Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Look at the fun museum display the Sabre has:
Precision Machined Sabre Cartridges

There was a real cool front shot of it in one of the reviews I read, but I’ll be damned if I can find it right now.

I'm done...........really, no lie ;)

Love everything about it out of the box and I can't wait until it opens up a bit, great detail and clarity, soundstage, tracks fantastic and has the warmth I wanted. A thanks to Rich for some helpful conversations.

Grado Sonata3 LO
View attachment 183316

What’s the difference between the Lo and High versions?

What’s the difference between the Lo and High versions?
The Reference has higher output due to more windings in the coil. It’s around a mile of copper in the Reference vs 7 feet of thicker wire in the Statement.
I read this as meaning low output has a thicker, shorter wire inside. So less distance to travel means less chance of sound degradation?

I read this as meaning low output has a thicker, shorter wire inside. So less distance to travel means less chance of sound degradation?

From Grado:

It comes in both high- and low-output versions, 4mV and 1mV respectively, and also in a mono iteration. John Grado says “the high-output cartridges have 6000 turns of wire on the bobbins while the low outputs have 380 turns. The length of wire in the high outputs is 125 feet compared to 7 feet in the low outputs. Because we have fewer turns on the low outputs, we can use a much larger size wire, close to 16 times the diameter. So, the signal has a shorter distance to travel (7 feet from 125 feet), and the signal can flow more easily due to the larger wire. We feel this adds some speed to the signal and gives tighter detail at the extremities of the frequency range.”

From Grado:

It comes in both high- and low-output versions, 4mV and 1mV respectively, and also in a mono iteration. John Grado says “the high-output cartridges have 6000 turns of wire on the bobbins while the low outputs have 380 turns. The length of wire in the high outputs is 125 feet compared to 7 feet in the low outputs. Because we have fewer turns on the low outputs, we can use a much larger size wire, close to 16 times the diameter. So, the signal has a shorter distance to travel (7 feet from 125 feet), and the signal can flow more easily due to the larger wire. We feel this adds some speed to the signal and gives tighter detail at the extremities of the frequency range.”
Cartridge making still seems like voodoo to me. How the hell do you coil anything 6000 times inside that small of a housing?

Back