Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

What are the thoughts on Black Ice equipment? This is very intriguing to me:

I read of at least one user using it to zero in azimuth instead of just correcting phase and mentioned that the cross talk stuff still did it’s magic.
Black Ice is (kinda) Jolida. They make good gear. I ran a JD801ARC for a year or so before I did my Decware/KingKo head-to-head. I sold it to @Jango, though he hasn’t been active here for a while.

What are the thoughts on Black Ice equipment? This is very intriguing to me:

I read of at least one user using it to zero in azimuth instead of just correcting phase and mentioned that the cross talk stuff still did it’s magic.
I'm happy with my Black Ice amp, but don't know about this unit. Service was great too, had direct conversation and help with a few questions.

so i was kinda arguing with someone on the VMP discord about and they basically said when I recommended a Uturn or a schiit product they said that "they make budget parts only so they cant afford the greater parts for cheaper like one owned by a big parent company" and instead recommended moving to a pro-ject or rega turntable and moving to the ifi zen air phono and an openbox zen signature (since they're a bigger company that can afford the higher quality gear for lower prices). i felt kinda bothered by this so I wanted to hear what you recommendations would be for upgrading from my u-turn (which apparently has a budget tonearm not fit for hifi content)

so i was kinda arguing with someone on the VMP discord about and they basically said when I recommended a Uturn or a schiit product they said that "they make budget parts only so they cant afford the greater parts for cheaper like one owned by a big parent company" and instead recommended moving to a pro-ject or rega turntable and moving to the ifi zen air phono and an openbox zen signature (since they're a bigger company that can afford the higher quality gear for lower prices). i felt kinda bothered by this so I wanted to hear what you recommendations would be for upgrading from my u-turn (which apparently has a budget tonearm not fit for hifi content)
  • "Budget" doesn't mean it's of poor quality
  • Bigger companies DO NOT always put better components in their gear
  • "HiFi Content"??? Whoever stated this part is talking out their back side :)
There is very little equipment made today that is not "good" and more than capable of producing "HiFi Content". It does boil down to your budget ultimately, I can spend a lot more than I have, but I don't, or need to. Find the "best" in your budget and enjoy the music ;)

• "Budget" doesn't mean it's of poor quality
  • Bigger companies DO NOT always put better components in their gear
  • "HiFi Content"??? Whoever stated this part is talking out their back side :)
There is very little equipment made today that is not "good" and more than capable of producing "HiFi Content". It does boil down to your budget ultimately, I can spend a lot more than I have, but I don't, or need to. Find the "best" in your budget and enjoy the music ;)

the hifi content thing is just a word I came up with, mostly referring to getting the best of the audiophile level albums I'm getting.... and it was more that they considered the tonearm of the turn to not be as good as the fluance... i was partially angry for him saying my u-turn was not as high end as I wanted it to be... since I do wanna upgrade but I dunno what i'd do to... they mostly stated that a project or rega was a step up and that schiit wasn't as good as an ifi which made me a little angry because I don't wanna bat for the wrong team

Schiit and u-turn are well respected within their price points. A side step will only be a sidestep.

Are you happy with your system?

If so, who cares what others think?

If not, is it worth it to double your investment to remain in the same tier? You’re probably gonna need to spend a grand to get a real return in switching tables…

Are you happy with your system?
yeah...
If so who cares what others think?
i care what other people think... I'm very much a pushover in that regard... really caring about doing what satisfies the most people.. i overthink a lot and they did give a more reserved take later on about how "if we just save up more overall you get the noticeable step up compared to just using digital, vinyl is already a luxury so be patient first"... i just wanna own pretty discs

yeah...

i care what other people think... I'm very much a pushover in that regard... really caring about doing what satisfies the most people.. i overthink a lot and they did give a more reserved take later on about how "if we just save up more overall you get the noticeable step up compared to just using digital, vinyl is already a luxury so be patient first"... i just wanna own pretty discs
So here’s the deal… you are happy with your system. This random dude on the internet has more than likely never owned either item and is making value judgements on something he has never heard, that… again from actual users… are highly respected for their price point. Also, how likely is he to ever hear your system, so why attempt to please him at all?

Both companies have been growing and improving with time. Both companies have thousands and thousands of satisfied customers. Both companies have been favorably reviewed by the likes of Steve Guttenberg and Anthony Robinson, people who have heard a lot more equipment then this dude on the discord has likely ever heard.

The other thing here is, there will always be a more high end option. Doesn't mean you should worry about that! I've been able to figure out what sound I like and how to get it and am choosing my pieces carefully moving forward. Will even probably audition stuff after I get past the cd transport. (I saw a network transport today, like what the actual fuck?)

Last edited:
yeah...

As you’ll see from my last few posts. I’ve just replaced £7k worth of gear with £3k worth of gear and it sounds much better as my old set up was way, way too much for the room I had it in. What sounds mint in one persons system might sound proper shit in another. Don’t sweat it. When it’s time to upgrade see if you can get some demos done, see what you like in your price range, buy it, enjoy the subjectivity of sound, fuck everyone else.

And people talk about noticeable increase in quality. I’m not sure I buy it. Sure when you’ve a system you can’t listen to at low levels but if you like neutral carts you’re going to prefer an AT 540 to a Nag mp200. Even though it’s half the cost. It’s surely about the, erm, sonics that best suits your ear because otherwise you’ll pay a ton of cash for something someone else digs that you may think is a bit off and you’re then in the game of either trying to defy your instincts to convince yourself you like it, you’re going to stop listening to music or you’re going to have to shell out another wedge to go round again.

So yeah. Buy what you like. Not random VMP discord dickheads

It’s surely about the, erm, sonics that best suits your ear because otherwise you’ll pay a ton of cash for something someone else digs that you may think is a bit off and you’re then in the game of either trying to defy your instincts to convince yourself you like it, you’re going to stop listening to music or you’re going to have to shell out another wedge to go round again.
Exactly, we all have different ears, different preferences, there is no right or wrong, there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to gear.

Both companies have been favorably reviewed by the likes of Steve Guttenberg and Anthony Robinson, people who have heard a lot more equipment then this dude on the discord has likely ever heard.
I stated that and he claimed "you forgot to add that they were payed" even though he is technically a technical support guy who gets a lot of stuff from project (apparently he's the big hifi guy in his city and knows the differences that make the U-turn not as good as a debut carbon Pro).. so since he received a lot of that he is at least a little biased

I just kinda wanna vent about this because he treats himself like the expert because he got a special role and has owned a Mani and apparently can state how it's not as good as the ifi because the parent company has more money to put more expensive things into the budget products

I stated that and he claimed "you forgot to add that they were payed" even though he is technically a technical support guy who gets a lot of stuff from project.. so since he received a lot of that he is at least a little biased

I just kinda wanna vent about this because he treats himself like the expert because he got a special role and has owned a Mani and apparently can state how it's not as good as the ifi because the parent company has more money to put more expensive things into the budget products
grain of salt. He showed his bias, so he is unreliable.

I stated that and he claimed "you forgot to add that they were payed" even though he is technically a technical support guy who gets a lot of stuff from project (apparently he's the big hifi guy in his city and knows the differences that make the U-turn not as good as a debut carbon Pro).. so since he received a lot of that he is at least a little biased

typical audiophile snobbery. it’s a hobby that attracts close-minded nerds.

grain of salt. He showed his bias, so he is unreliable.
I just had to vent because he is treated like he is completely correct there and it's clear no one can argue with him because "he has to set up and try this equipment".. like yeah you only talk about the stuff you know and don't trust other critics, I just wanna be told what is good or not

I just had to vent because he is treated like he is completely correct there and it's clear no one can argue with him because "he has to set up and try this equipment".. like yeah you only talk about the stuff you know and don't trust other critics, I just wanna be told what is good or not

The only person who can tell you that is yourself. There is so much good stuff out there and so many options. You just have to test some things and settle on the things that make you happy and enjoy your music. No one else matters, particularly the opinion of any one mouthy gobshite online, and to a degree that includes everyone on here as well.

Last edited:
I posted about it taking about it more but the issue is that I am a heavy conformist and just want an objective way to be told the best

The problem is that objectivity requires verifiable fact and art and appreciation and enjoyment of art are heavily subjective. What makes one person happy really irks another. Just like you can’t force yourself to make a band your favourite band to please others, no matter how hard you try, you can’t make how you like to hear it presented change either.

Also if you want to lean on the thoughts and opinions of people for whatever reason randomers online aren’t the best outlet, all of us included. Lean on the people who want to see you happy and they will try to help you because they want to see you happy.

Last edited:
Back