Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I watched a video testing my grado black vs a ortofon 2M Red and i will be honest i actually very much prefered the ortofon to the grado, it felt a lot more lush and less muddy. but then again what is the 8MZ cartridge fixes that whole issue

I watched a video testing my grado black vs a ortofon 2M Red and i will be honest i actually very much prefered the ortofon to the grado, it felt a lot more lush and less muddy. but then again what is the 8MZ cartridge fixes that whole issue

You cannot get a good idea of how something sounds from a video online. Not even close. Most online videos have roughly the audio equivalent of an MP3. The audio is the equivalent of looking at a painting from 50 feet away as opposed to viewing one up close in a properly lit art gallery.

And the Ortofon 2m Red is about as far from lush as you can get. It’s bright and aggressive. I understand why you like it- it grabs your attention. That quality will wear on you over time. Me? I don’t want to listen to a cartridge- I want to listen to music. The Grado may sound “muddy” in comparison- it’s not mud, it’s bass which the 2m Red sorely lacks. Oh, and the Red accentuates surface noise, which the Grados don’t.

The 8MZ stylus is an upgrade for any Prestige Series cartridge made in the last 15 years or so. It’s smoother and a bit more detailed than even the stylus on a Gold2.

i’m not trying to be a dick here, but how many times do you have to ask us a question and be given the same answer before you believe it?

I believe in all reality you have made up your mind as to what it is you want. You are simply looking for somebody to endorse that decision. I don’t think you’re going to find it from anybody who has any experience with the 2M Red.

If you really want one that bad, I have one in a matching headshell that is gathering dust. I can send it to you free of charge. I haven't sold it because I didn’t want to inflict upon anybody. But you can have it. I have only two conditions. First, you stop asking about it here. Second, When you get it and use it, and realize how much it sucks, you have to come back and admit it.

Urban Dictionary: Askhole

i’m not trying to be a dick here, but how many times do you have to ask us a question and be given the same answer before you believe it?

I believe in all reality you have made up your mind as to what it is you want. You are simply looking for somebody to endorse that decision. I don’t think you’re going to find it from anybody who has any experience with the 2M Red.

If you really want one that bad, I have one in a matching headshell that is gathering dust. I can send it to you free of charge. I haven't sold it because I didn’t want to inflict upon anybody. But you can have it. I have only two conditions. First, you stop asking about it here. Second, When you get it and use it, and realize how much it sucks, you have to come back and admit it.

Urban Dictionary: Askhole
ok i'll stop now

i just got stuck in hype and overthought things as well as spending money make me happy

But @HiFi Guy's response made me understand more and I'm feeling better (about cartridge not everything else)

sorry for being an askhole

Last edited:
You cannot get a good idea of how something sounds from a video online. Not even close. Most online videos have roughly the audio equivalent of an MP3. The audio is the equivalent of looking at a painting from 50 feet away as opposed to viewing one up close in a properly lit art gallery.

And the Ortofon 2m Red is about as far from lush as you can get. It’s bright and aggressive. I understand why you like it- it grabs your attention. That quality will wear on you over time. Me? I don’t want to listen to a cartridge- I want to listen to music. The Grado may sound “muddy” in comparison- it’s not mud, it’s bass which the 2m Red sorely lacks. Oh, and the Red accentuates surface noise, which the Grados don’t.

The 8MZ stylus is an upgrade for any Prestige Series cartridge made in the last 15 years or so. It’s smoother and a bit more detailed than even the stylus on a Gold2.
Agreed - I hate the ortofon red. Too harsh and shrill for my ears. Too clinical and cd like. Stick with the grado.

I know many of us "regulars" have chirped the following sentiments on the forum, I think it's important to see that the people some of us go to, see and understand the struggle some people fall into. Sean usually deals with equipment I can never afford, but I like his take on things and It contributes to my own understanding of gear as a whole, so I watch his videos. Steve Guttenburg is another, he speaks from an "every man" position, even though he deals in a lot of high end gear.

Anyway, I think a lot of people get into this cycle so I thought it would be worth sharing and might help make the hobby fun for some of us that have "lost our way" so to speak :)

I'm thinking of doing a Mani on top of another similar size headphone amp but also keep my powered speakers and just switch the cables from amp to speakers

I recently did this with a new setup. If you do a Mani/Magni combo, you won’t have to switch any cables. The RCA outs of the Magni mute whenever you plug your headphones in.

I recently did this with a new setup. If you do a Mani/Magni combo, you won’t have to switch any cables. The RCA outs of the Magni mute whenever you plug your headphones in.
I got recommended to use a liquid spark instead because it has a warmer sound

I dunno if it will do that though

It will. According to the Liquid Spark user's manual, "The preamp output is only active when headphones are not plugged in."
Wow thanks for that

I'll just connect the spark to my powered speakers using my monoprice RCA cable and the rest through blue jeans and have them both available for whenever

also nevermind about my paranoia about the right cartridge and shit.. though there is probably something more tuned for my ears the grado black sounds amazing with mitski rn

So the basement reno's are about to begin and I just picked up the new speakers that will make up the crux of the system down there. I'm not sure yet whether there will be a TT in the basement since there's zero chance it will hold a candle to the upstairs system and most of the vinyl will be housed upstairs. But here's what I went with. 3 Revel M10s in black for the front left right and centre. Two Revel M8s in white for the rears and a Revel B10 Sub (10 inch 800 Watt). The speakers will all be wall mounted. Preeeeetty excited.

201002_revel.jpgRevel_M8_Pair_RT-1605x1605px-hero.png20200203_181542.jpg

So the basement reno's are about to begin and I just picked up the new speakers that will make up the crux of the system down there. I'm not sure yet whether there will be a TT in the basement since there's zero chance it will hold a candle to the upstairs system and most of the vinyl will be housed upstairs. But here's what I went with. 3 Revel M10s in black for the front left right and centre. Two Revel M8s in white for the rears and a Revel B10 Sub (10 inch 800 Watt). The speakers will all be wall mounted. Preeeeetty excited.

View attachment 31482View attachment 31483View attachment 31485
holy shit thats a lot of speakers

holy shit thats a lot of speakers
Well, the pictures are misleading, it's five speakers and sub total. I just didn't have individual pictures of some of them. It's not actually 9 speakers like the images seem to indicate.

Well, the pictures are misleading, it's five speakers and sub total. I just didn't have individual pictures of some of them. It's not actually 9 speakers like the images seem to indicate.

You weren’t tempted by a full 9.2 surround system with upfiring atmos speakers on top of all 9 😂😂😂

Back