Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I dunno if it's just due to the number of different models they have but man there are a tonne of Luxman and Accuphase amps on Canuck Audio Mart right now.

EDIT- The Luxman naming convention is so damn confusing though. It's impossible to follow what falls where in any of the lines...

Last edited:
Yeah that makes perfect sense, nor do I quite frankly. In a perfect world I find an integrated with no streamer and no phono stage. Since I really don't need either of them...
I think of the built in phono on my Lux as a backup, it’s there if something happens to my external one. The phono stage hasn’t really evolved over the years, so having one built in doesn’t drag the value of an integrated down.

DACs and streamers though, they’re like boat anchors for an integrated/pre amp value. Best to leave that stuff out of a purchase. (Room correction software can be similar).

I think of the built in phono on my Lux as a backup, it’s there if something happens to my external one. The phono stage hasn’t really evolved over the years, so having one built in doesn’t drag the value of an integrated down.

DACs and streamers though, they’re like boat anchors for an integrated/pre amp value. Best to leave that stuff out of a purchase. (Room correction software can be similar).
Yeah ideally I would like to go without any software, streamer or room correct.

Anyone had ears on an Accuphase E 380?
@OMC I think you might have had one of these at one point?
Not me. I have the E650 which is class A while the E380 is class AB. I haven’t had the opportunity to listen to any of the Accuphase AB gear but I imagine the E380 sounds great with power beyond its wattage rating. The power supplies are very stout in Accuphase amps.

Schiit MODI, best bang for a budget buck, unless I can interest you in a DAC/Headphone Amp from the sale thread ;)

But would a goodwill CD player actually have a DAC out?
Scootin’ this over here. But what would a DAC out even look like? The CD player I have has similar to this:

IMG_6957.jpeg

Mostly just curious what a proper connection to the Schiit Modi would look like. As in, which connections go to the amp itself?

Scootin’ this over here. But what would a DAC out even look like? The CD player I have has similar to this:

View attachment 204057

Mostly just curious what a proper connection to the Schiit Modi would look like. As in, which connections go to the amp itself?
Looks like you would only have the option of using the optical out on this to use as a transport. My marantz also has a coax out which is how I have it hooked up to my DAC on the nad.

View attachment 204057

If that's the back of your CD player and it has an Optical out (Left lower corner), you'd use an optical out from the CD player, into the optical of the DAC, then analog out from the DAC to you're amp.

Double check to see if it has the optical out, I realized I had DVD players on the brain over at the other thread. A lot of people go Goodwill DVD players because they have the correct outputs to run to the DAC. So if your CD player has the optical out as pictured, your golden.

If that's the back of your CD player and it has an Optical out (Left lower corner), you'd use an optical out from the CD player, into the optical of the DAC, then analog out from the DAC to you're amp.

Double check to see if it has the optical out, I realized I had DVD players on the brain over at the other thread. A lot of people go Goodwill DVD players because they have the correct outputs to run to the DAC. So if your CD player has the optical out as pictured, your golden.
Perfect, just checked and it does have the optical out. So I’ll head down that path.

Ok those of you that use the Thunderon brush, do you have a method for knocking the dust off of it? I currently have the AudioQuest brush but it has an attached housing that you use to shake/knock the dust out of it, Thunderon looks like it's just the brush?

Ok those of you that use the Thunderon brush, do you have a method for knocking the dust off of it? I currently have the AudioQuest brush but it has an attached housing that you use to shake/knock the dust out of it, Thunderon looks like it's just the brush?
I honestly just lightly swat it along the edge of my cabinet.

Back