Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Cartridge making still seems like voodoo to me. How the hell do you coil anything 6000 times inside that small of a housing?
It is a bit of voodoo/snakeoil here. The higher turn count doesn't actually make the signal travel farther. The electromagnetic field doesn't travel linearly along the wire, at least not in the traditional series of electron exchanges sense. Winding count directly correlates to amplitude of signal precisely because it is more about surface area of the windings than the length of the wire itself. If they used the larger wire and wound it 6000 times you'd have a much larger cartridge body that was also a high output cartridge that performed likely within the same spec as the one with wires 1/16th in diameter. Considering the low currents involved there's be no real heat dissipation to be concerned with. It's strictly achieving low or high output within the confines of the cartridge body.

If you've ever unwound a small transformer coil you'd find wires that are thinner than human hair and that's how one obtains 6000 turns in such a small form factor.

It is a bit of voodoo/snakeoil here. The higher turn count doesn't actually make the signal travel farther. The electromagnetic field doesn't travel linearly along the wire, at least not in the traditional series of electron exchanges sense. Winding count directly correlates to amplitude of signal precisely because it is more about surface area of the windings than the length of the wire itself. If they used the larger wire and wound it 6000 times you'd have a much larger cartridge body that was also a high output cartridge that performed likely within the same spec as the one with wires 1/16th in diameter. Considering the low currents involved there's be no real heat dissipation to be concerned with. It's strictly achieving low or high output within the confines of the cartridge body.

If you've ever unwound a small transformer coil you'd find wires that are thinner than human hair and that's how one obtains 6000 turns in such a small form factor.
Makes sense.

BUT HOW ARE THEY MAKING AND WINDING THE WIRE THAT'S SO THIN!!?

sooo did you actually buy a Paua?
Not quite yet. I'm trying to talk myself out of it. But it's a "good" price (still insane yes but better insane) and comparatively not THAT much more than the MIMC Star when you consider the rebuild is only $550. I'd never get a better cart rebuilt for that little so the initial outlay doesn't seem as bonkers. Of course if Ledermann retires and the company folds or gets sold to some faceless corporation that jacks the rebuild cost through the roof then it's all for naught anyhow...

I hate to say it, but this kept creeping in my head while demoing the MIMIC Star
Well I mean it's literally the main reason I'm going Soundsmith, replacement cost. And it's the sort of thing that could cease to exist with no notice. If the company was sold to a larger brand you absolutely know that cheap rebuild side of things would end fairly quickly.

I've had a thought.
What's to stop me from buying a busted up used Zephyr MIMC Star or Paua and then just paying the $300-550 to get it rebuilt? You don't need to be the original owner as far as I understand no?

I've had a thought.
What's to stop me from buying a busted up used Zephyr MIMC Star or Paua and then just paying the $300-550 to get it rebuilt? You don't need to be the original owner as far as I understand no?
You can, I thought about it, but the "busted up" part may be what bites you in the ass. Meaning if it's just the usual wear and tear it's no problem, but if someone abused it beyond that in some way that might not be noticeable you might not get the rebuild price. I'm sure we're not the first two to think about that "scheme" ;)

You can, I thought about it, but the "busted up" part may be what bites you in the ass. Meaning if it's just the usual wear and tear it's no problem, but if someone abused it beyond that in some way that might not be noticeable you might not get the rebuild price. I'm sure we're not the first two to think about that "scheme" ;)
Yeah it's a risk I suppose. I think most sellers on Audiomart would be fine as long as they have good reviews. There's a few up there right now but none of the newer ES models.

also, is it that easy to find a busted up one?

oh yea...200 hours doesnt mean busted up to me haha. i'd take a gamble on that if they have good ratings.
Yeah I was being hyperbolic really, mainly thinking I would never buy a used cart from some random online. But in this case the danger is almost completely mitigated by the cheap rebuild cost, as long as the thing hasn't been sitting at the bottom of a lake for the past 6 months.

Yeah I was being hyperbolic really, mainly thinking I would never buy a used cart from some random online. But in this case the danger is almost completely mitigated by the cheap rebuild cost, as long as the thing hasn't been sitting at the bottom of a lake for the past 6 months.
I'd say the odds are in your favor when you consider it makes perfect sense to sell a cartridge with worn-out stylus if the seller simply doesn't want to bother with a rebuild (for any number of reasons). At that point, you either throw it in a drawer or sell it. I also can imagine you'd be able to get a pretty good deal.

Back