Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Oh I forgot to mention. No tubes. I can never own tubes. My brain cannot deal with tubes, the idea that MAYBE it could sound better with different tubes, or maybe it sounded better a month ago because maybe the tubes are going, or maybe it's just one tube going and not all of them.

Absolutely not. I need something that works until it doesn't.

Okay question, here's my issue.
Okay actually I have a lot of issues but here's the CURRENT audio related issue...
IF I wanted to try to get my system running two channel stereo on a proper two channel amp BUT I still wanted to be able to run the 5.1 surround in that room using the same main L & R speakers that I'm using for the 2 channel stereo amp. Is there any way to do that considering the speakers only have one set of speaker posts?

I'm just trying to avoid buying ANOTHER AVR for a zillion dollars which will just go obsolete in two years, the one I have is fine for movies but I know it's my bottleneck for 2 channel listening.

Okay question, here's my issue.
Okay actually I have a lot of issues but here's the CURRENT audio related issue...
IF I wanted to try to get my system running two channel stereo on a proper two channel amp BUT I still wanted to be able to run the 5.1 surround in that room using the same main L & R speakers that I'm using for the 2 channel stereo amp. Is there any way to do that considering the speakers only have one set of speaker posts?

I'm just trying to avoid buying ANOTHER AVR for a zillion dollars which will just go obsolete in two years, the one I have is fine for movies but I know it's my bottleneck for 2 channel listening.

Two ways.

Option 1. An amp with a HT bypass input. Flick it to that and the AV would be able to send the single for the front two channels through the stereo amp. Dialling in the sub perfect for both may be tricky.

Option 2. Speaker switch. Let’s you switch between the amplifiers feeding the speakers. Also if the sub has both hi level and normal sub inputs you can connect the AVR to the sub input, the amp to the high level, dial each in individually and if it’s like my REL it will just play whichever is on and feeding it!

Last edited:
Two ways.

Option 1. An amp with a HT bypass input. Flick it to that and the AV would be able to send the single for the front two channels through the stereo amp. Dialling in the sub perfect for both may be tricky.

Option 2. Speaker switch. Let’s you switch between the amplifiers feeding the speakers. Also if the sub has both hi level and normal sub inputs you can connect the AVR to the sub input, the amp to the high level, dial each in individually and if it’s like my REL it will just play whichever is on and feeding it!

HT Bypass. Yes this is exactly what I want. I use the downstairs theatre for serious watching anyhow, with the size of the woofers on the L100s I would just use the sub on the stereo amp, not bother with it on the surround for upstairs.

Okay second question. How does it work? Like looking at the Luxman L590 AXII for instance, I don't see any inputs or outputs on the back that indicate how the signal gets from the Luxman to the Arcam? And I don't see any switches on the front that enable it. I tried downloading the specs but didn't really see any mention of it but apparently it's got it. I assume maybe it's triggered from the remote but would I be running a second set of speaker cables from the Luxman B posts to the Arcam L & R ins?

HT Bypass. Yes this is exactly what I want. I use the downstairs theatre for serious watching anyhow, with the size of the woofers on the L100s I would just use the sub on the stereo amp, not bother with it on the surround for upstairs.

Okay second question. How does it work? Like looking at the Luxman L590 AXII for instance, I don't see any inputs or outputs on the back that indicate how the signal gets from the Luxman to the Arcam? And I don't see any switches on the front that enable it. I tried downloading the specs but didn't really see any mention of it but apparently it's got it. I assume maybe it's triggered from the remote but would I be running a second set of speaker cables from the Luxman B posts to the Arcam L & R ins?

It’s the other way out. You consent the front right and left pre outs on the arcam to the input on the luxman that’s designated as the HT bypass one.

The arcam decodes the signal from Dolby/DTS and passes it line level to the luxman that can then control the volume and power the speakers.

Last edited:
It’s the other way out. You consent the front right and left pre outs on the arcam to the input on the luxman that’s designated as the HT bypass one.

The arcam decodes the signal from Dolby/DTs and passes it line level to the luxman that can then control the volume and power the speakers.
Oh so the speakers stay connected via speaker cable to the Arcam?

Oh so the speakers stay connected via speaker cable to the Arcam?

No to the luxman. The luxman is always powering the speakers. You’re effectively using the arcam as a surround sound preamplifier. It is doing all the decoding and placing things in the channels and then sending that over to the luxman to power the speakers.

Back