.

Hmmm.

you have a vacuum cleaner.

I think there are opinions I’ve read on here about Cambridge build quality, @HiFi Guy was that you, that would steer me away from them.

The fluance is a little upgrade but probably not enough of a one to justify $500 on top of the money already sunk into the U-Turn.

My three suggestions would be

(a) With a musicians friend/guitar centre coupon get the pioneer plx-1000. Reuse your Grado blue; or

(b) Assuming the grado blue is a 3. Get an 8mz sylus and either a musical fidelity lx2-lps or the new Darlington phono @HiFi Guy is testing; or

(c) if your blue is a 1 or 2 get a gold 3 cartridge and same phono stage.
Circling back to this. I haven't looked much into pre amps. What makes the Musical Fidelity one a better choice than say a Vincent PHO-8?

Still kind of considering the RT85 although I acknowledge it might not be a big upgrade in sound but I would gain some features (switch for speed, removable head shell, adjustable anti skate, auto stop). People seem to either love or hate the 2M Blue though.

Circling back to this. I haven't looked much into pre amps. What makes the Musical Fidelity one a better choice than say a Vincent PHO-8?

Still kind of considering the RT85 although I acknowledge it might not be a big upgrade in sound but I would gain some features (switch for speed, removable head shell, adjustable anti skate, auto stop). People seem to either love or hate the 2M Blue though.

The pho 8 is out of production now so you’ll have to be quick to get one of the last production pieces. I haven’t heard as good things about it’s replacement. MF make good gear. This was one of the last pieces their founder Anthony Michaelson designed before he sold it off to project. I think @AnthonyI had both and preferred the MF but I’ll let him speak for himself.

Although honestly if it was my money I’d be tempted to try out the Darlington one based on @HiFi Guy little initial leaks before his full review comes along.

The pho 8 is out of production now so you’ll have to be quick to get one of the last production pieces. I haven’t heard as good things about it’s replacement. MF make good gear. This was one of the last pieces their founder Anthony Michaelson designed before he sold it off to project. I think @AnthonyI had both and preferred the MF but I’ll let him speak for himself.

Although honestly if it was my money I’d be tempted to try out the Darlington one based on @HiFi Guy little initial leaks before his full review comes along.
Which is the Darlington pre amp that he is reviewing?

@Joe Mac is correct, I had the Pho8 early on, and while it was great, the MF is much more "lively", I would put it in front of the StudioPhono and even with the KC VIbe v1. But, I would have to agree on the Darlington right now, too appealing at it's price point and some really solid feedback from users.

Which is the Darlington pre amp that he is reviewing?

This one I believe

@Joe Mac is correct, I had the Pho8 early on, and while it was great, the MF is much more "lively", I would put it in front of the StudioPhono and even with the KC VIbe v1. But, I would have to agree on the Darlington right now, too appealing at it's price point and some really solid feedback from users.

Above the KC Vibe! Wow! That little fella really is punching above it’s weight there! I’d always thought that the KC Vibe was more analogous to my MX-VYNL!

Above the KC Vibe! Wow! That little fella really is punching above it’s weight there! I’d always thought that the KC Vibe was more analogous to my MX-VYNL!
LOL, I miss-typed and corrected it a bit. But, taking price point into consideration, and in comparison to the LX-LPS, I would put them even in the sound department.

I've just added an LX2-LPS into my system and I'm impressed with it. My big caveat is that I only had one session listening to my new TT in my phono stage in my amp, so I can't specifically identify improvements in records that relate to the TT or the phono stage. I got mine second hand for £125 vs £200 RRP, and I'm very happy with it.

As a former owner of both, the operation really is smooth and simple as can be on the Fluance. Hey worst case, audition the Blue for 50 hours, if it’s not your thing, sell it. Now you’ve effectively got a $300 table with an acrylic platter. Not bad.

Also the 2M blue is a good cartridge. I liked it. It’s the only cartridge in the 2M line that I can say that about. However, I much prefer the grado sound and if you like what you’re hearing now you may prefer what you have to what you’re going to. In that case although the PLX-1000 comes without a cartridge you already have the Grado blue so can reuse it and if you wait until one of those musicians friend/guitar centre coupons it’s in and around the RT85 for price. You’d be getting better sound, keeping the Grado, getting all those extra features and having a table that can be made sound better and better going forwards by a series of longstanding and worthwhile tweaks.

Unfortunately, even with all the positive recommendation of any gear, you're really just improving your odds of liking something, this hobby is definitely not a "one size fits all" endeavor ;)

I think you'll be happy with the Fluance, look at carts like buying a pair of shoes, you get something that a lot of people like, you walk in them for a while and then realize they're not for you and you buy something else. To @HayesWeighsIn point, I wouldn't get to hung up on the cart part of your purchase.

Back