Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I've just ordered one for the P3.
I'll let you know how it goes!
Merry Christmas!
Did you go with the PTG/II or OC9? I think one of those two is going to be my start of the new year treat

PTG/II.
Took a chance on it as the reviews are really good and it is supposed to have a warm sound.
Cool. Thats where I'm leaning so I'll be interested in your thoughts.

One thing the 740ml has taught me though is microliners arent particularly forgiving

This is my 1st cart away from the Exact. Thought it was time to expand my education on them.
Plus, Hifonix do 0% finance so it made it all the more appealing. Could be the start of something. A new cart every year or so and pay for it like a gym membership. Haha.

One of my resolutions for the next year is planning out worthwhile upgrades. Looking at my system:

Grado Gold 3 > Walnut U-Turn Orbit > Vincent Pho-700 > Onkyo TX-8260 > Twin Cherry Polk RTI A7s

I assume I'm correct that I'm looking at $1,000 plus per component to get a meaningful upgrade (other than the cart, which is probably the best part of the system right now).

I guess a big question is there something I should shoot to upgrade first? All the components (once again, other than the cart) have been in my system for over 2 years now. Let's say my budget would be up to $1,500 per piece over the course of a couple years, except that I may go above that for one or two components. The MoFi Ultradeck looks real nice and I could see swinging that at some point.

One of my resolutions for the next year is planning out worthwhile upgrades. Looking at my system:

Grado Gold 3 > Walnut U-Turn Orbit > Vincent Pho-700 > Onkyo TX-8260 > Twin Cherry Polk RTI A7s

I assume I'm correct that I'm looking at $1,000 plus per component to get a meaningful upgrade (other than the cart, which is probably the best part of the system right now).

I guess a big question is there something I should shoot to upgrade first? All the components (once again, other than the cart) have been in my system for over 2 years now. Let's say my budget would be up to $1,500 per piece over the course of a couple years, except that I may go above that for one or two components. The MoFi Ultradeck looks real nice and I could see swinging that at some point.
The price pool is a theory, In my experience over the years it tends to be true. That said, the "price per piece" budget should just be an average and not written in stone. I think the consensus is to at least double the cost of your current equipment to notice a significant change. I'm just about to hit my end game on the main system, and if I had to do it all again, I would have started with the speakers.

The Gold3 is good enough to scale as your system grows. The caveat here is to be careful when it comes to choosing your turntable. The wrong one will pick up hum from the unshielded Grado. The UTurn and MoFi models work because of where their AC motors are positioned- as far away from the cartridge as possible. Had they used a sub platter underneath the platter, the Grado would hum. No issues with Pro-ject even with a sub platter setup because they use DC motors.

The $1000-2000 price point per component is probably the best place to aim. It’s the sweet spot in many manufacturer’s lines. It also gets one to a level where you should be happy long term. A couple of pieces of advice here: if you are comparing components and are really drawn to something that might be a bit of a stretch- save your money and buy that piece. If you don’t, you will regret it and always wonder. It’s less expensive to buy what you really want up front than to buy something lesser and end up selling that piece at a loss to get what you really wanted in the first place. Also, don’t be afraid of used modern (not vintage) gear. Your money will go much farther.

As far as what piece to upgrade first, this is what I’d do: set aside $1500 and then watch for sales or used gear like a hawk. Be ready to pounce when that deal comes along, because it will. Then repeat until your system is complete.

Edit: @AnthonyI is right about speakers first. The speakers you choose will lead you to the right amplifier for those speakers.

Actually sounds like a pretty fun job for you. I had to go used when I last did my system (which speakers apart one day is it for me now) so I had worked out about 3 options for each component and just jumped on one when something cropped up in budget. So for replacing stuff it was totally at random but with the end outcome in mind. If you don't have my budget constraints you can probably be a bit more rational

if you are comparing components and are really drawn to something that might be a bit of a stretch- save your money and buy that piece. If you don’t, you will regret it and always wonder. It’s less expensive to buy what you really want up front than to buy something lesser and end up selling that piece at a loss to get what you really wanted in the first place. Also, don’t be afraid of used modern (not vintage) gear. Your money will go much farther.
Agreed, opportunities seem to pop up more than you might think ;)

Exactly @wmeugene. @Mrjay07 scored a preowned Sutherland Insight for well under $1000. New they are $1400 and worth every penny. So you can keep some cash in your pocket or divert the saved funds for another piece.
I would assume that would be a significant upgrade from the PHO?

Also, the one place I don't know where to start with an upgrade is the Onkyo. I'm also running an Oppo into it, so I would want to get something equally at home with digital as vinyl.

Also, the one place I don't know where to start with an upgrade is the Onkyo. I'm also running an Oppo into it, so I would want to get something equally at home with digital as vinyl.
The Vincent to the Sutherland Insight is night and day. I don’t think anyone here has been dissatisfied with their Sutherlands.

As far as the Oppo, use the analog RCA outs. The digital conversion inside the Oppo is really good and likely better than what you’d find inside an amp in your budget with a built in DAC.

Also, I wouldn’t recommend buying any amplifier with a built in digital section or Bluetooth. The technology is still changing quickly. Resale value on such units are really bad.

I can vouch for the jump in quality from PHO-8 to Insight. It took a few weeks of use before it really blossomed and opened up.

@wmeugene

Here’s what I’d do:

MoFi Studiodeck $1399
Transfer your Grado
Wharfedale Lintons with Stands $1498
Watch for “open box” at MD now $1250
Preowned Insight $900
PrimaLuna EVO-100 amplifier $1999

Assuming “open box” on the speakers, that averages to $1387 per component. Open box at MD are often brand new factory fresh.

If you want to stretch further, go Ultradeck, and change the tubes on the PL to KT88s- $120 to $240 depending on what you get. $1597 per component with upgraded tubes.

If you need a FM tuner, watch for a used one. Tuners are cheap. Nice ones can be had for under $100.

Also, don’t forget you can offset some of the expense by selling your current gear.

@wmeugene

Here’s what I’d do:

MoFi Studiodeck $1399
Transfer your Grado
Preowned Insight $900

Assuming “open box” on the speakers, that averages to $1387 per component. Open box at MD are often brand new factory fresh.

If you want to stretch further, go Ultradeck, and change the tubes on the PL to KT88s- $120 to $240 depending on what you get. $1597 per component with upgraded tubes.

If you need a FM tuner, watch for a used one. Tuners are cheap. Nice ones can be had for under $100.

Also, don’t forget you can offset some of the expense by selling your current gear.
I’ll take it! Hahaha

@wmeugene

Here’s what I’d do:

MoFi Studiodeck $1399
Transfer your Grado
Preowned Insight $900

Thanks so much, that sounds like a great game plan.

I’ll take it! Hahaha
Thanks so much, that sounds like a great game plan.
Oops. My bad. The EVO-100 is $2400. The previous Classic was less expensive. That said, my recommendation doesn’t change.

Lots of info here. And I was on the same boat when I bought my PL. Did I want to spend $4400? No way in hell. Do I regret it? Not in the least. PrimaLuna amps are worth what they cost, and then some.

Oops. My bad. The EVO-100 is $2400. The previous Classic was less expensive. That said, my recommendation doesn’t change.

Lots of info here. And I was on the same boat when I bought my PL. Did I want to spend $4400? No way in hell. Do I regret it? Not in the least. PrimaLuna amps are worth what they cost, and then some.

...you can add me to this list. I was perfectly happy with the NAD, tubes were tempting, then there was the cost. In the end, one of the best choices I've made in the system, that being said, don't be afraid to call Upscale Audio and ask if they have any "open box" PrimaLuna's, that's where mine came from and I saved about $500...........it was dead on new, by the way ;)

Last edited:
Back