Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Well, it was designed by Allan Perkins. Compared to a Spiral Groove table it's bargain basement.

Something else being more expensive doesn’t make it any less nuts though lol.

From a personal perspective the design leaves me cold like most mofi, their stuff is just too monochromatic and monolithic for my tastes.

Something else being more expensive doesn’t make it any less nuts though lol.

From a personal perspective the design leaves me cold like most mofi, their stuff is just too monochromatic and monolithic for my tastes.
Aesthetics are always a crap shoot, I feel they're leaning towards a vintage/modern look and I get why, but it's definitely a personal thing...............if you're ok with the price tag ;)

FML!

Was doing some cleaning earlier and just went to spin a record. I don’t remember catching the cartridge and did no different to I ever had but the cantilever is gone completely from it!

Motherfucker!

Last edited:
I’d heard sapphire cantilevers were much more fragile but i didn’t realise quite how much more! Didn’t clean the table any differently to how I ever did before!
whenever a duster approaches my table I will unlatch the tonearm and rotate it as far away from the work area as possible. the risk is too great!

My NAD C375BEE went kaputt back in June, local shop couldn't fix it, got it sent to NAD 6 weeks ago, and today I finally got the call that almost every capacitor is blown and cost $800+ to fix. FML

@AnthonyI I know I got this seconhand from you about 2 years ago...how long did you have it? It doesn't make sense to me that it would need such extensive repairs already. Had I known I wouldn't have bought it. honestly.

Now secondly....I don't have all that money to blow, and I really miss playing records. I could easily spend ~$350, maybe even make ~$500 work. Still have to pay for the shop to ship the broken NAD back to me and then have to decide what to do with it, so theres more money there... Almost definitely gonna have to downgrade, recommendations available (You can see my other components in my signature.

The lesson here is dont spend money on expensive audio equipment (especially used) if you dont have the income to pay for repairs.

Man I can’t wait to ask my insurance agent about a cantilever on a cart.

I’m not even sure it’s covered, they’ll get back to me tomorrow but I’m skint right now. Between buying it and then my tumble dryer going kaput and needing replaced I have no spare money to buy fun things outside of the records I have preordered. I need to start saving next year, for someone earning good money I spend everything I earn!

I’ve remounted the hana but it may well be that as it’s nearly done that I go back to the Grado Gold 2 + 8mz for a year and see where I’m at.

Given this even if I get the money I might be looking Nagaoka wards for replaceable styli rather than a replacement or rebuild.

Last edited:
My NAD C375BEE went kaputt back in June, local shop couldn't fix it, got it sent to NAD 6 weeks ago, and today I finally got the call that almost every capacitor is blown and cost $800+ to fix. FML

@AnthonyI I know I got this seconhand from you about 2 years ago...how long did you have it? It doesn't make sense to me that it would need such extensive repairs already. Had I known I wouldn't have bought it. honestly.

Now secondly....I don't have all that money to blow, and I really miss playing records. I could easily spend ~$350, maybe even make ~$500 work. Still have to pay for the shop to ship the broken NAD back to me and then have to decide what to do with it, so theres more money there... Almost definitely gonna have to downgrade, recommendations available (You can see my other components in my signature.

The lesson here is dont spend money on expensive audio equipment (especially used) if you dont have the income to pay for repairs.
Wow, I kind of don't know what to say. I had it for a good while and had the limit go off once because it overheated because it was tucked into the cabinet I had then, outside of that, never had a problem once I moved it. Every capacitor being blown seems really odd, I'm not saying that's not the case, but all of them?

I don't know, I'm sorry to hear that, but not sure what else to say.

@DJSJ, if you had this running through your Panamax, I'd definitely reach out to them and see what they say. You've got nothing to loose at this point, no?
It's always been connected through the panamax, yeah.

Would a power surge even make sense? It just shut off one day; all over components connected to the panamax, and the panamax itself is completely fine. What would I even write to them; "Hey, I had a amplifier connected through your power conditioner, and now it's not working, can you reimburse me for it?" I'd just get laughed away.

Back