Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

It’s also fun to slag deb, I’m sure he deserves it for something!

Also on that point, deb treat poor Nola to a couple of speaker stands before you buy the insight 😜
I use the Pangea LS300 speaker stands. Generally available under $200 a pair with multiple height options. Very solid but I would not advise sitting on them.

It’s also fun to slag deb, I’m sure he deserves it for something!

Also on that point, deb treat poor Nola to a couple of speaker stands before you buy the insight 😜
I'm still not certain the speakers can't go back on the rack if the table is sufficiently decoupled. To be clear what I wanted to do was make wall mounted shelves for everything with the cabling hidden in the walls. So, we're working backwards from that point and everything right now is a prototype to test what the final solution should look like. I'm still thinking a ceiling suspension system on braided cable isn't the worst idea ever.

I'm still not certain the speakers can't go back on the rack if the table is sufficiently decoupled. To be clear what I wanted to do was make wall mounted shelves for everything with the cabling hidden in the walls. So, we're working backwards from that point and everything right now is a prototype to test what the final solution should look like. I'm still thinking a ceiling suspension system on braided cable isn't the worst idea ever.

Oh yeah I’ve had a couple of beers and I’m totally teasing you. Honestly think I posted some desk stands and isolation pads for monitors a few pages bald and they’d totally sort that situation out if that’s the way you want to go.

Last edited:
A friend has asked me to help him put a setup together. Preferably $750 or less. Was thinking about suggesting a Fluance with a built in pre-amp but idk about entry level amps or speakers. Thoughts? He also has a TV with a soundbar already and could possibly go through that (I know I know but it'll be casual listening)

A friend has asked me to help him put a setup together. Preferably $750 or less. Was thinking about suggesting a Fluance with a built in pre-amp but idk about entry level amps or speakers. Thoughts? He also has a TV with a soundbar already and could possibly go through that (I know I know but it'll be casual
Turntable Lab has pre-built starter packages you can consider. If the plan is to just buy a turntable and use the soundbar, nothing wrong with going the Fluance route.

Turntable Lab has pre-built starter packages you can consider. If the plan is to just buy a turntable and use the soundbar, nothing wrong with going the Fluance route.

Oh that's cool. I'll give them a look

Assuming that VMP $80 off and free record deal combine I think I'm going to recommend him the fluance rt-81+, a year vmp membership, and just a 2x1 shelf. He can just hook the turntable to the sound bar to keep it simple to start, saves space, and gets him a lot of records to start.

Assuming that VMP $80 off and free record deal combine I think I'm going to recommend him the fluance rt-81+, a year vmp membership, and just a 2x1 shelf. He can just hook the turntable to the sound bar to keep it simple to start, saves space, and gets him a lot of records to start.
did somebody say referral??

Lol. Turns out his sonos doesn't have an aux port or a line in port. So gotta figure that out now

Is the Sonos the soundbar he’s using? They don’t have a line in alright.

Two ways.

1. Use this Sonos instead. Has a line in and will let him also wirelessly send vinyl to the soundbar and any other Sonos speakers around the house.

2. Use one of these. Won’t act as a speaker but feed the turntable into its input and it will again allow its sound to be wirelessly passed to the soundbar and any other Sonos speakers.

Also bear in mind that neither the fluance tables or any Sonos speakers have a phono stage built in so you’ll also need to get one of them.

Is the Sonos the soundbar he’s using? They don’t have a line in alright.

Two ways.

1. Use this Sonos instead. Has a line in and will let him also wirelessly send vinyl to the soundbar and any other Sonos speakers around the house.

2. Use one of these. Won’t act as a speaker but feed the turntable into its input and it will again allow its sound to be wirelessly passed to the soundbar and any other Sonos speakers.

Also bear in mind that neither the fluance tables or any Sonos speakers have a phono stage built in so you’ll also need to get one of them.

He said he was open to getting speakers. Might recommend one of the ones from the ttl kit with a fluance

He said he was open to getting speakers. Might recommend one of the ones from the ttl kit with a fluance
I had a pair of audio engine speakers for a bit (think I saw those in one of the TTL kits) and was pretty impressed with them. The downside is that last I checked there’s no volume remote so you have to control the volume at the speakers.

I think my temptation from that ttl kit would be the bundle of the AT-LP5 with the spinbase. It’s an under-rated table and the price for it and the spinbase is a steal. Could even use the extra in the budget to get the better MicroLine stylus for the cartridge on it.

Last edited:
SpinBase is a solid option if he’s space-limited and/or doesn’t care about a pronounced stereo. It’s compact, it sounds pretty good, it has a built in phono stage, and it supports Bluetooth and Aux inputs.

I think my temptation from that ttl kit would be the bundle of the AT-LP5 with the spinbase. It’s an under-rated table and the price for it and the spinbase is a steal. Could even use the extra in the budget to get the better MicroLine stylus for the cartridge on it.

SpinBase is a solid option if he’s space-limited and/or doesn’t care about a pronounced stereo. It’s compact, it sounds pretty good, it has a built in phono stage, and it supports Bluetooth and Aux inputs.

Space isn't so much an issue as it is me wanting to balance simplicity with an obvious upgrade path. That's why I'm leaning fluance because there's easy upgrades and it has auto stop which is great for someone new to the hobby

Back