Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

So I just pulled the trigger on the wharfdale Denton 80th anniversary. Pretty pleased about that, thanks for the recommendations up to this point.

Need the amp next and looks like I'm now deciding between these. They all seem to be in the same ball park range:

-NAD 316 bee V2. Seems to check all the boxes.
-NAD 315 bee. I also find this one neat as it comes in the silver finish and I can pick it up for 100€ cheaper than the 316. I don't see much of a difference in terms of specs to the 316 so I'm not sure if one would especially recommend one over the other.
-Marantz PM 5005 - seems to be a discontinued model but people praise it's warmness.
-Marantz PM6006 - once again I don't see much of a difference to the other marantz.

Your advice is appreciated :)

So I just pulled the trigger on the wharfdale Denton 80th anniversary. Pretty pleased about that, thanks for the recommendations up to this point.

Need the amp next and looks like I'm now deciding between these. They all seem to be in the same ball park range:

-NAD 315 bee. I also find this one neat as it comes in the silver finish and I can pick it up for 100€ cheaper than the 316. I don't see much of a difference in terms of specs to the 316 so I'm not sure if one would especially recommend one over the other.
-Marantz PM 5005 - seems to be a discontinued model but people praise it's warmness.
-Marantz PM6006 - once again I don't see much of a difference to the other marantz.

I’d go NAD 315BEE- assuming you have an outboard phono stage- if not then the 316 BEEV2.

They’re hard to find right now due to supply chain disruption, but I’ve gotta say, this KingKo whips ass and is insanely good for the price. If you can live with 12W, it is worth your consideration.

Hello!

I just got a Loxjie p20 and a set of Beyer 770d to have a headphone set up.

I have a pro-ject esprit and a pair of yu6s that have a preamp built into it, so I’ll need a preamp to get my headphone amp working, correct? Any recommendations? I don’t want to spend a lot right now, but I really don’t know what’s reasonable.

What speakers are you replacing? Just curious because while I’ve heard/read a lot of good things about these speakers, I have no idea where they might fit into the scheme of things in comparison to other brands/levels of speaker. Congratulations on that trigger pull!! :D

What speakers are you replacing? Just curious because while I’ve heard/read a lot of good things about these speakers, I have no idea where they might fit into the scheme of things in comparison to other brands/levels of speaker. Congratulations on that trigger pull!! :D

Nothing noteworthy. That was definitely the weakest link in my set up. They're like bookshelf speakers from a German brand that came bundled with my wife's surround sound set.

You save money. You like silver. The actual amp is pretty much the same, and you don’t need the built in phono stage.

Might have jumped the gun on that 315. It is used...

If I were to stick to new gear would you still recommend the other NAD over the Marantz?

Hello!

I just got a Loxjie p20 and a set of Beyer 770d to have a headphone set up.

I have a pro-ject esprit and a pair of yu6s that have a preamp built into it, so I’ll need a preamp to get my headphone amp working, correct? Any recommendations? I don’t want to spend a lot right now, but I really don’t know what’s reasonable.
The Loxjie has a built-in volume control, which is half a preamp already. You need a phono preamp for your turntable and maybe an input selector if you want multiple sources.

Theyre a Japanese owned company but pretty much any research I’ve done into it leads back to China as the country of manufacture.

Perhaps some of the higher end ones into the multiple thousands are still made in Japan but I can’t find an evidence of that.
My PM8006 stated on the box that it was manufactured in Japan 🤷‍♂️

Odd. Perhaps it’s more mixed than it appears then. A google search seems to have all the sub 1k ones listed as being made in China. Maybe yours is, or was when you bought it, the tipping point.

Odd. Perhaps it’s more mixed than it appears then. A google search seems to have all the sub 1k ones listed as being made in China. Maybe yours is, or was when you bought it, the tipping point.
Their Reference Series along with the PM8006 which was their top of the line model at the time of purchase are all made in Japan.

Back